Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.T.

afd767
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default R.I.T.

HI. I AM A FF/EMT FOR CITY OF ANDERSON, INDIANA. WE HAVE 130 FULL-TIME FIREFIGHTERS, EMTS, AND 10 FF/PARAMEDIC. WE HAVE 5 ENGINES, 3 AERIALS, 2 HEAVY RESCUES, 3 MEDIC TRUCKS, AND 1 BATT. OUR DEPT IS CURRENTLY TRYING TO START A R.I.T TEAM. THEY ARE WANTING TO SHUT DOWN A ENGINE TO COVER THIS TEAM. I AM INTERESTED IN OTHER DEPTS POLICIES ON THEIR R.I.T. AND YOUR INPUT ON A GOOD WAY TO RUN THIS TEAM WITH OUT SHUTTING DOWN A ENGINE. STAY IN AND STAY SAFE. THANK YOU.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERY ONE, SO FAR THAT HAS REPLYED. IT IS ALL HELPFUL.

[This message has been edited by afd767 (edited February 28, 1999).]

Halligan84
    Firehouse.com Guest

It would seem to make more sense to train/equip all of your companies to perform this function. Extremely important job, but not rocket science. Having one dedicated RIT/FAST company probably only means that it will be in service somewhere else when you really need it. Murphy on the job!

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many departments in my area have also just started using a Rapid Intervention Company. For a while the thought process was that only trained members could perform this function. I personally feel that RIT is as basic a venting, or search and rescue, etc. It is a function that all members should be able and prepared to perform. Yes, additional training on techniques are good, but anyone should be able to be assigned to this function. The local policy is now to either assign the function to a company not committed on the fireground, or to pre-designate a company on the runcards.

------------------
    Remember, when the Chief says "gimme a second" he might just be collecting his thoughts!

Dave LeBlanc
    hfdfao@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by hfdfao (edited 01-20-99).]

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I still think that RIT is a job for the most trained and experienced people. If you are the one they are looking for, who do you want to come get you? When the team is put in service the conditions are going to be as bad as they get. You will be under the stress of looking for one of the Brothers or Sisters. Just my 2 cents.

Truckie75
    Firehouse.com Guest

All firefighters should be trained in the R.I.T. concept. You never know when it will be your turn to perform the R.I.T. functions. As stated earlier "it is not rocket science." R.I.T. members should be experienced interior firefighters with rescue training. This is not a job for the probies or the juniors.

dminter
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's true that all firefighters should be trained in basic firefighter rescue, if your going to have a designated R.I.T , the members should have more advanced training , yes these members should be expierenced and medical trained , your basically combining search and rescue ,confined space, collapse rescue , technical rope , trench rescue , and of course victim extrication. These team members should have advanced S.C.B.A Training forcible entry and using both hand and power tools.As far as designating an engine company or taking one out of service, you shouldnt have to do this to have a team , study your sop's for response . equip an engine co. at each station or battalion to respond with normal assingment or cross train with a mutual aid department to back each other up on fire responses.

Scott Clark
    Firehouse.com Guest

To: dminter and Truckie75, I think your right on your thoughts but, don't forget that there is usually only 4 people sent in to do the actual rescue. There is more outside support activities happening than anything else. RIT needs to become a little more user friendly and help out those departments that are a little less fortunate. For big departments, they can afford to have all there RIT people super certified. It's the poor little FD's I feel sorry for. There needs to be a happy medium here some where. And yes, I'm exploring that area and not winning any fans.

LadderCo13
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Indy the next due engine or ladder is sent as the RIT TEAM. Once on the scene that is their sole job. If the incident requires more companys, it is at the descretion of the chief if the RIT TEAM is use for suppression. If this happens another company is immediately dispatched as the RIT TEAM.
    All personnel have been trained in RIT TEAM operations.

[This message has been edited by LadderCo13 (edited 02-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by LadderCo13 (edited 02-10-99).]

Resq Engineer
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just instituted a RIT. We added one engine to first alarms responses and designate the last arriving unit from our department on the scene to be the RIT. All members of the department are trained in firefighter rescue, and since the last arriving unit is the RIT, no one is given this assignment on every fire. We don't use the RIT for anything except standby until they are needed for firefighter rescue.

