David Polikoff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Cutoff saw blades for cutting metal

I am looking for a saw blade that we can mount on our cut off saw that will cut metal (bars on windows, rebar...) but will not fall apart if exposed to gasoline fumes.

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Good Luck ! As far as I know all metal blades need to be stored away from gas.

Captain Hickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

HHoffman is correct. Have yet to see a manufacture of Composite Blades, Metal or Masonary, that can be stored in an area with gasoline. Fumes from the gasoline break down the resins used to hold the blades together. Also be careful not to store them with your Hurst equipment. The fumes from the oil used in Hurst equipment also has a tendency to act on the resins also.

David Polikoff
    Firehouse.com Guest

I did have luck with a company called Radiack out of Ill. They make a blade that will cut metal, but is held together with a resin other than rubber. It is the rubber resin that breaks down when exposed to fumes. if you would like more Info. just E-Mail me at Fireman340@aol.com

[This message has been edited by David Polikoff (edited September 12, 1999).]

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

RADIAC has a web site at: www.radiac.com

Forum Member

All right weurjr is not the only one that can dig up an old subject.

I am looking for info printed or online that acutaly states why blades should not be stored in the same compartment as gasoline. I remember hearing this before and when I stated it to the guys on my shift I got some pretty interesting looks. So can anybody point me in the right direction here. I basicaly know why you shouldn't do it, but I want to be able to prove it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well........

Meck, Try the websites for the Saw and Blade manufacturers, Partner, Stihl, Husquvarna, Etc.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Yeah, I got on a couple before I looked here. I put a couple of messages in to the technical departments via e-mail and am waiting to see what I get. Nothing so far guess we'll see in a couple of days.
    Part of the debate is that all the saws that come with boxes have slots for the blades, so it must be ok to store them there. Also I have heard the angle of construction companies do it all the time, they are careless about thier storage and at times spill gas all over them with out so much as a care. My defense to this is that thier blades aren't exposed for an extended duration such as ours. We use the saw very rarely so 2 things happen- 1 the blades are exposed much longer- 2 with the infrequencey that we use them, we may just be lucking out and not having problems. When construction crews use them, they may be going thru 2 or 3 a day if they have big enough job.

Does anyone have any war stories about possible problems related to this subject.

Forum Member

Default Fire rescue saws vs. Construction cut off saws.

[My Name is Joe Martin. I work with Henry county fire department in Henry county, Ga. In the coming year myself and the rest of my company are trying to beef up our truck company operations. In doing so I was looking over our current K12 saw ( as we refer to it.) and noticed some alarming information on the side of the blade guard. We are currently running a Stihl TS 400 saw. This saw is one that can be purchased at any local Home Depot or other home improvement distributor. We run 12" blades of which one is a carbide tip blade used in wood cutting forced entry and ventilation. Upon investigation I found that the saw specifically warns explicitly against using any type of carbide tip or wood cutting blades. Myself and the other members of my company are concerned (even though we have had no other problems in the past) that there is a liability issue in using this blade against the manufacturer's specs.

I said all that to say this. 1. If you or your department currently use one of the Stihl brand saws please ensure the blades being used are within the manufacturer's specs. 2. I would like any additional info on possibly retrofitting the current saws we have to meet the standards needed for utilizing this saw in our applications. As I have been told many departments purchase these saws with these retrofits in place at the time of purchase. Or Could anyone give me info about what the current differences are between the saws used in fire rescue and construction based applications and what components would need to be added or taken off the saw to allow for safe operation. And 3. If anyone knows of a good multipurpose blade that will fall inside the guidlines of proper use.

I have come across in my research a blade called the Blackstar diamond blade that is a new development. It is a diamond blade with wood cutting applications. However, getting pricing and general specs on this blade have been hard to come by.

Any imput or info would greatly be appreciated. Please e-mail me a jlmartin_25@hotmail.com with any additional info.
    Last edited by Country667; 12-30-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Forum Member

Default Blade storage

The key we have found in the whole aluminum oxide/metal cutting blade issue has been hit on the head in an earlier post- FREQUENCY. On our truck we carry 4 saws, spare blades and the fuel cans in the same compartment,and have done so for years. The key is, as I said, is FREQUENCY. Whether or not the saws (which are run every day,mind you) are used on a job, the blades are constantly rotated through training. We cut any time we can, which will cause you to rotate blades at a high enough frequency to where degridation will not be a problem. The blades we are currently use run around $40 bucks a piece and are used on any metal we can find to practice: (vehicle extrication vehicles, discarded metal railings, cutting padlocks instead of using the bolt cutters etc.) This is justified since metal cutting with the K-12 saw requires a good amount of skill and technique to maintain a safe operation.

Interestingly enough just last week we were operating at a fire where our second due truck (who RELIGIOUSLY keeps blades and gasoline seperate and has chastized us for not doing so) had their blade shatter right before our eyes into a bunch of pieces. Upon talking to the members of this "less-than-motivated" Truck, not one member working could even guess the age of the blade and "couldn't remember" the last time it was used. One even suggested it could have been as much as 2 YEARS OLD!!!!! Unacceptable.

And If you're gonna tell me that you're that strapped for $40 bucks every few months at minimum, either have a bake sale to buy some blades or get out of the truck business. JMFO.

Be Seen.. Not Heard

MembersZone Subscriber

We are pretty new to the cutoff saw thing, but we have a "D'ax" Carbide blade on our new Stihl TS 700 saw (which is a beautiful unit BTW). It cuts most everything, and we keep a Warthog vent blade for big roof work.

We do have boxes of concrete and metal composite blades for big jobs, but they are stored separately so the gas is not an issue.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

yep, that's not a good combination.. better use cutting discs. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/smith...__W0QQ_armrsZ1) This one I'm using right now and is working just fine. Try it. It's called Smith & Arrow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hansteep View Post
    yep, that's not a good combination.. better use cutting discs. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/smith...__W0QQ_armrsZ1) This one I'm using right now and is working just fine. Try it. It's called Smith & Arrow.
    so how's sales going

Back In Black

Wow, this thread is older than my first born.

You dredged it up to sell blades?

How creative.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information