Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default No Way Around NFPA 1710?

Are there any real loop holes around NFPA 1710? I don't think there are for the following reasons.
    1. OSHA has delegated their authority to the NFPA. Judges and courts in and out of OSHA states are using OSHA as the "standard of the industry" for civil judgements. The fire service can expect to be measured to to that bar as well. Who within a jurisdiction would want the responsibility for that type of liability? Gross negligence could even result in criminal charges.
    2. For years the fire service has used NFPA standards to dictate everythinng from low expansion foam (NFPA 11) to occupational safety and health (NFPA 1500), this standard should carry no less weight. An attorney would not have to convince a judge that the NFPA is the standard of our industry, the fire service does every shift.
    3. How can jurisdictions impose and implement standards such as NFPA 14 (Standpipes), NFPA 220 (Standard Type of Building Construction) ect. at a tremendous cost to the private sector while failing to live up to the standards directed at the public sector? All these standards amplify safety for both civilians and firefighters. Can jurisdictions ask tax payers to do someting they are not willing to do themselves? A potential political fiasco.
    4.The International Association of Fire Fighters and Fire Chiefs along with the NFPA 1710 technical committee that could be argued was a "who's who" of the fire industry stand behind 1710. The professional reputations and the political resources behind this standard are to great to overcome. NFPA 1710 is not going away, it must be addressed just like 1500 was a few years ago and all the other standards from the past that were so controversial at the time of their implementation. One veteran NFPA member stated the last time he heard such an uproar from city management groups concerning a standard was when SCBA's were mandated.

I believe that in the future the fire service will look back on this staffing issue the same way we now view Rapid Intervention Crews, enclosed cabs, and SCBA's. Radical and too expensive today, routine standard of the industry tomorrow.
    Compliance will take time, creative management, and a larger part of the budget for the fire service, but it will happen.

These are my thoughts I would like to hear why you agree or disagree, and if you disagree how would you get around the points made. Thanks.

Personally, I think you hit the nail on the head.
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thread Information