Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Question & Answers about Blowing Out the B-pillar

Received a question about total sidewall removal on a four-door vehicle. Just wanted to share this with you and bring the recent article to your attention.

Question- I was hoping you could send me a step by step procedure guide on the rip and blitz operation (removal of both doors and b-post). I remember how to perform this operation but some good guidelines would be great for our training classes.

My Reply-

I wrote up the sidewall removal evolution procedures as the University of Extrication article for December. Photos there are of two real-world incidents where the Plano TX firefighters performed <br />this evolution. Look that over and let me know what additional help you need with this. It is a <br />very beneficial assignment for your firefighters to know how to accomplish.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Arrow

Hello!

I found a webpage which could perhaps also answer the question. Go to <a href="http://www.blacktownfirerescue.org/doubledoor.htm" target="_blank">Blacktown Fire Rescue Webpage (Australia)</a>.
    Jorg Heck
    Airbag&Co, Germany/Austria
    http://airbag.feuerwehr.org

Hey guys;

Two serious tactical errors demonstrated on the Blacktown Australia website.

1) If you cut the top of the B-pillar BEFORE you blow out the bottom, you will most likely drive the fresh cuts at the top right into the patient's head. Blow out the bottom first then cut the top.

2) Blow out the B-pillar by using the spreader HORIZONTALLY...not vertically. Less resistance. Faster completion. Less crushing of the rocker channel. Quicker tearing of the layers of metal at the bottom of the B-pillar.

Ron Moore
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information