Your MSA rep was correct, you could have applied for a TIC under Firefighting Equipment. If you filled the form out correctly and had a good narrative you could have been awarded the money just like anyone else.

I haven't heard yet whether there will be any new categories for 2002 but you can try this year under the F.E. category.

Good luck.