Thread: RIT Training

Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation RIT Training

Hello all,

Im sure that most of you who read and post here regularly can tell im really big on RIT and FAST being used on any working fire. My question to you is, we all use it, but how many of us actually practice it and for the ones who do practice, tell me what you do. Looking forward to hearing your replies.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We practive RIT ona regular basis, and involve the 2 surrounding teams as well.

We train at a building "Training House" that one of our neiboring fire departments have built. We do everything from a downed firefighter, to collapse, entanglement etc. We also practive enlarged openings, saws, and most of all, everyone shares idea's!

Take Care and Be Safe

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

We utilize, smoke/burn buildings/high rise tower. One drill I ran often (when I could find the facilities), when I was a RIT Lieut. was drill in either a commercial building that was newly constructed (no furniture, or some good ones even had no wall board), or one that is being gutted. Those PASS alarms echo terribly. The other thing is to train firefighters how to assist the FAST team. Put them in there (even better if there are no windows, like in a mall type structure or basement)and have them try to figure out where they are and give a description in 0 visibility. You'd be shocked how many will wait to call a mayday and those who couldn't give good descriptions or know how. We tell them to use every sense but sight, including hearing. If you can hear and engine/truck outside then that can be used as a locator also. Its good for us to always train, and I also appreciate your passion for this. I have always believed in the concept. But I was shocked as an instructor when I realized that while we trained, most firefighters not trained or tasked FAST/RIT Ops, do not know how and when to use them.

-------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of. http://server.firehouse.com/forums/biggrin.gif

Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I find this so hard to believe that a topic like RIT and FAST, and seems like this is the place people least likely want to come and talk. Is it because they are afraid of change? I would love to discuss any topics, pros/cons, scenerios, etc with anyone that would like to. I am a very firm believer in this and hope that maybe i can help others with any doubts or disbelief they have in this program.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

FiRsqDvr45
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have had 2 people go thru a Firefighter's Safety and Survival(RIT and self rescue) class (myself included) and are sending 2 more this June. That will be all the training our department has on the subject until our local RIT trainer Chris Silver of the Hampton Fire Dept comes to teach at our station the new RIT Awareness and RIT Operations levels they have come up with as part of a regional training program. From what I have heard this regional program will not only cover training, but operating and radio procedures for the whole M/A pact and equipment and identification of teams and members. I have heard that they are getting colored and lettered covers for SCBA to identify team leaders and RIT team members at scenes and working on tool caches on certain apparatus at centrally located stations. Hopefully this program gets up and runnig soon as it will enhance training and awareness of this critical facet of the fireground exponentially.

------------------
    FF/EMT Jay Ellingson
    Newington,NH FD
    &
    New England Dragway Safety Team (Sundaaayy!)
    *N.E.D. celebrates 35 years of excitement as a post-NHRA and current IHRA drag racing venue! Come on by and watch the great action at RT27 Epping, NH(Exit 8 off of Rt 101)*
    New England Dragway is the home of the IHRA North American Nationals
    www.newenglanddragway.com
    Sept 7-9 2001
    1-877-DRAGWAY
    1-603-679-8001

PBFTRK33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi Jay,
    How have you been? Good to see you are still kickin. Question for you. How is the course you guys are going through? What is taught in the program?

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire

PS; I'll be teaching both of my RIT programs in Connecticut at the end of August if you want to jump in. I'm not sure if thats to far for you or not. Let me know.

[This message has been edited by PBFTRK33 (edited 05-16-2001).]

86Rescuetech
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been a member of two companies who provide FAST team services. Both departments have trained in different ways. My former co. trained in actual donated buildings and had a Rescue Co. go down. We learned alot from that night. First and foremost, if a FAST team goes into service a backup team needs to be dispatched right away. If more than two attack or rescue teams are in service, another FAST team should be dispatched. My former team consisted of 5-6 f/f's. Minimum training is Rope rescue, confined space rescue, and at least one trained in Collapse Rescue. All of us had Brannigan's training on Building Construction. It worked well. My new co. hasn't had much in-house training but we are looking to set up a program to direct us. It is cruicial to have as much advanced training as possible. Our team wears Orange Helmets marked FAST and the FAST OIC has a white one. Our team runs a Heavy rescue with 8-9 firefighters. The team is picked from the members that show up. We are a very fortunate volunteer company with alot of trained members. Our county is very progressive on FAST or RIC-RIT. We also are lucky enough to have our own Structural Burn building and are starting to build our own Confined Space area. Also, does anyone know of any more advanced rescue training coming up??? Be safe.

