Default RIT Pack Accessories

Less the TIC and SCBA, what equipment do you carry in your RIT Pack? I know that several of the SCBA manufacturers produce RIT packs, and I am particularly interested in the one made by SCOTT, however I haven't seen it advertised lately. Any info on that would also be appreciated.
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Rather than buy a RIT pack, we made ours.

Our RIT pack consists of the SCBA bottle, the regulator assembly, 100' of rescue rope, a nylon bag of assorted wooded chocks, 50' of webbing, a few carabiners, and an extra mask. This is all carried in a “D” cylinder sized EMS bag, modified with stronger shoulder straps, strategically placed holes for the regulator, and reflective lettering to identify the kit.

Also consider adding a tool kit to the pack, including flat/Phillips screwdrivers, a pair of wire cutters, and a pair of pliers. You can get these at any local hardware store in a pack for < $15.00
    "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

go to www.scottaviation.com and you can get literature on the RIT pak. We have one and its really great. The pak has a single phase compressor and has either a regulator or quick connect end on it and you can just hook up really easy. I think it works awesome.

Forum Member

Check out www.fire-rescueoutfitters.com, click on to rapid interverention page, 2nd page has an RIT bag that holds a spare SCBA,
    TIC, ropes, webbing, hand tools & more.

Instead of wasting money on a worthless piece of equipment like an scba rit pack concentrate on better saws, lifelines, flash lights, thermals, and lighter hand tools. And lets not forget about training spend the money on training!!!!!! The time wasted trying to hook up the rit pack could be spent out in the front yard with the fire fighter your trying to rescue. Lets look at an example... rit stays out of the house until needed right??? So all rit members should have a full tank right??? Most of the packs made in the last 10 years have buddy breathing attachments right???? So your rit scba pack is on your back. Its not rocket science.
    YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

I agree with firemonkey70 with the money being put toward training because the equipment means nothing if you don't have the knowledge in how to use them. I have gone through the NYS RIT team training once and have wanted to take the course again for the longest time. The idea of a RIT team is to get in and get out as fast as possiable. That is the whole idea behind having this team. Its nice to have all the toys to play with but we have to remember...keep it simple. The more simple the less likly you are to screw things up and in this line of work mistakes cost lives.

Stay safe and hope this helped in some way.

THANK YOU northhfd068
    YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

MembersZone Subscriber

There have been several well documented cases where firefighters have died during the rescue attempt due to running out of air. Not planning for continuing a downed FF's air supply is negligent at the least. I agree the "RIT" pack is expensive, we use a spare SCBA with a buddy breather and an extra mask that we slide into a rope bag. We also have the luxury of all local departments using only Scott masks. The Scott RIT pack gives you a single stage regulator, longer air hose with a buddy breather and/or standard mask regulator for about 1800 bucks. I'd also say that as an instructor I get to see quite a few departments SCBA every year and the vast majority in this area DON'T come through with buddy breathers (available, but not ordered). Air is the problem in so many cases, don't neglect it. Make your training realistic and keep track of how long it really takes to get a firefighter out, then do some scenarios where the lost FF decides to call for help after his low pressure alarm goes off and see how much time you have. One question for those planning on using their own buddy breather connections.. how much time do you get out of a 30 minute cylinder? How much time can 2 firefighters (one panicked and one dragging him) get out of a 30 minute cylinder? Hope you have another RIT.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I am currently in the middle of training my department for a RIT Team. I downloaded a powerpoint presention regarding the AWARE procedure. It teaches along with other things that the spare SCBA tank is needed in case you have to leave the downed firefighter for reasons such as you running out of air or needing an extended period of time to perform the rescue. I agree that to some departments such as my own that money is an issue and making your own sometimes is better then buying one already made.

In case you are interested i downloaded the presention from http://tcffa.org/download.shtml website. Hopes this helps in some sort of way.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Unfortunately this type of opinion (firemonkey)is expressed all to often regarding specialized tactics for Rapid Intervention. To believe that a member of a RIT does not need to be trained to a proficient level in the techniques of an emergency SCBA rescue pack changeover are actually quite frightening. I tend to specialize my teaching towards firefighter entrapment within a burning building as I feel that this will be the most difficult and challenging aspect of the RIT operation along with removal. When the initial RIT deploys on the mayday into a burning structure and enters the rescue room only to discover the downed firefighter pinned by debris or heavy objects with only 100 psi of air left in their SCBA and are looking at a 10 to 30 minute (or more) extrication, someone is going to die. All RIT's MUST train and deploy with SCBA rescue packs and be able to perform smooth changeovers with this life sustaining operation. The use of a RIT bag is also an inexpensive, and useful, tool for a Rapid Intervention Team. I mean no offense towards firemonkeys opinion, as I respect all opinions, but I truely believe that with some education on this subject and some hardcore RIT training, this opinion could be influenced. Trust me, I have lived a multiple firefighter fatality fire, and I would never teach something that I feel would not someday be used during a firefighter rescue. Please, continue to train with SCBA rescue packs and changeovers, you just might someday save a firefighters life.....

