Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    mfd632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question mininum equipmenent rit teams

what does your dept. use for eqipmenent for r.i.t team entry? without incumbering the team??

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Ok, depends on the situation: Our Rapid Intervention Team responds with a Heavy Rescue. This vehicle serves RIT/Vehicle Rescue/Light Tower/6 Bottle Cascade/Electric/Foam. When our RIT gets on the scene, we grab a stokes "plastic", and load it up with the SCBA to be used on the interior firefighter(s). Also, each RIT member carries a hand tool as well as personal equipment wire cutters, flashlight, radio, webbing etc. But it all boils down to what is needed inside the structure. If the RIT is dispatched inside for a disoriented firefighter, the RIT grabs the RIT SCBA and each a hand tool, and enter the structure. Alot of people ask if we take a hoseline. Well, if you've read some of these posts in the other RIT forums, I do not agree with the RIT taking in a hoseline. This hampers the rescue effort obviously, by reducing the speed of the S&R. If a firefighter(s) calls MAYDAY, this means their in trouble, and they need to be found ASAP. Taking a hose line in reduces the speed of the rescue, therefore I dont agree with it. People say, personal safety first. This is true. If we are dispatched in the structure, a hose team follows behind us..not keeping up with us, but we know there is a line in there, and ready to protect us. But to get back to the original ???, depends on the situation... Is there a collapse, firefighter trapped, disoriented, running out of air etc. Then we base the equipment needs on the information obtained. All situations will differ no matter what. I hope I have helped you out a little. Take Care and Be Safe.

Captain Matt Miller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I have one question to this reply. If you are going in after a downed firefighter and you get turned around how are you going to get out? Now you are not helping in anyway because now the IC is going to have to send in another crew to pull you out because taking in a line is to much trouble no body said the line had to be charged. The other line could have been pulled off by another in-coming company and not charged just for this simple use. Stay Safe

Captain Matt Miller
    Brooklyn Fire Protection District
    Engine Co.551

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We use ropes, with the rope being secured at the entry point. The rope is taken in, 10' in the doorway = 1knot in rope, 20' in the doorway = 2 knots etc. When you get turned around, you follow the knots to the exit. We are planning on utilizing the lighted rope, which we tried and liked it alot. I did not mention this in my first post, and I apoligize for this. But, I disagree 100 percent with taking a hoseline into the structure whether it is charged or not. The RIT should keep in steady contact with the IC, and if something were to happen, the IC is aware of the current area of the RIT. A hoseline dampens the rescue due to delayed responce to the victim(s). The rope is a much faster apprach and just as safe. But, as I stated previously, we still have a hoseteam advancing behind us, just not keeping up with the pace of the RIT. And if you feel that there is no difference between having a rope vs a hoseline, get some people together, and try this. There is a huge difference in time. But, this is my opinion, and everyone has there own guidelines. I feel just as safe with the rope practice than I do with the hoseline practice, but this is something that is trained on constantly, which is the only way to run a good, effective RIT (TRAINING). Take Care and Be Safe

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT
    Clairton Fire Dept

SKEETER243
    Firehouse.com Guest

The RIT will have at it's disposal, all the equiment they may "POSSIBLY" need. The equipment is stage next to the Command Post (where the RIT is staged) and the equipment they bring in will depend on the situation at hand. This is why the RIT Officer and his/her crew should be constantly accessing and sizing-up the fireground conditions and progress. You can use ropes or hoses, but you definetly should not go in with out one of these 'life lines' (if the others got into trouble, so can you). The conditions and the available equiment/manpower will also dictate what the RIT will be needing. If the RIT consists of 2 firefighters (due to manpower shortages early on in the incident) and the fire is still roaring start thinking hose line as your life line (charged or dry). If it is a collapse situation and the fire is all but out, ropes may allow you to deploy faster and carry other important equipment like SCBA btls. Don't fall into the trap of carrying the same equipment all the time. The stuff you used last time may not be needed or may even be useless this time around. Don't pin yourself down to a few items because they're east to carry. As a RIT crew leader, have your crew stage everything while you do the initial size-up. And then you must continue to re-access, re-access, and re-access. By doing this you can predict what you might need at any given time. Try to stay one step ahead of the incident.

RESPOND WITH PRIDE & COME HOME ALIVE !!

[This message has been edited by SKEETER243 (edited January 13, 2000).]

Thread Information