LT 21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Truckie5553...Hey, read your posting. Not afraid of change here. With that said I have question for you, does your RIT/FAST deploy a hose line during a rescue and if so are you in favor of deploying it dry or charged?

CHIEF 161
    Firehouse.com Guest

JIM
    WE PRACTICE RIT AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH IF NOT MORE.WE US OUR HALL,TRAILERS,HOUSES BEFORE WE BURN THEM.IN SW PA WE FORMED ABBET RIT 3 COUNTIES WIDE ALLEGHENY,BEAVER,BUTLER EMERGENCY TEAMS. CHECK OUT OUR WEB SITE AT MEMBERS.HOME.NET/ABBETRIT,/INDEXHTML

DAVE VANATTA
    MIDDLESEX TWP CHIEF

------------------
    DAVID S VAN ATTA

Plug-Ugly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I drill regularly on Rapid Intervention with my crew. We use the popular Saving-Our-Own program that was featured in Fire Engineering magazine. Instead of a specially built prop we try to use different real locations to practice. One thing we did to add a different angle was to do it at night in the dark. This adds a whole new twist to any kind of training.

Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt 21!!!!!

On a rescue situation, we have a 1 & 1 out the door within a few minutes after dispatch. The first engine in will go ahead and pick up the hydrant and pull the line. The truck company will take care of rescue. When we are dispatched on this type of box, an engine from our 2nd is automatically started for RIT. This way they can take care of setting up RIT as soon as they arrive. Also depending on the size of the structure, i will leave my crew outside to set up RIT and pull a member from the engine to perform search. This way we at least have some form of back up outside. We make sure to communicate with each team, i let the engine co. know that i will be using a member of their crew. This is only if we are there at the same time. If not, the i will keep my crew in tack and allow the next company in handle RIT.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Forum Member

Howdee Jim,
    Unfortunately I will be, oddly enough, in Pittsburgh August 22nd thru the 26th so I might be there while you are in Connecticut. If you could send me some dates and info on the August class you are doing I would still appreciate it. Maybe I will be back in time to attend.
    Too answer your question about what the program I went thru here with Chris Silver conatined:

The first class was an evening class that was spent discussing Case Studies and the lessons learned from them. Some of the incidents discussed were the guys from San Fransisco trapped by the garage door, the Denver incident, the Seattle warehouse and the house fire in Pittsburgh among others. We also covered Orginization, Equipment, and Deployment of the RIT and talked about ICS, Accountability Systems, the OIC's responsibility for the crews inside and the use of RIT and propers planning procedures.

The second and third classes were at the drill yard and burn building. We had a mock up of a false ceiling with overhead phone, electrical, and other wires that we had to negotiate,practiced ladder egress, the rope slide, and wall breaching. We progressed into the Denver drill, the Columbus handcuff knot manuever and full blown live fire evolutions.

I believe either Chris Silver or Scott Carrigan from Exeter,NH Fire may have a full course outline and objectives list if you would like to see one.

Sorry it took so long to reply, look forward to hearing from you again.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

Good to hear from you Jay. I'm not leaving to teach in Connecticut until August 24th. Maybe we could hook up for lunch or a beer?

Jim Crawford
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Forum Member

Any RIT enthusiasts heading to the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore next week? I will be heading out monday morning and will be there all week. Look me up so we can BS and have a drink. Drive carefully and stay away from the burning train.....

