FireDude002
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Standar Operating Guidlines (S.O.G.'s) in relation to Rapid Intervention

I have currently been placed in charge of formulating a S.O.G. on RIT procedure and operation. Does anyone have an S.O.G. they would be willing to share to give me some ideas? I have the basic idea I want to draft, but due to the broad range of information that goes along with RIT I am asking for assistance.
    Thank you

tundra fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

You're going the right direction,
    our dept just adopt one, i'll e-mail it to you tomorrow

------------------
    Alan Martin, Bat. Chief
    Steese Area VFD
    Fairbanks, AK

Douglas Cline
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have had one in place for some time. Donot forget that any SOP can be adopted, but do the people executing the operations have the proper training to do the job. I have a training program that teaches firefighters the principles of RIT. E-mail me SpudC@aol.com

Dennis Dowhy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Here are a few Suggestions in your development of a guideline:

RIT Mission: Locate and Rescue Endangered FFs
    The Mission of Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) is to search and remove trapped or injured firefighters

ONLY the RIT is involved
    Conduct a Personnel Accounting Report Immediately while going into operation.

RIT Task Assignments:
    Stage within the Voice Range of Command or Floor Below Fire in a High Rise
    Begin Size-up: Prepare for the Possible (Quick In/Out)
    Evaluate the Need for Ground Ladders
    Monitor Fireground Radio for Emergency Situations
    Notify Dispatch to Replace RIT if Assigned to Rescue
    Do Not used as Relief after fire is Under Control, This is the Most Dangerous Time and Most Injuries Occur During Overhaul

RIT Size-Up
    1st Priority is to Gain Control of Communications, Clear airways.
    With radio, assess number of trapped firefighters and their condition for IC
    Call for needed resources ALS/BLS, Additional Alarms for manpower
    Ascertain the Trapped Firefighters Location

Locate unconscious victims with:
    1. PASS Device
    2. Feedback on Radio-Signal
    3. Thermal Imaging Device
    4. Voice Communications
    5. Dogs (if Available)

RIT Tools
    SCBA with activated PASS device
    A large hand light, preferably on a sling for hands free use
    A good, sharp knife
    Minimum of 4 (Two Teams with Radios)
    Use the ladder company for this task
    Experienced at removing civilians
    Basic tools available for usage
    Hands free lighting, Forcible Entry Tools: (Rabbit tool, Halligan, Flat Head Axe), Rope & Harness, Stokes Basket, Resuscitator, Power saw & Ladders

People: The most important resource RIT Team
    Minimum of 4 (Two Teams with Radios)
    Use the ladder or rescue company for this task (Unit with most tools)
    Team should be experienced at removing civilians

RIT Crew Safety:
    Keep Crew Together (NOT Wandering or Assisting)
    Prepare Them on Contingency Plans on Incident
    No room for freelancing

Keep Command Informed
    Situation Found or Problems Encountered

------------------
    Dennis Dowhy
    Director
    DenDowhy@pass-prep.com
    http://www.pass-prep.com/bbs/clipart/policefire.jpg

Promotional Assessment Skills Service

Lt. Chester
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have one based on my dept operations. I'll try to get it to you via e mail

BFD22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

MY DEPT.AND AREA DEPT.'S ARE ALSO LOOKING AT SOG'S FOR RIT.
    IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD ALSO APPRECIATE
    IT.
    THANKS AHEAD OF TIME
    CRAIGB@CITCOM.NET

CRAIG BUDZINSKI
    STAY SAFE BROTHERS

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here is the S.O.G. developed and used by the New Bedford, MA Fire Dept. Hope it helps.
    New Bedford Fire Department
    Standard Operating Guideline No. 44
    Firefighter Assist & Search Team

February 24, 1999

Purpose:
    To provide an organized method of locating, rescuing, or assisting trapped, missing or endangered Firefighters.

Scope:
    This S.O.G. shall be used for all incidents requiring Firefighter entry into hazardous areas.

Examples:
    1. Structural Fire Fighting
    2. Haz Mat Entry Operations
    3. Technical Rescue Operations

Responsibility:
    The Incident Commander, or Senior Ranking Officer on scene, is Responsible for ensuring compliance with this S.O.G. where possible.

Definitions:
    F.A.S.T. Company a company or crew of firefighters (3 Min.), whose only assignment is to provide a Firefighter Assist & Search Team for personnel operating in hazardous areas.

44.00 Effective immediately, the "F.A.S.T. Company" is hereby established in the New Bedford Fire Department.

44.01 A F.A.S.T. Company will be required at all working structure fires. Upon arrival, The Incident Commander shall request a second ladder company to fill this position. Its primary mission shall be to rescue trapped, missing or endangered firefighters. The Rescue Company may be used for an Emergency F.A.S.T. Company until the arrival of the second ladder.

44.02 The F.A.S.T. Company upon arrival shall be positioned so that the Aerial may be used if the need arises; the chauffeur shall stay with the apparatus. In cases were there is no access for the second ladder it will be staged close to the scene. The officer and 2 men shall report to the command post to gather information on conditions and the location of personnel in the fire building.

44.03 The F.A.S.T. Company officer shall remain in radio contact with the I.C. at all times and will stage the company at the Command Post with the following equipment:
    1. Full protective equipment including S.C.B.A.
    2. A 1 3/4" hand line of the proper length, positioned for rapid use.
    3. A ground ladder of the appropriate length for the structure.
    4. Forcible entry tools to match the situation.
    5. Search ropes and thermal camera

44.04 The F.A.S.T. Company shall be kept available to react to emergencies that may arise on the fire ground. The F.A.S.T. Officer shall monitor fire ground communication, while continually sizing up fire conditions and the location of companies in the building. When a "MAYDAY" or other fire ground emergency occurs the I.C. shall deploy the F.A.S.T Company.

44.05 The F.A.S.T. Company may perform tasks that will aid in firefighter safety, or assist fire suppression activities, but must not be committed in a manor that will interfere with its primary mission.
    Tasks that may aid in fire fighter safety include:
    1. Laddering all sides of the building.
    2. Forcing doors to allow access to and from the building
    3. Assist in the advancement of hose lines from the exterior.
    4. Assisting members changing air cylinders.

44.06 When civilian lives are endangered and no other companies are available the F.A.S.T. Company may be used to aid in their rescue. During extreme situation the I.C. may deploy the F.A.S.T. as needed, This would require the dispatch of another company to fill the F.A.S.T. function as soon as possible.

44.07 Once the fire is declared under control the, F.A.S.T. may be released by the I.C. or used for other types of fire ground operations.

44.08 Large scale incidents (Mill Fires) may require the use of multiple F.A.S.T. to provide proper coverage on the fire ground. During major incidents, or when ladder companies are not available crews other than ladder companies may need to be utilized.

44.09 All personnel are advised to review S.O.G. #43 and #45, which are used in conjunction with a F.A.S.T. Company.

------------------
    Mike Gentili
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by mfgentili (edited May 29, 2000).]

Thread Information