smokinmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post box medics as rit crews?

Hey, need some insight on this issue please.

BACKGROUND...GPFD does not currently utilize a Rapid Intervention Team. Our EMS is currently provided by a private provider, which does not send a box to working structure fires. GPFD is planning to take over EMS in aug of 2000. It appears that the powers that be are planning to assign a box on first alarm assignments...now saying all that.........

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE CURRENTLY UTILIZE PARAMEDIC/FIREFIGHTERS FROM THE FIRST DUE MICU AS THIER RIT CREW??????

Please give details regarding your SOPs.

Thanx,
    GPFD EMTP/FF

Drew Smith
    Firehouse.com Guest

We provide ALS transport using cross-trained dual role personnel. Here is how we use these medics on structure fires:
    The rider/attendant on the ambulance jumps to the engine as 4th person. The ambulance driver follows in the engine in the ambulance. (we operate one station with 8 people-2 on amb/3 on eng/2 on trk/1 shift commander) Upon arrival the ambulance driver is 1/2 of the RIT. He teams with a member of another company as the preliminary RIT. Besides RIT this driver functions as hydrant person and utilites control. When we escalate to another alarm we get a 4-person mutual aid company as RIT to replace 2-person preliminary RIT.

Another FD I used to work for has there 2 medics function as the RIT and also provide for accountability and command post aid.

smokinmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your post Drew, I fear that I am going to need all the examples I can find to help convince our Chiefs to consider letting our box crews participate in RIT functions.

We staff daily;
    8 ALS Engines with 3 personnel each
    3 Trucks with 3 personnel each
    1 Air Truck with 1 person
    1 Bat. Chief

On Aug 1, 2000 that staffing will increase to 4 personnel on the 3 Trucks and 4 Primary MICU's will be added with 2 EMTP/FF each.

Our first alarm will send 2 Engines, 1 Truck, 1 Box, Air Truck and Bat. Chief.

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my area, we are volunteer fire and have career EMS during the day hours. The career personnel are cross trained as CT/PM and firefighter qualifications also (at least FF1, Haz Mat Awareness, and Vehicle Extrication). We can and do use them for the RIT or for suppression activities. They have been a valuable resource for the day time calls. They still respond on their ambulance and provide patient care if required. We were unfortunate enough to have had FF injuries while they were manning the RIT. The operation paused and they were relieved to care for the injuries.

Our manning varies, but as a minimum: 4 per engine, 4 on our truck, and 2 on the ambulance. We also have two mutual aid companies assigned with us for all structural calls.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our IRIC (initial RIC) is typically the plugman (primary) and engineer (secondary) from the first due engine. However, any firefighter can be a member of the IRIC, Even a BC and his assistant Why not use a medic/firefighter? An example is Phoenix Fire. PHX has fire rescues staffed with either 2 FF/CEPs, or 2 FF/EMT-Bs. These members are used like extra firefighter of the first due engine and are typically assigned IRIC, once the RIC units arrive (an engine on 2-in-1 working fires, and add a truck for 1st alarm working fires) the rescue guys will either suplument the RIC crew or join the interior crews (or where ever command needs them.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE SEND 3ENGINES & 3 RESCUES TO FIRE CALLS.
    WE DON'T HAVE AN OFFICAIL RIT BUT THE COMMANDERS USUALLY HAVE 3RD IN RESCUE ACT AS RIT TYPE CREW! I AM WORKING ON GETTING MY CHIEF TO GET WITH THE PROGRAM........BE SAFE..........

smokinmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the posts so far. I really will need all the examples I can get win I eventually go to the Chiefs to argue my case. Its a crying same isn't it? Something so obvious can be meet with so much opposition, especially when it comes to the most important aspect of our jobs. Our lives!!! Seems like there should be some way around money issues in cases like these.
    But thats what it will come down to...$$$!!! And then you have the short timers whinning about how they dont want to add another engine to a first alarm assignment for RIT manpower, because that would mean they would have to get the butts out of bed more often....sorry.....I'll get off my soap box now. Please keep the posts coming. Any ammunition I can get will be helpful.
    Be Safe.

FIREMEDIC BILL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I am also seeking info on RIT experience. I am a career Firemedic with Gwinnett County Fire/Rescue (approx 25 miles north of Atlanta). We have 23 stations, and building new stations every year due rapid growth. We have 15 med units which we run with "cross trained" paramedics. However, we due have some paramedics that are not Firefighters. These paramedics were all recently moved to one of three stations. The reason behind this move was for logistics related to RIT. The responding Bat Chief knows not to have any one of these three medunits respond to a working structure fire. Our medunits are equipped with airpacks, scba, and bunker gear. We do not have a current SOP for RIT regarding the medunits, but its just around the corner. I think this a great idea and I am looking forward to being the first Dept. in Georgia to use fire based medunits for RIT. Ill update you with any new info as it comes available.

Be safe.

------------------
    FIREMEDIC BILLBO RESCUE 8
    GWINNETT FIRE/GRAYSON GA.

burnin4u
    Firehouse.com Guest

We utilize Paramedic/Firefighters on our first out alarms. A box always goes, in conjunction with 2 Engines. The ff/pm's are often our RIT team. They are all trained to the same standard and perform their dual functions well. Your department members may require some time to adjust to their new roles. Good luck, be safe.

burnin4u
    Firehouse.com Guest

We utilize Paramedic/Firefighters on our first out alarms. A box always goes, in conjunction with 2 Engines. The ff/pm's are often our RIT team. They are all trained to the same standard and perform their dual functions well. Your department members may require some time to adjust to their new roles. Good luck, be safe. SOP's; we have just completed a merger with another district, so our SOP's are being revised to incorporate the RIT laws.

Thread Information