EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Policy/Rules Firefighter Body Piercings?

Serious question: Does your fire department, company, or squad have a policy or any rules banning firefighter body, facial, eyebrow, lip, tongue, nose, and etc. piercings?

FF McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I'm currently out at college, and in between departments http://www.firehouse.com/interactive/boards/biggrin.gif -- But,

I am still taking training at the local fire Academy, and it is a steadfast rule that all piercings - and/or extraneous jewelry is removed before any life fire evolutions.

-- To me, it just makes sense. Do you really want to have a big hunk of metal - in, or on you skin that is going to heat up faster than the rest of the skin???

But I think that where you were headed, was something more like -- people having numerous piercings, and beingin uniform, or representing the Department.

In that regard, I feel that if a firefighter has a tattoo, or something similar- it should be covered by the uniform that he/she wears.

If they have a piercing(s) - and they are where the general public can see them, well they need to be removed.

------------------
    Marc

The opinions presented here are my own, and not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

"In Omnia Paratus"

EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's more info: While I want my Company to look good (like it or not we are all role models), I also don't want to invade what could be considered a member's freedom of speech and right to expression; but my FIRST concern is all about safety. A young construction worker I know was burned when he spilled gasoline on the hot exhaust of a welding machine. The medics had trouble getting an airway tube down because of his tongue and lower lip piercings. I don't think it's the safest fad and need to know if anyone has rules or policies in place.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department doesn't have any policies regarding tattoos or body piercings, but one of our neighboring departments won't hire someone who has visible tattoos.

Most departments prohibit the wearing of earrings, which can easily be extended to any piercing that's likely to get caught in a hood or other PPE. That should take care of the easily-visible piercings, as well as potential safety issues. As for other parts being pierced, I don't think it's any of the department's business.

The only piercing left that's likely to engender argument is a tongue stud, presumably over whether it's going to interfere with an injured FF's airway. I don't think so, and I'm speaking from personal experience. I've had dental X-rays with mine in, and I'm pretty sure it squishes far enough to the left to get a laryngoscope in there if I need a tube-I admit that I haven't tried, but I have a good imagination. [Incidentally, if you should ever need to remove a tongue stud, the ball underneath the tongue unscrews.] As to the heat issue: if the barbell in my mouth ever gets hot enough to burn me, I don't think I'm gonna care!

[This message has been edited by Quint1Medic (edited April 27, 2000).]

SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

A young man,who has/had eyebrow "jewelry", recently joined our department. After snagging it several times donning and doffing a facepiece he removed the "jewelry" himself. I had doubts about him when I first saw him with his piercings, but he is turning into a top notch firefighter........just goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!!

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

What old gyrene or sailor doesn't have a tatoo? Tongue, lip,or eyebrow piercing seems sick to me, but I'm an old dog in a sick world.

Semper Fi

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

On duty, FF's can wear one earring in each ear. No single ear piercings and no multiple piercings. You can wear one wedding ring, and one necklace under your uniform, but no other jewelry is allowed, so other piercings are not allowed.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

...so who checks?

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Good question! - depends what's pierced, I guess.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yup-anyone in fire administration who wants to find out if I have other piercings is gonna be in for a fight http://www.firehouse.com/interactive/boards/smile.gif

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

YES, it is City Policy to not have any tattoos and or Body piercings that are visible.

Having gone through my old piercing days many years ago, I understand people that want to, but now also understand administrations view.

We had a Paramedic ridalong that had several visible earings and other body adornments, we sent him home and wished him luck in completeing the program being unable to do his field work, unless he removed his piecrings.

I boils down to two things. Safety, and public perception. What they do on thier days off is thier problem. But on duty they belong to thier employers.

Thread Information