Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Consolidation

west30capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Consolidation

Is there anyone out there that belongs to a dept. that has or is in the process of consolidation? If so, how has it worked out, for the good or the bad? You see, I live in an area where there are 7 depts. in a no more than 3-mile radius. I know wow, right? Every dept now seems to have a man power shortage. (meaning 1-4 ff's per unit). And on top of the manpower situation, $$$$ is turning out to be another one for all but 2 of those. Only three of these depts. has members that are in favor of consolidation. The rest don't want to hear what they refer to as the "C" word. Wouldn't it make sense to consolidate in our situation? I just think it would make a whole lot of sense to consolidate. The problem that seems to hold us back is egos. Nobody wants to give up that "white helmet." Another problem- if my particular station would consolidate with another dept. the other dept in our township has threated to take over our coverage area. And the only reason we have two is because of the geography of our township. So if anyone has any kind of input on consoldation please let me know.

Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I know your situation. Bloomsburg Fire Department (volunteer) is going thru the same thing. We have 4 stations "stratigicly located throughout town". Yeh that was great in the early 1900's (when stations found a perminate home), but we have seen the light.

Reduced manpower durring the day, and the fact that personel pass one station to get to theirs made the department consolidate. The biggest problems were:

1. Small town politics. To make it simple there are two many intrests to make everything jell together. (why can't we all get along)

2. By-laws and SOP's. There were several, lengthy meetings where the by-laws were hammered out, sent to the committee, and rejected by the other stations. SOP's, don't get me started, there is a nasty habit of people reporting directly to scene (lots of problums: accountability, scene congestion, ect..), well all of these are still being addressed.

3. Old school rivalry, some people still associate themselfs with station 1 or station 4, and cannot grasp the mentality of Fire DEPARTMENT. People have refused to ride on other rigs, driver lists are not expanding quickly enough to let most divers drive the first due piece. Officers bad mouthing the other stations. Even some stations still laying their hosebed reverse, even though the department lays forward. AGGGH!

4. The legal implications. We were to consolidate all our equipment and funds. One station who will remain nameless bought all their members watches before signing the papers. And the problem that some old timers who don't make calls but were still members not wanting to consolidate. Priorities!!!

We hopefully move into our new station before summer, all stations have now signed, and I think that once we all share the same house, things will change for the better. GOOD LUCK.

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

MembersZone Subscriber

We are going through a consolidation process. We also have 7 departments but cover 64 square miles. 4 of the 7 departments want to consolidate. We have formulated a consolidation plan which we are presenting to our tax payers next month. If you would like to see our information, go to www.centralcoventryfd.com . Good luck!
    Robert W. Seltzer
    Chief
    Central Coventry Fire District
    Coventry, R.I.

you can email these people .............they made a move http://www.allenclayjfd.org/
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default from todays news ...................

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=46626

Pennsylvania Fire Companies Announce Plan To Merge

Updated: 01-02-2006 10:03:05 AM

Story by wjactv.com

Westmont and Brownstown Volunteer Fire Companies will be known as the West Hills Volunteer Fire Company with 35 active members strong. Right now, Westmont's Fire Company has about 20 active members while Brownstown has about 8.

The reasons for this consolidation are that firefighter membership is down, it is more cost effective, and the two companies already go to calls together. The new company will run out of both stations. It will just have one set of officers. Fire officials don't expect any challenges with this change. They say it took three years to plan because they wanted to do it right. Originally, seven area fire departments were involved.

Cambria County's Emergency Director, Brian Feist, says this consolidation should improve response time, the number of firefighters at calls and overall service. But, as many know, consolidation isn't always a welcome change.

Don Blasko is the new fire chief of the new department. He tells Channel 6 News, "Changes are the way to go. It is the only way to help the fire service in general. Consolidating is one of the better things that anyone should really look at."

Feist says, "I think, in general, that a lot of fire departments, if for no other reason, finances and manpower, are going to have to do this."

Brownstown and Westmont modeled this consolidation after what the West Hills Police Department did.

The two become the West Hills Volunteer Fire Company January 1st.

Copyright 2005 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

News stories provided by third parties are not edited by "Site Publication" staff. For suggestions and comments, please click the Contact link at the bottom of this page.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Last year Pa. State Representative Timothy Solobay issued a study entitled "The Feasibility of Regionalizing Pennsylvania's Fire Companies", in which he points out the problems that plague many fire departments across the state, including declining membership, escalating operational costs, and massives overlapping and duplication of equipment and service (how many rescues do you need in a 10 square mile area of a rural township ??).
    All problems which exist to some extent in districts in every area of the country and I see consolidation as the only hope for many fire companies to survive in the years ahead.

The area where I live could be "poster child" for the need for consolidation but, as is the case in most areas, the big ugly EGO MONSTER stands in the way of anything like that happening. Within a 4 mile radious we have a city, and two townships, with a total of 6 fire stations, all of which experience manpower shortages in the daytime ( even with two paid drivers on duty in the city department 24/7 ) and personallity conflicts that border on being downright childish. They usually only call each other for mutual aid on the third alarm if at all.

I am afraid that until the old attitudes and egos die consolidation here and in so many other areas just will not happen.

Thread Information