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Forum Member

I agree with PBFTRK33 on this one. We have begun our basic RIT awareness training, and a primary point in the training is conveting the harness of our airpacks, so they will not be pulled off during extrication from the building. We also train in the methods of securing an air supply for the downed firefighter. Unless the firefighter went down immediately after entry, chances are that he will be low on air. A simple set up that we are making is a medium sized bag containing a Scott pak with the straps removed. All that is required is for us is to do is remove the downed firefighters regulator and place the spare on. Rope is also proveided in the bag to use as tag lines or to secure the pack to the downed firefighter for removal.

Forum Member

I'm with Jim on this one!Using a buddy breathe commits 1 pack and 2 people to 1 spot.Usually RIT is activated for why?BECAUSE A FF IS IN DEEP S**T.Spare air is not a luxury it's a necessity.The AVERAGE FF gets 1 minute per 100# air under normal conditions assuming a reasonably fit individual.Add the stress and physical effort involved in removing a downed FF and guess what? NO BUDDY BREATHING on my Intervention team thank you very much.TAKE THE SPARE with you,it's a tool.Not every extraction is a ten minute job,plan for the worst.On a Side Jim you going the 18th?T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not opposed to buddy breathing. It adds another survival tool. I am against making buddy breathing your PLAN for firefighter rescue. We are standing by to go get a firefighter, PLAN for him to be out of air, PLAN for his survival.

I for one am in favor of such a pack. It does not need to be factory made. An older air pack can be converted rather easily. There are other things to consider when you talk about RIT packs. What happens when the downed firefighter has a cracked or broken mask? How about when a line on thier air pack is cut? What if you can't get to the buddy breather connection?
    How big is your bottle? A one hour bottle hooked to a downed firefighter while you are working will provide about 15 to 20 minutes of air. I know, we have trained and tested this procedure. That is OK if you know you can get them out in that time. What if you can't get them out in that time? Are you going to hook someone else to the downed firefighter? These are all things that could and will happen if you don't plan and train for them.
    We have members of my department that have the opinion that we have never needed such an item for 75 years, why do we need them now? We have change the way we operate and fight fires over the last 75 years. It is time we caught up with the times and started to look out for our brothers.
    You need a plan, need to train, need to have the equipment to do the job. Anything less will get you or someone else killed.

Just do what you know is right, and you can't go wrong.

Be safe, and never forget our fallen brothers.

CFDGURU4U

Forum Member

A few years ago when all this RIT stuff started I was on a busy engine with a great officer who had a natural ability to see throught the smoke and make good sense. At the time our RIT gear consisted of a haligan, a flat head axe, a little giant ladder, and a 75 foot handi line. The first thing he said was "What about some air?". When ever we got assigned RIT we grabbed an air pack and face piece from the pumping engine's driver. Two years later, the dept comes out with the RIT bag. Contents = One SCBA, One face piece, One buddy hose.
    I also carry a chem light in my left coat pocket and a roll of tape. If we run outta air ourselves I intend to mark the victim before I leave, or myself if it is me. Saw that in Fire Engineering a few years ago.

All I need is the air that I breathe...
    See You At The Big One

Forum Member

Good ones all.When I said no Buddy breathing I meant we don't use it as part of the regular plan.If it will work for a short term extraction fine,but I would rather use another complete pack set up for the extended range.Excellant thought on the lightstik,another idea for the box.T.C.

Forum Member

I am glad to see that there are a lot more RIT members out there practicing and using the SCBA rescue pack. I was getting worried there for a bit... If anyone has any questions regarding rescue packs just drop me an email. Also my RIT website (RAPIDINTERVENTION.COM)will be ready to go in a week or two. It will be your one stop shop for Rapid Intervention. Everything from RIT monthly training articles, national RIT instructor contacts, RIT equipment contacts, and RIT forums. I will post when the site is up.

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire

PS; Hi TC, unfortunately I had already scheduled a Truck Company Ops class for that weekend and can't attend....
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

MembersZone Subscriber

In response to all of this talk about RIT deployment and the tools that should be used, I am a career firefighter in a combination department. the on duty staff operates an engine and ambulance 24-7, we are operating with a modified RIT bag that you have all read about in firehouse mag. standard rope bag w/ 65' of 1/2" rescue rope, 2 carabiners, and a pulley. there are numerous uses for this bag. it is easy to deploy, carry, and simple to pack. for more information on the set-up and uses of the Syracuse style RIT bag check out this site: http://home.twcny.rr.com/rescue/
    there is a great deal of RIT info and if you ahve any questions you can e-mail one of the best RIT instructors in the country.

