Mike C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Rural ISO Ratings

What is your out of town rating, not yor town hydranted rating. No 9's need apply. Did you use shuttles or hose?

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our fire district has a district wide class 4. This includes our no-water areas. This was done using a tanker shuttle operation.

We are presently finishing up an upgrade program and will be evaluated by ISO in the next 6 months. We are shooting for a district wide Class 1.

K A
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think there are only 8 departments outside of 1000 feet from a fire hydrant with an ISO Class 4 or better.

Community fire, L,4, Loveland, CO 4, Beatty, NV 4, Alpine, CA 4, Prosepect Heights, IL 4, Fallon, NV 3, and Dolores, CO 3.

When did you get a 4 district wide?? What state are you in? Good Job.

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

KA,

I'm sorry to say I'm not sure when we got this rating, several years ago I believe. The D/C in charge of this project has been swamped and has been unable to provide me the documentation however he assures me, as the rest of the admin. has, that we are a district wide Class 4. Could they be mistaken? Certainly, but they have the documentation and as I said I have not seen it.

I've also been busy upgrading our equipment inventory to meet I.S.O. standards and training our personnel to flow our N.F.F. with a tanker shuttle to meet our new goal of Class 1. A self audit shows us a Class 2 with no problem, but we'll have to see.

Oh, by the way, I'm in the Show-Me state.

I have a question for you KA. We have a strip mall with a N.F.F. of 3500 gpm. There is a large water main (12") across a five lane road from this complex. According to I.S.O. this hydrant does not count because it is across the road. Have you ever heard of this? This and a couple of buildings that are fully sprinklered are on our batch list, these are our major problem areas with our upcoming rating. (We've addressed the sprinklered building issue already.)

Any info. is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

K A
    Firehouse.com Guest

--We have a strip mall with a N.F.F. of 3500 gpm. There is a large water main (12")--

A 12 inch main is capable of 3525 gpm.

--across a five lane road from this complex. According to I.S.O. this hydrant does not count because it is across the road.--

Get an official interpretation from ISO Dennis Gage and Ed Straw. Have them show you in writting where their Field Guide specificlly prohibits it. It ain't in there. Ask what they will except.

Others have done similar things. The letter of the rules does state you need carry sufficient hose to pull off the lay in 15 total minutes from first units arrival. The key may be do you have enough, are they subtracting the hose carriers and manpower, are they subtracting the relay engines, is there more than one hydrant? I know one place that packs their LDH on their ladders for such occassions so they don't lose credit for stafffing, pumps, etc plus they lay dual 5's. If you're career any rig not on the first alarm response will be delayed 3 minutes plus 2 minutes per mile, vollies lose 6 minutes plus two per mile from the arrival of the first rig is when the penalty starts.

Have a written SOP with PD to close off the road in the event of a fire. Have procedures that spell out how to do it. Video a real life demonstration of the lay with flow measurements and a real life time line.

If your operating on the FDS side of the schedule all they can say is yes.

--This and a couple of buildings that are fully sprinklered are on our batch list, --

Yep, ISO will tell you why. Lack of truss plans, lack of underground tests, twice yearly test data not getting to ISO Chicago,
    misig plans, no data on the riser, not hydraulicly calculated, and data from schedules of pipe missing. Odds are you dead meat on thise, just do your rural water thing. Two western departments shuttled and relayed over 3000 gpm to get their grades.

tcfdbat2
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our last grading, ISO gave us increased fireflow distances from buildings because of LDH. We found that they did not drop the available fire flow from a hydrant until the distance was at the 2nd break. I believe that is at 600'. We use 4" supply hose on all pumpers and pumper tankers. We (Tri-Community VFD in Collegedale, TN) have one of the ISO Class 4 ratings district wide (56 sqare miles) for Fire Department Supply of Water.

[This message has been edited by tcfdbat2 (edited September 11, 1999).]

jedge168
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department is a small rural one that happened to get lucky at some time in the past and receive a class 6 rating. This is a full district rating including non-hydranted areas. In these areas, water supply is accomplished by water shuttle from either a draft point or a nearby hydrant if we're lucky. Luckily from what I understand through recent area ISO inspections, ISO will not be doing their "routine" 10 year inspections anymore due to staffing cutbacks. I say luckily because we couldn't maintain that 6 if they did. Class 1, that's ambition. Good luck to you

Thread Information