Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LT Exam

Default LT Exam

I am in the process of updating our old lieutenants exam and would like for forum members to send me any ideas that you might have to freshen the test up. Send anything that you feel would be beneficial for an entry level lieutenant to know. Thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas.

What are you using for textbooks for the potential LT's to study from? That would help get you the information you are asking for here on the forums.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We will be using our SOGs, pre-plans and essentials 4th edition. I am looking for creative ideas aside from the textbooks. Some that I have received like specific questions about local businesses that are in our response district. I am uing the web as a resource to pick up a few new ideas. Thanks for your help..

I am in the process of setting up promotional testing now. I am looking at an interview process to direct questions to the applicant in reference to the position he or she will be filling. A Lieutenant being the first in the chain of command I am setting up questions pertaining to how they would handle minor infractions of the SOP’s, conflicts between coworkers, conflicts between subordinates and joe public and things of that nature. As the ranks increase, the difficulty of the questions increase. Good luck, and I would like to see a finished exam when your done.
    mcfpd900@yahoo.com
    Chief Gentry

After seeing waht you are using for texts, I feel that it doesn't really cover what a newbie LT will need to know. As company officer, the LT has a line to straddle. He/she is still a part of the vrew, but will have to step over the line to become the officer and has to be able to deal with his/her personnel for everything from minor disagreements to conflagrations of egos.

I would suggest the following:

IFSTA Fire Department Company Officer
    (great to learn ther basics of handling personnel)

The Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics by John Norman.

Collapse of Burning Buildings by Vincent Dunn.

Safety and Survival on the Fireground by Vincent Dunn.

All three of the above are excellent for tactics, startegy and safety.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

What about Brunacini's Fire Command?

Thread Information