Jake
    Firehouse.com Guest

We got rid of 3 Pumpers 2 Trucks and 4 Squads to develope Rescues that would respond to EMS, MVA, R.I.T., and Fires as extra help.. Do not let them take your Engine out of service. We now have a shortage of Pumpers that has dramatically increased response times to structure fires for the first due Pump. We are doing everything possible to get those Pumpers back in service. "WATER WATER WATER - WE WILL ALWAYS NEED WATER"

ffMikeKfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi ,
    I am also a FF/EMT with a full-paid here in Kearny NJ. I am also the Secretary for our local witch has about 106 members. Our Department recentlyinstituted a RIT/ISO it is a rig that responds to all full assignments consisting of 2 men.(truthfully its a joke). we are bordered by 2 of yhe largest departments in NJ (NEWARK and JERSEY CITY). They automatically dispatch a RIT/FAST team to all working fires .It seems that the best way is to have your furthest incoming truck company be the FAST/RIT team. Therefore its best that multiple companies in the city be trained in this then they wont have to eliminate but add a company. It is the safest way and actually best for us .But with Operating budgets the smaller cities dont go with it. We all have to fight to keep our numbers up. We have about 15-17 men working per shift.so you can imagine what its like to pull up to a working job. Feel free to contact me , I should have copies of Jersey City SOG's/GOG's /SOP's or whatever you guys call them.

Mike Kaywork
    Firefighter
    Secretary FMBA Local #18
    109 Midland Ave.
    Kearny NJ 07032

KEN PAWLAK
    Firehouse.com Guest

OUR TOWN AND SURROUNDING TOWNS ARE GETTING TOGETHER TO FORM A REGIONAL RIT PROGRAM. WE ARE TRAINING A NUMBER OF MEMBERS FROM ALL THE DEPT. TO BE A PART OF THESE TEAMS. THE OBJECT OF THIS IS TO NOT TAKE AWAY MAN POWER FROM THE TOWN WHO HAS THE FIRE, THE RIT WILL COME FROM THE OTHER TOWNS IN THE AREA. THIS IS STILL IN THE EARLY STAGES BUT IT IS COMING TOGETHER WELL SO FAR. I HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE.

BROTHER-IN-BATTLE
    KEN PAWLAK
    ANSONIA,CT. FD

KEN PAWLAK
    Firehouse.com Guest

OUR TOWN AND SURROUNDING TOWNS ARE GETTING TOGETHER TO FORM A REGIONAL RIT PROGRAM. WE ARE TRAINING A NUMBER OF MEMBERS FROM ALL THE DEPT. TO BE A PART OF THESE TEAMS. THE OBJECT OF THIS IS TO NOT TAKE AWAY MAN POWER FROM THE TOWN WHO HAS THE FIRE, THE RIT WILL COME FROM THE OTHER TOWNS IN THE AREA. THIS IS STILL IN THE EARLY STAGES BUT IT IS COMING TOGETHER WELL SO FAR. I HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE.

BROTHER-IN-BATTLE
    KEN PAWLAK
    ANSONIA,CT. FD

fyrescue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department is currently working on a training program to prepare ourselves for RIT operations. Being a small volunteer dept. we have been called 3 time now to perform as a RIT at our neighboring dept.'s fires. I think you can make it as difficult as you want to certify your f/f's, but it is basic SCBA, search/rescue, firefighting, and self rescue skills we should all perform. I agree this is not the place for probies or juniors, but it's not rocket science. You need your best firefighters to do the job, but they don't need to walk on water. Because we only respond as a RIT to other dept.'s we can send our best, of course we expect the same when we call for one. The one reply I read said they use their last arriving engine for RIT while another posted they use their next arriving engine. I have to side with the next due piece theory. I call for RIT when I have a confirmed working fire, and want the RIT in place ASAP when our f/f's are going inside. This usually means if we have people off the first arriving engine going inside we will use at least a 2 person team off the next due piece to cover until the assigned RIT company arrives from our mutual aid department. Kind of a 2 step approach. Then this 2 person crew can be used while the RIT is in standby mode. We are currently working in our section of the county to bring all departments up to speed and on the same page. Since we are all volunteer in this section we are trying to develop a common SOP so you know what is expected when it's your turn to be the RIT. Be Safe.

