Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    sec33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Using RITs to do...

I have a had a few discussions around the station concerning RITs being used for outside ventilation work, such as removing security bars. I feel that they should not be responsible for this duty. Other feel however, that is creating another exit point for the interior crews. How do you feel on this subject or if you belong to a RIT, what are your guidelines?

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

The general rule is that they should not be in a position where they are tied up to apoint where it delays response. I feel this includes ventilation for rooftops. I have mixed feelings about using them for auxillary functions. Depends on the size of the building, but maybe removing outside bars puts them on opposite side of building which delays response. I say use commond sense and look at benefit vs potential outcome of being out of position. Some pencil pusher who most likely never saw a fire in a building and the resources required came up with this 2 in 2 out, RIT requirement. We have to live with it. It is not really anything we have never done, now we just have to have them visible and identified for that sole purpose.

Bottom line: Be careful

[This message has been edited by Captstanm (edited April 02, 2000).]

sec33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you for the insight. I agree with every point you mentioned. I will try to take those points back to my station and see what evolves.

bgreen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

A RIT Team should be able to perform auxially functions if it helps with emergency firefighter egress. They however should not perform an operation that is not mission sensative. I.E. Roof Ventalation.You should also look at NFPA 1710 as it pertains to IRIT and RIT. It's very interesting!

jerseyfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is no reason the RIT can’t be made available for certain auxiliary duties, in fact they should be made responsible for some.

During their initial size up they should identify and attempt to correct such things as bars on windows and locked doors. Laddering windows and identifying any additional hazards should also come under their responsibilities. All of these activities help the team familiarize themselves with the structure and helps them to prepare for the possibility.

Why wait for something to go wrong and then have to do these things anyway. Granted they have to stay fluid enough to act quickly if needed, but that doesn’t mean sitting on a tarp in front of the building staring at each other waiting for a “MAYDAY”

Rob

Lt. Chester
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is my first reply. Based on attending a few classes and doing some research, it seems only dept's. that are heavily staffed have the luxury of having people solely dedicated to RIT. I have written an SOG for my dept{ career} that allows for the RIT to be flexible{based on the majority of fires we see are 1-3 story wood frames}while monitoring radio traffic and fire conditions. We need them to throw ladders,OV, stage equip etc... but they also need to pay attention to what's happening. Good luck in finding what will work best for your Dept.

Thread Information