jmrescue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Power Tools for FAST use

I have read alot of information regarding the use of gasoline powered rescue tools and their use during insided rescue operations. Obviously their use in an oxygen deficient atmosphere would not be possible. I also feel that the use of chain saws and K-Saws with no visibility is definitely not the way to go. We currently have two battery powered reciprocating saws available to us for FAST operations. We also have an ample supply of hydraulic equipment at our disposal. Does anyone have anything to add on the use of power tools during inside FAST operations? Thanks for any info you can provide....

------------------
    BE SAFE..

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nothing on power tools although a 24volt battery powered electric drill and saw are never a bad idea...IN ADDITION...I have found, that a six to eight pound sledge hammer that has its handle sawed off to about two feet is a fantastic tool to use for wall breaches and forceable entry in tight spaces. The sawed off handle allows you to swing freely while choked up on the handle without breaking your ribs with the excess handle length.

[This message has been edited by smitheps (edited February 17, 2000).]

Chris Shields
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I love the sledge hammer idea and will make sure we get a couple for our heavy rescue!!!

Chris Shields
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I love the sledge hammer idea and will make sure we get a couple for our heavy rescue!!!

------------------

Chris Shields
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

------------------

Daniel Barr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have found that a manual operated hydraulic rescue combination tool is priceless for rapid intervention.

I use the LUKAS LKS 30 Uni Tool for our rit operations. Check it out on the LUKAS web site
    WWW.LUKAS.COM

This tool cuts just about anything in your road and will lift the heavy loads pinning firefighters down.

PBFTRK33
    Firehouse.com Guest

As with any specialized tool, proficiency in the use of the equipment and a common sense size up are the most crucial factors in making the operation work. I am a firm believer in the use of hydraulic power tools in the RIT environment. I train RIT teams in the extensive use of hydraulics in the firefighter entrapment scenario mainly for the quickness and the less laboring effects of the tools on the rescue workers. You must have a manual pump for your hydraulic tool for it to work in the smoke environment. The Holmatro Uni-system is an ideal RIT hydraulic tool package. It is a small combination spreader/cutter with a manual 3 stage hydraulic pump mounted on a diamond plate board. The system carries easily into a structure for use and it gives you more control over the operation of the tool with the 3 stage system. Obviously, if the smoke conditions are bad you would not select hydraulic tools for use until the rescue room has been ventilated and you have safe visibility. Another method of getting hydraulic tools into a smoke filled structure is to create an enlarged opening near the rescue room and pass the power tool into the structure leaving the motorized pump outside by the opening. This will enable the air induced motor to operate by staying out of the smoke conditions. You must use caution when operating power tools in a smoke environment. All team members and victims must be accounted for before any lifts or cuts are made. Power tools will by far give the RIT an advantage and speed up the rescue and removal process and all teams must practice with this equipment before it would have to be used. The same goes for reciprocating saws as well. In addition, small electric chain saws are great for RIT use for cutting through wall studs and smaller wood debris. Let's not forget wood hand saws for tight or crucial cuts. If you do not have hydraulics available or the smoke conditions do not allow for the use of these tools, you must have a back up plan in place. The use of porto power systems and other small jacks are a must for structural fire entrapment. Keep thinking ahead of what you are doing with the rescue and you won't get caught with your pants down. Stay safe.

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
    Truck Co. #33

Capt Murphy
    Firehouse.com Guest

On our department we are talking about using a cordless reciprocating saw for ventilation instead of a chainsaw. Being a call department we dont have much expieience and using a "sawzall" we feel will be easier and safer. Ive heard that some other departments are going this route. Any opinions on this?

RSQLT43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Capt. Murphy, we are using our cordless cip saw for venting structures, and it is working very well.

We use the AX blades from milwaukee, they will eat through a normal asphalt shingle and plywood roof.

The reason that we switched to the cip saw is that we are getting smaller firefighters that have trouble running k-12s and chainsaws, hell some of these people have never been on a roof at all, not to mention being on a roof operating power tools.

Something to think about Capt. instead of venting at the peak of the roof, if the fire conditions will allow, try venting through the gable, most will have a vent that you can rip off then make the opening larger with the cip saw.

I also believe that the RIT should have power tools at their staging area, you may not use them inside, but you can use them to enlarge openings from the exterior to help extricate downed civilians or firefighters.

Lt. Chester
    Firehouse.com Guest

All good info!! just a note, be aware of the building construction. This along with experience will help in the thought process as to what kind of tools will work best for you

Thread Information