Default Fast/rit

Ive been doing FAST Ops for the better part of 6 years now. Im 24y/o and I will start by saying real FAST training is HARD ! Extremely physically demanding. Training cannot be done in an open engine bay or in your members room (if you're a volunteer debt). We do alot of inhouse training, but its done in ladder wells(staircases), closets, hallways and even behind the bar in our members room. We are totally blacked out, with a smoke machine working and we utilize an ACTUAL downed firefighter, not rescue Randy. Rescue Randy doesnt get mad if you drop him ! Another point Id like to add to the numerous ones previously stated by other members here is that a FAST Team should, and seems to work best if consisted of 2 pieces of devoted apparatus. Our first FAST box is an Engine/Pumper and a Truck. Obviously Engine is ground and lower levels and Truck is upper levels. Minor things like tools we carry and how we lay them out need not be stated, if you are not aware of that, then take FAST awarness/basic class and get back to me. Our driver DOES NOT LEAVE THE TRUCK. The FAST officer will report to command and gain intel while the team takes tools from our FAST compartment. One major point that Id like to make is you do NOT have time to change blades on your K-12s. Obviously sawzall blades are quick. During your initial size up, which EVERY team member should be doing, you will determine which saw blade will probably be used. But, you need to have 3 sawz ready to go on your mat. One with a Wood blade, one with metal and one with a tungsten or diamond blade. That way, you can quickly grab a different saw rather than change the blade. Start ALL of your gas operated tools once your get on scene. Thanks guys. Be safe, God Bless !!

Forum Member

My FAST response 2 days ago, our truck parked 2 blocks away from the scene. Why the heck would I leave my driver back there?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm with Bones. Once we arrive on scene as the RIT , our driver puts an scba on and becomes part of the RIT crew. Why leave a quailfied guy babysitting the truck?

Forum Member

Plus if you need something from the truck, that's why you have a junior ride with you

Leaving your driver with the truck isn't going to do anything. That's one less man to utuilize if something does in fact go wrong. Let's say your company gets moved up to mutual aid instead of FAST, then the driver can get the truck and reposition if it's away from the scene or needs a new location. But also in a case like that, the rest of the crew might need to head to the truck to get additional equipment, or maybe stretch a line. In that case, the crew needs to re-assemble, because in most cases the crew will be split up into Search and Rescue teams and positioned in tactical spots around the perimeter of the fire-building.

Back In Black

To be on the FAST team, some simple requirements.

Firefighter One
    FAST class from approved training program
    All mandatories up to date (fit-test, scba refresher, FAST refresher, etc)
    Two years since graduation from FF1
    Able to operate all equipment and tools.

Fast Team Leader will have all that and will be a company officer or the most experienced ff.

Some basic points from our SOP and my rules of thumb.

We do not cover our own response area for FAST, mutual aid is always utilized. We have two departments that we utilize for FAST. My preference is to ask for a FAST from both and use them for FAST and as a reserve company o/s. If it's a small job, then we'll ask the second due FAST to stage at our house as a move up. Doesn't always happen that way, but it's how I'd like to see it done.

When we respond as FAST, it is out of town.

We send the ladder company with min of four firefighters. The chaff has the option to join the FAST if qualified, or if not qualified will assist the FAST.

A Chief officer or ranking officer will respond to the command post, check in and "hover" (make his presence known). This officer will also find out the strategy and tactics being used, where firefighters are present in the building and gather other intelligence.

FAST Team leader will do a 360, while the team assembles the gear. Team leader will then come back, brief the team on hazards and responsiblities, send half the team (or a pair) to hoist ladders or do quick interventions.

We operate on our own fireground channel and will communicate to our chief at the command post.

Seems pretty standard.

npgert5819
    Firehouse.com Guest

PAT222- where are you from? if anywhere near New York you could try calling the Syracuse Fire Department Training division. if you need the #let me know

MembersZone Subscriber

Default F.a.s.t / R.i.c.c. Sog's

Does anyone have sog's that tey could share with us we are in the middle of writing new guidlines for our rapid intervention teams. Thank you, Capt. Paul Lindfors, Sedona Fire AZ.

Forum Member
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

my dept. FAST has 12 guys. all FF1, FF survival, and FAST training, with numerous inhouse and mutual aid training at the minimum. when we respond we take an engine, that carries out FAST ropes and extra packs ( we do no have a ladder to take). we take as many guys that show up. can always use extra hands in doing things. our driver stays with the truck, usually the driver is only a driver and not FAST certified. we assemble our gear while our team leader alerts command that we are on scene. then as a team we all do a 360 walk around and hoist ladders, clear exit point of obstructions. Then we stage near command with our equipment and wait till we are called upon. once called upon (depending on the number of guys) 2 or 3 guys so in as search to find the victim. once the victim is found 2 or 3 more guys go in to help as rescue. the point is to maximize the air time and not to tire out a firefighter searching when there may be a quick way in to the victim. extra manpower can be sent in with the search or rescue as needed. This system to works pretty well to ease confusion and make timely extrication of victims.

Thread Information