Firehouse.com Guest

Default Whats in your brush gear pack?

There is a very active thread on what is carried in turnout gear. So what are you carrying in your brush gear pack?

Mine,

Extra bandana, and boot socks, in zip lock bags. Two quart canteens, and some kind of high energy snack food. Work gloves, leather, and fire gloves (for moving burning snags, etc).
    Head lamp and spare batteries, plus spare mini-mag flashlight. Flat file to sharpen rake or polaski. Small first aid kit. And lets not forget the fire shelter, mounted to the belly belt of my pack.

I'm sure there is more, but it's out in the toolbox in the bed of the truck along with my turnout gear.

Our department went with a quality backpack with a wide padded waist strap that does an excellent job of distributing the weight, and keeps it stable while working. Most people prefer it to the typical pack/web belt where most weight is on the belt.

Ray R
    Firehouse.com Guest

Let us not forget one very important item.
    Toilet Paper!

stone35
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is emberassing to admit, but our department does not have standard issue brush gear, just a brush jacket on request. Could you all suggest a durable, trustworthy type or model of a brush gear pack?

Thanks in advance,
    Stone35

CD
    Firehouse.com Guest

My web gear is designed for two general uses; #1 short duration fires, less than 8 hours. It contains: gallon of bottled water, compass with signal mirror, whistle, monocular, small headlamp, pen and paper, extra lightweight gloves, hazard flagging, and small fist aid kit, on the web gear, in a waist level hip bag. #2 long duration fires, over 12 hours. Contained in a back pack that clips on the web gear, extra gallon water, extra 4-D cell head lamp with halogen bulb, small AA battery powered wood burning back packing stove, 10 tubular webbing with carabiner, and one MRE (meal-ready-to-eat). In addition I carry a chest harness for a portable radio.

mifr50
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have issued a new piece of equipment to our SWI pack and that is the new "Hotshield" for face/neck and respiratory protection. If you haven't seen one look into it. We have used them extensively over the past two years in Fla. with excellent results.

mifr50
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have issued a new piece of equipment to our SWI pack and that is the new "Hotshield" for face/neck and respiratory protection. If you haven't seen one look into it. We have used them extensively over the past two years in Fla. with excellent results.

mifr50
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firehouse.com Guest

Stone35,

Your department needs to look into a minimual amount of gear for wildland firefighting.

Most every department in the county has addopted the SOP's, that if you don't have the minimum equipment and tools, you don't go into the woods. Life safety is #1 concern, then we worry about fighting fire.

Minimum: approved brush coat, and pants, brush helmet, with goggles, and neck and ear protection. 8" or taller all leather boots, and leather brush fire gloves, lighter than structural fire gloves, but have nomex cuffs to keep embers out, and a way to carry water and a fire shelter.

And never carry your fire shelter where you can't get it out of the case, with one hand, while running. In extreem situations you may not have time to take your pack off to get to your shelter. But if you carry fusesses in your pack, don't take them into the shelter with you.

I will find the source of the packs we use and forward later. They have a padded waist strap, padded sholder straps, and a chest strap. This provides a stable fit, so it doesn't move around while working, and comfortable for extended periods of time. It also has a compartment for water bladder, which some members have chosen to use. I prefer the canteens as they can be easily filled when drinking water is accessable.

Tim Schaffner
    Firehouse.com Guest

We also carry extra eye protection , ear plugs , copy of standard fire orders , extra cotton teeshirt , flares , knife ,and pass tag. Think about bottled spring water instead of canteen. Also 30' of 6mm rope w/beaner. One other thing....asprin !!!!
    Be Safe...work smarter not harder!!!!!

Thread Information