Jim Crawford
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

My department is one of few in the South Hills (Suburban Pittsburgh) that is actively working to organize and train a team. Which is a shame. We have just begun to practice our RIT operations, we really think that they are going well. some of our officers are taking the RICE and Advanced RICE classes and trickling down the information.

We had a fire today that we should have been on as an RIT, but the boro that we gave a mutual aid assist to needs to learn a little about the ICS system before a RIT team could do any good. Too many Chiefs not enough indians.

Take care all and be safe.
    Shawn MacIntyre EMT
    Pittsburgh EMS EMT-2
    Fraternal Assoc. of Prof. Paramedics

Jim,
    Where in Conn. are you teaching. I am from a dept. in NE RI. I would like to take some firemen down there if there is still some space available.

This department has had minimal RIC training, but I have spent the past coule of years in PG County Maryland and they have a strict 2-in, 2-out rule, so I would like to spread the knowlege in RI, so hopefully our job will be a little safer.

Thanks,

Josh
    Find 'em hot, Leave 'em wet.

For all of you Southwestern PA Firefightersthere is a RICE and Advanced RICE class being offered at the Westmoreland County Fire Academy on September 8-9, 2001, I'm not sure of the Telephone number, but I understand that Mr. Crawford is teaching te Advanced class, Jim you can correct me if I'm Wrong.

Be safe
    Shawn MacIntyre EMT
    Pittsburgh EMS EMT-2
    Fraternal Assoc. of Prof. Paramedics

Forum Member

Hello All,
    First, I have just returned from teaching at the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore and would like to thank all of the firefighters and fire officers that attended the RIT and survival programs. Your dedication is admirable. Second, Ultimate- I will be teaching my RIT basic and advanced courses in Guilford which is near the Branford/New Haven area on August 25-26. Chief Robert Cobb from Jersey City will also be conducting a large area search class along with us as well for this training weekend, Butch is one of the best RIT/Survival Instructors out there and his program will be a great asset to my programs that weekend. You can contact Guilford Fire Chief Charlie Herrschaft at 203-453-8056 for a spot in either of the above classes. Hurry though, they are filling up quick. Third, the RICE classes that Shawn mentioned are actually being held at the Washington County Fire Academy in Houston, Pa. on September 8-9. I will post a contact number soon for those classes.

Jim Crawford
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Does anybody know of any web sites that
    focus primarily on RIT ? ie: The incidents that originated some of these drills and or in depth instructions on how to perform these drills)

Jim, we just got done attending a PA State Fire Academy "RICE" weekend. Let me tell you, it drained our crews to the bone. The class is an excellent training course. If anyone in PA is thinking about FAST/RIC teams, I think you should try it out. We had five companies from our county that provide FAST services and there were five different ways of doing it. But one goal in mind. We learned how to breach walls, enlarge openings, advanced accountability, and at the least, teamwork. My company runs our Heavy Rescue with 9 crew members including a FAST OIC. We are all volunteer and have a great turnout. Right now we run into four townships and one "big" borough. We also just implemented our modified box system and have FAST teams assigned with backups, just in case. Just wanted to say there are a few people here in PA as passionate as you are in FAST training and what an important part of a working fire it is. Be safe.

Forum Member

86RESCUETECH,
    Thank you for your post regarding the RICE class. I am glad that the program has added to your ability to perform RIT. When John Piotrowski and I designed the course it was intended to basically "slap" you in the face and show you how unprepared for rapid intervention we all really are. We worked very hard in developing this course so that it would cover a wide range of topics. I am glad to see that the PSFA provided you with good RICE training as well(Which I never doubted). That is why we allowed them to use the program, more firefighters will get exposed to it with quality instructors. We have developed the RICE advanced program and have been out traveling instructing it. It deals strictly with downed firefighter removal procedures and is a VERY intense class. Keep an eye out for it. My website will be up in a couple weeks with my training schedule (RAPIDINTERVENTION.COM). I have 2 RICE advanced classes left for this year, one in Washington County, and the other in Syracuse,NY. As always, keep training hard in firefighter rescue, it WILL someday pay off in your favor.

Jim Crawford
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Thread Information