Stay safe all
    Jason Gray, Firefighter/Municipal Fire Instructor
    City of Norwich Fire
    VP Southern Tier NY FOOLS
    I.A.C.O.J Member

DEAR CFDGURU,
    We have members of my department that have the opinion that we have never needed such an item for 75 years, why do we need them now? We have change the way we operate and fight fires over the last 75 years. It is time we caught up with the times and started to look out for our brothers.
    HMMMMM I DONT REMEMBER EVER GOING THROUGH RIT TRAINING OF ANY TYPE UNLESS YOU CALL THE DENVER DRILL PRACTICED TWICE AT THE TRINING CENTER RIT TRAINING. AND AS FAR AS THAT GOES TO CALL US A PROGRESSIVE DEPARTMENT IS AN INSULT TO US, WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF NC DEPARTMENTS. THE RIT ASSIGNMENT ON A 10-70 IS TO STAND IN THE FRONT YARD AND WATCH. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE PRACTICED A 10-33????? DO THE 100 PEOPLE HIRED IN THE LAST 2 YEARS EVEN KNOW WHAT A 33 IS???? WE DONT HAVE A RIT TEAM UNLESS THEY ARE AS ELITE AS THE EXTRICATION TEAM AND THE HONOR GAURD. YOU EXPLAIN IT TO ME??? AND AS FAR AS BROTHERHOOD I WILL CALL YOU INTO MY NEXT ANNUAL SO YOU CAN PREACH BROTHERHOOD TO MY OFFICER WHEN HES SCREWING ME ON MY EVAL. THERE IS NO BROTHERHOOD AND DONT TRY TO KID YOURSELF.
    "CAUSE THATS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT" YEAH THATS PROGRESS.....DONT MAKE ME PUKE

I'll address the SCBA in a sec, first, we carry a litter/stretcher with equipmemnt and a 6x6 tarp on it. All of the equipment is placed on the tarp once we "stage". The other equip is: power saw and spare blade, irons, TNT tool (MY fave), 6 ft. pike, closet hook, ropes, lights for everyone on team, at least 1 radio for each team, and we usually field at least 2 three man teams. Everyone is cross trained on all equipment. We do our own accountability and also the accountability of wherever we are.
    SCBA We practice "blind switching". We carry 2 spare bottles with webbing. This can be dragged, attached to litter or carried. You tell person down what you are doing... you shut off his/her bottle, disconnect, swivel, connect FRESH bottle, and charge. This takes less then 20 seconds. The only bottle we can't do this with is Dreager... they use a diffferent thread and configuration.

We like a four man team but you work with what you get. In our first bag we have a spare bottle hooked up to a stripped down regulator and mask. The idea behind the reg. is if a ff is trapped in a way that makes is difficult or not quick enough to change a bottle we can just switch off the reg.. The mask is there for the reason if somehow the ff lost/broke their mask don't ask me how this would happen but why not be ready, or if we run to a town that does not have a compatible set up. We also carry wire cutters, pliers, knife, basic ems stuff and handlight in this bag, pretty small, easy to tote around and light enough you won't get winded dragging it around. We have the emt take this bag and take over primary ff care upon location. We also have a rope bag with a main rope to tie off at door and rope to tie of off main rope with, it also has a light. This is mostly the team leader bag. We carry an array of hand tools to choose from for the other two persons, including k-12, irons, 16# sledge(my fav.), collapsable ladder, chainsaw, denver tool aka tnt, and pike poles. Of course we have handlights for everyone and try to have two radios so we can break down into a two man two team group. With the exception of the bags it is just truck co. tools. We also have the tools in the rescue which is what we use as our team vehicle which vary form 1/8 wrenchs to hydraulic jacks and so on. As you probaly learned the tools don't make the team the men make the team, so none of this matters if you don't train.
    the truth never hides for long

MembersZone Subscriber

Firekatz - Do you remove the original cylinder? We found more problems in accessing the cylinder strap, retention clip, high pressure connection and cylinder valve than just clipping a spare pack on and changing regulators. How does it work out when you are in a tight or congested area?

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard anything about NFPA requiring a hand line as part Rit team equipment. Also is there a specific standard on RIT teams and there equipment?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think knowing where to get a handline when you need it is important. If there is no back up line in place and your problem is fire growth, all the tools in the world won't help. Hadn't seen any requirements for equipment other than identical to the interior crew IE PPE and SCBA

Hey Jim, I'd be interested in comments. What problems do you see with this. (We bring a whole pack with us, just in case.)

Halligan, no need to remove the bottle. The way we do it is similar to Pittsburghs hose swap off on the regulator. Spare bottle comes up alongside of downed firefighter, shut off downed ff's bottle, unscrew hose connection, swivel hose connection, screw onto fresh bottle, charge fresh bottle, check breathing, webbing wraps around SCBA waist strap with bottle on downed ff's legs. Downed ff is only "off air" for about 20 - 30 seconds.
    As I said, the only thing we can't do with depts in our area is a bottle swap with the Draegers. In that case, we do a complete swap.

Thread Information