JCochran
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fire Hydrant Maintainace

My local VFD is having some problems with the local Water Athority. When asked about testing/maintaining hydrants we were told to leave them alone, that wastes too much water.
    I would like to have some documentation to take to them so they understand the importance of the tests.
    Any help/ideas that you can give me would be great.
    Thanks, Jack

KBrack
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ask them if they would like to carry the liability of a rusted or broken hydrant in court. Believe me, it happens. We do annual hydrant testing and greasing of threads. All repairs that we note are done by the water dept. For them it is like free testing.

Ray R
    Firehouse.com Guest

You might also talk to a local insurance agent on how to contact ISO for your region. ISO will provide a package of their requirements on water systems. They would like two tests per year. If you have none, the rating for you area goes down and the fire insurance rate increases for all. The water folks probably don't want that kind of publicity for a few dollars worth of water saved.

ECBURT
    Firehouse.com Guest

<. ISO will provide a package of their requirements on water systems. They would like two tests per year. If you have none, the rating for you area goes down and the fire insurance rate increases for all. >

Testing is 3% of the entire 100 point rating. Not likely to change rates

FSRIZZIO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Section 630 on page 28 of ISO's Fire Suppression Rating schedule states "Inspection and condition of hydrants should be in accordance with American Water Works Associaton Manual M-17." This manual gives good info. on this type of maintenance. It also references a couple of other resources as a concordance. We had the same "professional" opinion from our Water Dept. before we went ahead and started a regular testing schedule. This helped motivate other factors that resulted in a lower rating and saved a bunch of money for our good citizens.
    After that, nobody saw a problem with testing. What really happened was the people we had on the water dept. at the time smelled a little WORK. That problem has since been corrected and we know we can support our rating, and at least our fire flow with our hydrants.

Thread Information