Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    DDP321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Researching RIT team

I need a little help.... Recently i have been asked by our training committee to research Rapid Intervention Teams to see how we can implement a team.
    I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts on any specialized training that the RIT team may need, thoughts on how many firefighters should make up a team, and thoughts on letting your mutual aid compaines become the RIT on fire scenes.
    I have read a lot of the postings and have gotten some good ideas but i would like to have a little more input on it..

Thanks

CSVFF45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

There are several important classes that should be taken to implement a RIT. One of the most important classes that I have taken is Firefighter Survival. This class was developed by the City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire. It is taught as a state certified class in the state of Pennsylvania. It teaches various types of escapes (Rope, Ladder, and Window), breathing techniques, breaching walls, and team work. This was a very physically demanding class, but well worth the efforts. Another class you may look at is Structural Fire Rescue. This class is heavily based on search techniques, in large and small structures. There are also a couple of RIT classes available. One is a two hour Fundamentals class, and the other a sixteen hour state certified class. Both of which give the structure and use of RIT.

As far as your mutual aid companies... they need to be involved from the onset. It may be a good idea to put together a commitee from all the companies that are interested in participating an draft some SOP's. You need to know who will be there when you need them. You can also read the replies in "Who should be your RIT?" Our area has recently become very dedicated to using the RIT, but we still have some bugs to work out. The knowledge and understanding is there, but we still lack structure. RIT is the way to go, the key word is discipline. Without it more people may be put in danger.

The classes that I mentioned are all available in the state of Pennsylvania. I am not sure if they will all be available in your area. If you get the opportunity, I highly recomend the Firefighter Survival Class for all interior firefighters. The lessons taught will stick in my mind for quite some time.

After my research I feel that a five man team is a good start. This team should consist of four properly trained, experienced, interior firefighters, and one person to act as a liason between command and the team. I hope some of these ideas will help.

CSVFF45
    Castle Shannon, PA

[This message has been edited by CSVFF45 (edited January 04, 2000).]

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Ok, where to start...

First off, I belive that your RIT should involve the mutual aid companies. Reason for this is that it does not effect your manpower on the scene. Manpower seems to be one of the main problems with running an effective RIT. Classes that I feel should be needed before being on a RIT include Essentials of Firefighting, SCBA, Advanced SCBA, Rapid Intervention, Firefighter Survival, and a Structure Burn Class. This does not mean that these are the only skills needed obviously. Our RIT also is trained in Vehicle Rescue <--- due to hydraulics, airbags etc, and we also have rope classes, Forcible Entry etc. Every rescue will differ whether its fire conditions, time of day, location of call etc. There are various classes out there that will assist you, and if you need more information, contact Jim Crawford from Pittsburgh Truck Company #33. He specializes in RIT training, and would be more than happy to assist you. The number to contact him is somewhere here in the RIT posts under PBFTRK33. Thanks and Be Safe...

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT
    Clairton Fire Dept (swPA)
    Instant Messenger=Scene25

Becca
    Firehouse.com Guest

I just went through an 8 hour class. Very interesting and not hard to implement. They suggested a team of five members but if two is all you can spare than do it with 2. Most of the eqipment they used was things that can be found at a local hardware store. If you want detail info email me. I might be able to snail mail you a copy of some of the handouts they gave us if you are interested.

sarge552
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our county fire depts. are all sending ff's through RIT training being taught by 2 state certified instructors that are on local f.d.'s. We ( each dept. ) train certain # of personnel and they will be our dept. RIT team. If a neighboring dept. goes on a large fire they will call on one of the mutual aid RIT teams so as not to take away from their manpower and fire suppression efforts.

mtlfdl7
    Firehouse.com Guest

James Crawford and John Piotrowski of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire have developed a 16 hour program dealing with rapid intervention teams and firefighter rescue. Unlike the "Saving Your Own" program which includes a lot of self-survival techniques, the "Rapid Intervention Crew Exercises" Program deals solely with rapid intervention team make-up, duties, emergency SCBA transfer, enlarging openings, removal techniques, disentanglement, and extrication of downed firefighters. This course is mainly hands-on in nature and students will get to extricate downed firefighters in live rescue scenarios. If you have access to the Working Fire Video Series, you can check out this course which was featured in the Summer of 1998. For more information, contact Fire Training Associates at PBFTRK33@aol.com.

Thread Information