Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We like a four man team but you work with what you get. In our first bag we have a spare bottle hooked up to a stripped down regulator and mask. The idea behind the reg. is if a ff is trapped in a way that makes is difficult or not quick enough to change a bottle we can just switch off the reg.. The mask is there for the reason if somehow the ff lost/broke their mask don't ask me how this would happen but why not be ready, or if we run to a town that does not have a compatible set up. We also carry wire cutters, pliers, knife, basic ems stuff and handlight in this bag, pretty small, easy to tote around and light enough you won't get winded dragging it around. We have the emt take this bag and take over primary ff care upon location. We also have a rope bag with a main rope to tie off at door and rope to tie of off main rope with, it also has a light. This is mostly the team leader bag. We carry an array of hand tools to choose from for the other two persons, including k-12, irons, 16# sledge(my fav.), collapsable ladder, chainsaw, denver tool aka tnt, and pike poles. Of course we have handlights for everyone and try to have two radios so we can break down into a two man two team group. With the exception of the bags it is just truck co. tools. We also have the tools in the rescue which is what we use as our team vehicle which vary form 1/8 wrenchs to hydraulic jacks and so on. As you probaly learned the tools don't make the team the men make the team, so none of this matters if you don't train.
    the truth never hides for long

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Firekatz - Do you remove the original cylinder? We found more problems in accessing the cylinder strap, retention clip, high pressure connection and cylinder valve than just clipping a spare pack on and changing regulators. How does it work out when you are in a tight or congested area?

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard anything about NFPA requiring a hand line as part Rit team equipment. Also is there a specific standard on RIT teams and there equipment?

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

I think knowing where to get a handline when you need it is important. If there is no back up line in place and your problem is fire growth, all the tools in the world won't help. Hadn't seen any requirements for equipment other than identical to the interior crew IE PPE and SCBA

Hey Jim, I'd be interested in comments. What problems do you see with this. (We bring a whole pack with us, just in case.)

Halligan, no need to remove the bottle. The way we do it is similar to Pittsburghs hose swap off on the regulator. Spare bottle comes up alongside of downed firefighter, shut off downed ff's bottle, unscrew hose connection, swivel hose connection, screw onto fresh bottle, charge fresh bottle, check breathing, webbing wraps around SCBA waist strap with bottle on downed ff's legs. Downed ff is only "off air" for about 20 - 30 seconds.
    As I said, the only thing we can't do with depts in our area is a bottle swap with the Draegers. In that case, we do a complete swap.

Hi Guys, how goes it? Firekatz, you present an interesting situation regarding the initial RIT response in which I get questioned on quite often. To me, the most important tactic a RIT can do during a firefighter "ENTRAPMENT" is to transport, connect, and MAINTAIN an independant air supply for the pinned firefighter. This not only provides life support for the victim, but buys the RIT invaluable time to size up and perform the extrication. The question here is "How do we do that"?. In my opinion through my experience is that the "toxic bottle change" method is just to tricky in a smoke filled environment. To disconnect a downed firefighters SCBA cylinder from the high pressure connection and try to reconnect it to another cylinder in this type of situation is to difficult. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but that this method takes extensive training and practice to be able to complete with a minimal amount of "Disconnect time" for the downed firefighter. If a nervous or jittery RIT member attempts this and cross threads the cylinder, or debris gets onto the threads, there will be a major problem for the RIT officer to correct, not to mention the "disconnect time" the victim will have to take. I see that you mentioned you take in a complete SCBA just in case, which is a good move. My question is why carry in the extra cylinders, which creates a mobility problem in one way or another, when you can complete a successful SCBA changeover with what you are already taking in? The initial RIT is already burdoned with the difficult task of deploying, searching, and performing the assessment let alone be bogged down with additional equipment. I have found that you can complete just about all of your changeovers with one complete SCBA rescue pack using the LDV (Lung demand valve) swap, breathing tube swap, or total facepiece changeover with very little complications. Of course we all must be proficient in the methods I have described above or you will undoubtably fail as a RIT. It is very important to keep the facepiece with the SCBA rescue pack that you are deploying with. If you find a downed firefighter with a cracked or missing facepiece, and did not bring the spare, you will be in for trouble. As always, my advice is this, if it is working good for you keep doing it. The best way to keep testing your methods is to keep trying other methods. If you find even one thing that will quicken your procedure up, incorporate it. That's what I have been doing for the past 6 years with RIT training. By refining these procedures we will eventually come close to perfecting them. You guys stay safe and have a nice holiday season. Keep up the good fight and train in RIT..... And remember, no one is coming in for us, but us!

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Thumbs down

This is in response to those who do not agree with rit team tools or training.You should seriously consider expanding your training to include rit team operations, and perhaps mayday firefighter down. I say this to try and get you to understand as I now do, the importance of these practices. As we all know things can go to H@#!! in a heartbeat. The worst situation we could encounter is not being prepared. No one likes feeling helpless. Fortunately these programs are designed to better prepare us for the worse. Obviously these courses were designed using information that was gathered in the field through trial and error. Methods that have been tried and tested by firemen like us have proven to save lives! Better tools, training is a good thing but we all must be open to try new things. I strongly feel that the rit training, the rit tool kit, is essential for all departments. Please consider these things and be safe.

These comments, or opinions are my pesonal ones and are not necessarilly those believed or expressed by my employer. Resqfreek

Thumbs down

This is in response to those who do not agree with rit team tools or training.You should seriously consider expanding your training to include rit team operations, and perhaps mayday firefighter down. I say this to try and get you to understand as I now do, the importance of these practices. As we all know things can go to H@#!! in a heartbeat. The worst situation we could encounter is not being prepared. No one likes feeling helpless. Fortunately these programs are designed to better prepare us for the worse. Obviously these courses were designed using information that was gathered in the field through trial and error. Methods that have been tried and tested by firemen like us have proven to save lives! Better tools, training is a good thing but we all must be open to try new things. I strongly feel that the rit training, the rit tool kit, is essential for all departments. Please consider these things and be safe.

These comments, or opinions are my pesonal ones and are not necessarilly those believed or expressed by my employer. Resqfreek

Thread Information