Mike
    fyrescue@a-znet.com

Capt. Carl
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mike has the right idea about having the next due Company perform FAST or RIT.

According to the new OSHA Respiratory Standard 1910.134 secton g you need at least 2 outside before you can send anyone inside an IDLH atmoshpere (Stucture fire). This to me means I should have a RIT team on sceene as soon as the fire attack is ready to enter. I know of some larger career depts. in NJ that use later arriving units, To their credit thev'e been doing this for a while. Even before the standard came out. But I think they will have to re-evaluate there policies to meet the new "2 in 2 out".

Carl

bechereg
    Firehouse.com Guest

The departments in my area have adopted the policy that if it sounds like a worker, an additional Eng or Truck is dispatched as the RIT unit.
    I also beleive that ALL firefighters need to be trained in RIT/FAST procedures so that ANY company dispatched can fill that billett. USAR compnaies have their own role, lets not add RIT to their responsibilites or they will definitly be overworked.

Stay safe
    Ed

Ronald Kay
    Firehouse.com Guest

about a year ago our department special trained 4 units to respond as RIT. 2 Rescue Co. and 2 Engine company's. One of these units are dispatched to all Structure fires involving commercial occupancies or apartment buildings of 4 units or more,or of course they could be special called for at any fire if needed. I agree also that all members NEED to be trained in these rapid rescue techniques. I look forward to this summer when our Training bureau will be training 2 companies a day on RIT/FF rescue techniques, by the end of the summer all members of our department will be trained on FF rescue. I sure hope we never have to use these techniques, but its encouraging to know that all members on the fireground will be trained in RIT and will be able to perform a rescue if needed. I enjoyed reading all your comments on this subject. BE SAFE FELLOW BROTHERS/SISTERS !!

PFD502
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just a quick ???, is there any type of rit training material on the internet?

Looking forward to your reply.

PFD502

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just implemented a F.A.S.T company in our department on May 1, 1999. SOG calls for an additional ladder company to be called on report of W/F. This company reports to the command post with their necessary tools:
    Forcible Entry (hand & power)
    Spare SCBA w/facepiece and extra cylinder
    Thermal Imaging Camera
    Search ropes
    Portable radios, etc.
    This equipment is carried in a stokes basket which helps to keep the tools handy, is easy to carry, and can be used for victim removal if necessary. The team is to perform their exterior size-up and locate or deploy a charged 1 3/4" hose line and a ground ladder of appropriate length to reach the highest level of firefighting activity. This equipment is for the exclusive use of the team. If this F.A.S.T. Ladder company is needed by the IC for suppression activities, an additional company is called to replace it as the F.A.S.T company. This will most likely be an engine company because we only have 3 manned ladder companies on duty. All department members were given an awareness level training program in the rapid intervention concept. This training was provided by the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy over a 2 month period. We are currently scheduling another training program dealing with our own policies and new SOGs which include MAYDAY messages, FF Accountability, Fire Ground Rollcall, and Firefgihter Assist and Search Team. The ongoing training program will include hands on training dealing with firefighter rescue. At large scale incidents, it is very possible to have mutual aid companies serve as the F.A.S.T so joint training is something I think we should and will explore. Till next time, best wishes to all.

Dean C. Olsen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings to all,

I come from a small combination department in Snohomish County, Washington State. Our department has developed a RIT policy that meets the minimum standard of the laws. After a major fire in our community over a year ago, we spent the following seven months under the thumb of L&I. The main reason for the investigation was the lack of so called safety practices. We now train every member of the department the skills required to be a member of a RIT team.

When assigned to the RIT team at a fire, that team is dedicated at the entrance of the structure with a charged hose line and the necessary tools for the type of building. This team is not to be used for any other fire gorund activities!

In general our policy states that the first in Engine is not to enter a structure fire uless their is an immediate threat to the life of a person in the fire. If there is not life safety, then the team is not allowed to enter untill a second in unit arrives and the RIT team is established. Risk alot to save alot, risk nothing to save nothing.

Stay safe.

------------------
    Captain Dean C. Olsen

Thread Information