Default Volunteer Officer going for Paid Position

I am a volunteer Captain in a small volunteer fire dept. The Chief and Deputy are paid. The Deputy is moving to another firefighting job in the lower 48.

I am looking at applying and was wondering if there is any advice out there on moving from a volly to a career officer position.

Any comments or advice will be appreciated. I have the requirements for the job, just seems odd to be going for a "white hat position" I guess I am excited and also a little nervous on making the move.

Any advise????

Stay safe out there
    Sean Corrigan
    Captain

Forum Member

Seward - great town. I was there on the fourth of July 1987. Fireworks in daylight was new to me. LOL. I envy you for living in such a great part of the country. I don't know a lot about your dept, but if you don't change as a person then you won't have any problems. On a personal note you just have to put your family first and ask yourself if this is going to be a pay cut for you. Seward is a small town with a small tax base. Is the pay decent? What do you do now? Fish? Fishing is a good living last I knew. But the transition will be as easy or hard as you want it to be. If your head doesn't grow then you'll be fine. Congradulations! I think I even have a dept patch from you guys. Keep us updated on what happens.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

I am a 911 dispatcher for the city and it would be a big pay raise. The main concern I have is being a volly captain and being frineds with volunteers and moving up to a paid position in the same dept with the same volunteers, having never been a paid firefighter. I guess I am wondering how the change will be

thanks for the advise.

Stay safe out there

Sean

T. Barreca, Jr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nothing wrong with trying to better your self. The main thing you must remember is not to forget where you came from.

I have seen too many vollies turn career and and with the paycheck comes the idea that they are better now because of the pay.

You are an officer now and if you are a good officer and the firefighters in your department trust you then this shouldn't be a problem.

The only questions to ask is this a step up for my family and are they happy with this move. If so go for it.

Stay low - Be cool

Thanks......I do remember that I started as a vollie. I have talked tot he other volly officers and they say to go for it. I told them how I felt and they said they have no problem letting me know where I started if needed.

The position isnt open yet, but I am going to go for it. Thank you all for the advice.

Stay Safe out there

Sean

Thread Information