AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Tell me about YOUR Rit???

I'm looking for any/all info on rit/fast teams in order to develop a SOP/SOG for a small dept. Any and all info is welcomed. I am particularly interested in Team size, Training, Tools/Equipment, Operations, Communications procedures, and all aspects of Fireground Safety. Looking for guidelines, procedures, and ideas to develop a simple yet effective approach. Looking forward to your input.

Thanks
    Jim

MFF Murray
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work for Howard County Fire & Rescue in Maryland. We do have a policy in place and some special bags and tools our trucks carry to establish a RIT on scene. Feel free to e-mail me to get more info. and i can make copies of everything for you.

r machan
    Firehouse.com Guest

I myself work for a small department and am a RIT instructor ,I have several Guide lines and SOG. samples. Feel free to give me a E-mail if you need materials.

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I founded my Volunteer Departments RIT. and wrote the SOP. It was designed for the small department, (150) and is a simple and effective idea. With the cooperation of our neighboring departments I put together a mutual aid RIT system utilizing automatic dispatch of a RIT to any confirmed structure fire.
    I'd be happy to send you a copy.

extrication
    Firehouse.com Guest

My friend did our RIT SOG for our department and we are pretty small. Please email me if you are interested and I can get him in touch with you.

------------------
    For Firefighters By Firefighters

FF Brin
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. has trained for over a year in RIT. There is alot of information available. Your state Fire Academy should have some great handouts to get you started.

Another place to look is (sorry Firehouse) Fire Engineering Magazine. Go to their website and type in 'RIT', or 'search', or other similiar word. You will get several articles about RIT!!!

The basic thing about RIT is that it is no more difficult than the fire fighting training we should already be receiving. If we aren't well trained in basic fire suppression, or search and rescue, then how can we be expected to save a fellow firefighter that is trapped or lost? Yes, the victim isn't a kitty cat, or a child we can tuck under our arm. It is one of us, some bigger than your average person, and they have on heavy gear, and an awkward yellow tank on their back!

A fire dept well-trained in fire suppression, rescue (using a 125 pound or heavier dummy), is no different than a team standing by outside prepared to enter a building for a quick search and rescue.

Read the articles, copy them for your files, prepare a folder or book on all information gathered on RIT, practice getting heavy people freed from cables, or fallen ceilings, or whatever.

Keep an open mind, have fun with drills, and realize we will never stop learning everything about this business. Oh, and spend a day with a busy city fire dept if you can. http://www.firehouse.com/interactive/boards/smile.gif

FF Brin-
    professionally trained call firefighter

11BrynAthyn355
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

My Fire Dept. developed a program for F.A.S.T. a few years ago. Our Deputy Chief is Greg Jakubowski, a state certified training officer. He, along with our Lieutenant, Mike Morton, will be starting a book on this topic in the very near future for IFSTA. It will probably be inexpensive and be out by the Fall.

------------------
    -Rick R.
    -Bryn Athyn Fire Company and Ambulance
    -Station 11 and Squad 355 in Montgomery County, Pa
    -http://mov.to/BAFC

Thread Information