Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Self Rescue

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Self Rescue

The RIT team should be in place on all working fires,however it is sometimes overlooked or not in place when someone gets in trouble.I have spent the last year researching and training on self rescue techniques.I believe that every FireFighter should train and practice these techniques.Iam looking for more info and drills if any one has some. The smaller departments where man power is always a problem would really benifit from these practices.Again if any one can describe some drills it would be a great help.

Lt.Todd Edwards
    AFD Co.10/B

------------------

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I feel the same way regarding self rescue being a crucial component of irefighter training. We put together and held a firefighter survival class here in my county recently to conquer that task. The unfortunate part was only 7 people showed up.

We conducted the following drills:

1. Room search / orientation / disentanglment. The firefighter goes in the room crawling in the darkness with hood backwards or in roscoe smoke and has to search for the abandoned hose line, the exit(s) and has to disentangle him/herself from the wire and cable which is laying in the room.

2. Head First Ladder Slide. The student is tied off to a safety line (attached to air pack frame) and bails out second floor window head first. Halfway down ladder they stop, and right themselves and walk down to the ground.

3. Rope Bailout. The student finds an anchor (or we leave one prerigged to save time) and deploys rope from their pocket to either do a "body wrap" or through a DCD (Descent control device) attached to an escape belt. They slide flat against the wall with the free hand up over their head and the other hand maintaining control of the DCD.

We had other drills which we covered, but they involved group activity to rescue a downed firefighter. Also *NOTE* that any exercise done at heights was done with belay lines in place. NO training was done in hazardous atmospheres.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

SKEETER243
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a firm beleiver in the RIT concept and we practice, drill and utilize this team effectively. However, it is also very important to understand and drill on SELF-RESCUE techniques. Hey e33, kudos to those seven who showed up for the class! These are peolpe who have open minds and realize that anything can happen to anyone on the fireground and they want to be prepared for it. Those who could have, but didn't, show up are the people who have this mindset that "it can't happen to me", or "I'll deal with it when the time comes". They are all very wrong. It can happen to you, we don't have ultimate control over every aspect of the fireground. If we did this would not be a dangerous job. Additionally, if and when these peolpe are exposed to a life threatening situation, there are only seconds to react, there's no time to stop and ponder, progressive action must be taken immediately and this is where your training will benefit you the most.

In my department, we include firefighter self-rescue in our RIT training. Don't forget, the RIT is going under extreme conditions also and they can easily become trapped as the others did. Our self-rescue training includes the body wrap rope rescue with a personal rope, rapid window exiting going head first down the ladder and using the roll-out method, disorientation/entanglement escape, following hose out of building and utilizing ropes for emergency exiting. All of these techniques must be "practiced" if they are going to be used as viable methods of escape.
    Let's face it, when the "KA-KA" hits the motorized, wind- producing generator, time is of the essence, we must react progressively.

RESPOND WITH PRIDE. COME HOME ALIVE.

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Thanks for your help, just so every one knows I conducted a RIT and self rescue class this past weekend. The class was done under real heat and smoke conditions.Iam proud to to say that my Company performed extremly well, but another company either died or killed the person they were suppose to rescue. All members of the dept rec'd RIT training this past summer and all were told to practice what they were taught, my crew did the other crew did not, and it really showed.I hope everyone who see's this takes the time to drill on these things on a regular basis,its probally the most important thing as an officer or FireFighter you can do.Remember tonight may be the night that you may have to save a fellow brother or sister and be able to send them home to there kids and families.

Any help in getting these guys motivated??
    Lt. Todd Edwards/AFD

------------------

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

How about wall breaching. Using you roof hook,maul or axe to breach a wall to reach another safe room or to the exterior of the building.

Tracey

------------------

Thread Information