jpm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default warehouse fire scenario

your department responds;

there is a very heavey fire and smoke condition upon arrival at a one story warehouse. the building is of 8"cinder block constuction on a concrete slab,open web light weight steel bar joist 36" on center with a steel deck ,built up tar roof.

the building is 80' wide 120' long

the warehouse is full of electronics.

the only entrance /egress is through an overhead door and a personnel door.

an employee tells you that the fire started in our about the center by two employees soldering pipes; both employees were last seen trying to extinguish the fire.

strategy and tactics please

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh boy...
    Size-up:
    Ok, let's pull the Engine-Tank just past the building, to the A-B corner. Stay back out of the collapse zone. Leave room for the ladder behind us on the D-A corner. That's also given me a look at three sides of the building.

There's no action I can immediately take to change the situation...so I establish command. I call for an a Tower on mutual aid. That'll give me 4 Engine-Tankers, 3 Engine/Hose Tenders, 3 Rescues, 1 Ladder, 1 Tower, and several miscellaneous units, probably 30-40 volunteers during the daytime.

Heavy fire in steel-joist building worries me...those joists are apt to expand and push out the walls. I also know this isn't a building type and occupancy (lots of aisles, etc -- big and confusing to search in) we're use to dealing with. I also know with the limited ventilation in this building (limited exits, no mention of windows -- I didn't see any on size up) with the heavy fire and smoke make it unlikely to have viable rescues...that building is going to be like an oven.

Strategy: Aggressively try to vent (although this will be difficult) and hit the fire hard to knock down. Re-evaluate the building's integrity once we've knocked it down some. Minimize personnel within the collapse zone.

Tactics: Make a quick entry into the doorway if possible. Do a very quick search near the door and open the roll up doors to relieve the smoke pressure. Pull the 3" bomb line and hit the fire with 750gpm. That will give us about 90 seconds off our 1200 gallon tank. After the initial vent & entry, keep the guys outside of the collapse zone

Grab a junior officer or senior firefighter and have them do a walk-around to check the rear of the building for you. Have them also see if those missing guys are out back.

Ladder truck to try to vent roof if possible...gonna be tough one though. Saw man has to stay on ladder or tethered close to the ladder.

Engine/Hose Tender to forward lay from the nearest hydrant about 1000' of 5", then continue on to a pond, about 2000' for a second water source. Initial hydrant flow of 1000gpm...2nd due Hose Tender pumps the hydrant later to boost that to 1500gpm. Pond supplies 1000gpm+.

As water supply improves, boost the portable master stream flows, and if the roof fails, the ladder pipes. Figure on having 2500 gpm available about 12 minutes after we arrived.

The goal is to knock down the fire a fast as possible and try to clear the smoke...the re-evaluate and see if it safe to move in. If you can, move in with 1.5/1.75" lines with Class A foam to put out hot spots and conduct a search of the area.

And a special thanks to jpm for this tough little scenario...I was having writer's block trying to think up one for April!

Matt

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dalmation90 did a great job on this one. Equipment placement on the corners is right-on, great view and less danger of a direct hit if, more likely when, the walls drop.

FFE3BFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is definitely a defensive operation with heavy fire and smoke showing. The construction and heavy fire load makes this senerio into a blast furance.

Size-up: Immediate 2nd alarm with a special call for a M/A tower. Stay out of the collapse zone but not at the corners.( saved for the towers) Response; 5 engines, 3 tower ladders and 1 air unit. Approx. 35 men

Strategy: Get some sort of vertical ventalation going but do not step on the roof. Look for sky-lights, vent fans or scuttle hatches to take out from the bucket of the aerial. Gear the engine co's. up for some master stream ops.

Tactics: Have the first alarm engines (3) bring water to the fire via LDH. We have a decent amount of hydrants in our industrial area with good flows. An engine would connect to the buildings's sprinkler connection, it may not put the fire out, but it should help contain it. First due truck co. would enter open the over-head and check around both doors for the two employees. The rest is simple, put the towers on the corners out of the smoke plume and flood it til it's out. The bar joist roof makes it to hazardous for interior work while the fire is going.

Mike

------------------
    ~Smooth Bore For The Hard Core~

Thread Information