Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Captain Denney
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Need RIT protocols, please help

I am looking for established protocols for RIT teams. If anyone has these for your department, please e-mail me and let me know how I can obtain a copy. I really appreciate the help.

Thank You
    Benjiumen

MVFD120
    Firehouse.com Guest

please email me if you get any protocols
    the county i run in does not have any rit
    protocols per say and thank you mr.denney

Thomas Roy
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm sure alot of us could use some viewings of existing protocols - our department recently participated in RIT training sessions and are just touching on the surface of this need - if anyone has any protocols - I too would enjoy viewing them.. possibly they could be posted in this forum... or copy me at Thom.Roy@compaq.com
    enjoy

------------------
    Thomas Roy - LT FFD

smokinmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Let me jump on this wagon too. I would very much like to see some protocols/SOPs.
    Maybe the FIREHOUSE WEB TEAM could help direct us to source for established RIT protocols.

Hey WEB TEAM, what about some help?

smokinmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Hey guys, I was just surfing site for info re: protocols for RIT and ran accross the name of a Capt. Crawford with Pittsburg FD who is a "RIT trainer". His address is pbftrk33@aol.com....he said in one of his posts to contact him with any questions and he would try to help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck.

chiefalbpfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I am with a dept adjacent to Stockton, CA where I believe this all began. And yes, we not only have SOP's but we all have changed our methods of operation because of the RIT (or RIC ) because of the unfortuneate accident. We have everything you need. We now have an additional engine company assigned to the fire just to perform RIC responsibilities. And we use that engine (or another "extra" engine) to supply water for those members.

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hey all, good to see all the chat on the RIT forum. Just to let all of the Emergency Workers know, the RIT was designed and implemented by the City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire after the tragic loss of the 3 firefighters on Valentines Day a few years ago in Pittsburgh. One of the main RIT authors was Jim Crawford from Trk Company 33 in Pittsburgh who was on this tragic call. He is on these forums alot, and if you read into the other posts, you will find various SOP's that RIT's follow as well as posts from Jim. His name is PBFTRK33 on the forums. Take Care and Be Safe

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT
    Clairton Fire Dept

Halligan84
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'd be glad to provide the OG from our department and also some training material I have. E-mail me and I can reply with the info.

EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

It warms my heart to see so many firefighters looking to start and/or improve RIT/FAST teams because I was, on two occasions, one of the guys that needed it.

From my experiences I can tell you that while RIT/FAST protocols or SOPs have a great influence on the teams success, there are other factors that need to be adressed as well:

1. You got to have preplans. The structures in your territory have to be carefully and repeatedly checked for entry and exit, and for renovations. It may be time consuming, but knowing a second or third way in, or out, beforehand just might be the difference.

2. You have got to have a good firefighter accountability system in place. It's critical that someone maintain a board at every structure alarm that indicates who is inside and where. How else can you know who you're going in to look for, or where he was assigned?

3. I know there's disagreement about this, but ICS must be established. As an officer who has had to assume command I can tell you that too much happens for one guy to handle everything. If ICS is used things run smooth.

4. PASS devices must be worn and used. How many times have you followed a hose line looking for someone only to find it shut down and the hose crew doing something else?
    Those PASS devices are worth their weight in gold.

If those four things are properly addressed the chances of your RIT/FAST team having success is greatly increased.

Both my entrapments were my own fault. The official report for one blames flawed construction, but it was my youthfull overconfidence that got my, and my partners butts in a jam. A suspended ceiling fell, well, actually two, fell on us. The first one to fall and trap us was a typical modern grid with insulation, wires, BX, and high velocity hvac hose. It was hung from an old ornamental stamped metal ceiling that dropped on us too. We knew better. Hey, until then we thought we were good, smart firefighters. But we had our eyes opened. We weren't good, until then we were just lucky.

My experiences also taught me that air, breathing air, is what the guys inside will be desperatley needing. Make sure your RIT/FAST team carries air.

My air ran out, so did my partners. It was great seeing the dim flashlight beams of the search crews coming for us. It was great when they yanked me out. But, I would have given anything for AIR! Make sure you carry air bottles in.

Lying there trapped, when every move I made only caused my situation to worsen, was bad; but what made it even worse was having a radio I couldn't use. Everytime I fought to free my arm to key the mike something happened: a mutual aid unit called for directions, an engineer asked about nozzle pressure, a vent crew needed gas for the saw.
    I couldn't call and direct our rescuers to us. So make sure your company/department keeps the radio open!

I watched crews operating at a house fire a few weeks ago. A FAST team set up on the driveway. They had a stokes basket loaded with a tarp, saw, axe, halligan, come-a-long, cribbing, rope bags, and handlights. BUT, NO AIR! They were also standing around, smoking, with their gloves, air pacs, and masks at their feet.

Afterwards when the FAST team was ordered to stand down, I asked the FAST team officer why they didn't have air bottles or a spare air pack with their gear. "I'll share mine" was his answer.

Good luck with your RIT/FAST teams. The input and cooperation displayed by my brother and sister firefighters in this forum is outstanding, and I am very happy that you're taking this awesome responsibility seriously.

Thread Information