Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face Wellness Programs

To my surprise , I was told that our department is looking to start a wellness program.The members on this committee are not sure were to start and I was hoping someone out there could pass on some info.
    This is truly in the begining phase and just some basics would be great.
    Dept info. Atlanta fire has about 900 uniformed personnal.All in various types of health conditions, from very good to very poor. THANKS!!!!!!
    Lt.Todd Edwards/AFD

------------------

Steamer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt.Todd--
    I think I'd consider checking with the trainers with the Falcons and/or the Braves. I would imagine they would be able to help, and the organizations may also support the program as a community service. they should at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Considering the physical demands placed on the players, there should be some common problems/procedures. I received physical therapy following a back injury several years ago from a therapist that was on the Philadelphia Eagles football organization during the years around their Superbowl appearance. I have yet to experience any recurrance of problems, and I've put it to the test many, many times since then. Granted, I still use the exercises he taught me, but that's the idea behind the program anyway.

This may not be feasable, but on the surface it seems like it would be worth a try. Good luck!

By the way, I see that your with the Atlanta Fire Department. I'm assuming that's Atlanta as in Georgia?! If not...disregard previous traffic!

------------------
    Steve Gallagher
    Chillicothe (Ohio) Fire Department

[This message has been edited by Steamer (edited January 20, 2000).]

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

How about starting with the IAFF/IAFC joint Health and Wellness initiative? Your union should have a copy or access to one.

Thread Information