Thread: Hoods

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Hoods

Where can i buy one of those hoods that have the mesh openings over the ears and top? I am cruious as to how they work.

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Hey e33,
    I don't know about you, but I don't like the thought of the ears being open on a hood. I've had the ends of my ears burnt and it doesn't feel to good.(thermal burns from steam) The thought of a hood is to totally protect your head. Why the openings? I would like some more info on these hoods also.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have heard that firefighters overseas wear these to determine when it is too hot..sounds primitive, but id like to try one in the burn building a few times and evaluate them.

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well,

One big problem I have with hoods is the body heat retention they exhibit. The Morning Pride company has some vented hoods that allow body heat to vent out the top of your head, into your helmet. I wonder how long that will last! I have not tried this style, but understand from my wife that "Santa" may leave one in my stocking this year.

I'd be interested in trying the kind e33 described...

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.

Kenny

***DISCLAIMER***
    All postings I have &/or will post are strictly my opinions. I am representing only myself here, not the IAFF, Local 3133, or my employer. No animals were/will be harmed from the production of this disclaimer. Thank you.
    ***END OF DISCLAIMER***

[This message has been edited by Truckie from Missouri (edited November 28, 1999).]

STA2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I agree with David from Jersey. The whole point of a hood is to protect your ENTIRE head, not certain parts. If your ears burn your whole head may as well be on fire but your concentration will be out the window. There is only 1 way to go. Reed hood with a nomex sock hood underneath. Be safe.

Larry

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is a reed hood? I understand all of you have opinions on this and no offense..but my question is where can i get this kind of hood. There was a hood forum a while ago, If i wanted to get all of your opinions on hood use..I would go there and read. Thank you for the help so far.

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

e33,
    The Reed Hood, constructed like a turnout coat, is made by Globe ( www.globefiresuits.com ). It was designed by a Captain Clifford Reed, of the Houston Fire Department. One dealer who sells them is Casco Industries (888-634-3473 or www.cascoindustries.com ). Neither web site has any info on the hood; maybe STA2 can add some more details - he's with Houston FD and they use the Reed Hoods. They are quite expensive (over $150).

shoopy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Our department has tried the "REED" hoods and found that they are different but in the long run we went back to the conventional hood with mesh on top. I think that if you contact Globe and tell them you would like to try one or contact you local Globe dealer they can help you out. Ones with openings for ears can be nice to tell if it is to hot but let a heat sensor worn on turnout gear do that for you, do solely on the fact that burns hurt like hell especially on the ears.

sarge552
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

e33-I do know that Gall's carried those types of hoods, you might want to check them out. I know their prices are probably better then going to the big distributors.

flyer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I saw the hoods with the mesh around the ears in the UK. They have done a lot of excellent research over the last 3 years and they are moving away from this style. They dont really help to detect heat. There are much better indicators of potential Flashover and Backdraft than your ears! See Paul Grimwoods site at firetactics.com

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

E33,

I have been using the Morning Pride hood with the mesh on top for over 2 years now. I have had no problems with it. I have been in basements fires, above the fire, in the fire apartment and I have found nothing wrong with it. I am pretty sure they are designed to work with the Ben Franklin and or the Cairns 1010 where there is a space above your head in the helmet. This allows the heat that is building up in your body to escape.

There was also an interesting hood study done in WNYF, the FDNY training publication, on hoods. I will see about getting the issue date to you.

The Morning Pride dealer for the State of NJ is Trilex in Passaic. Don't have the number, but if you call 411, they are listed. I tcost me about $35.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

P.P.
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been using the "Reed" hood for about two years. After using it I would not go back to the traditional hood. The thought that you need to feel heat so you know when it's getting to hot is crazy. In this day and age you shouldn't have to get burned to know that your in to far.

Remember Safety First!

P.P.

JBROWNL8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

REED!!! The only way to go. I dont leave the truck without it. I am such a believer in them that I own several so just in the case I lose one. The debate on this can go on and on till we are blue in the face. But all you need to do is get a few steam burns on those ears and you would think "damn, enough of this".

I also wear a sock hood under the REED just in case I am not sealed correctly.

Go get you a hair dryer and blow air through the sock hood that you wear and see the amount of heat comes through. JUST FROM A HAIR DRYER! The REED, NONE!

Now, you have to understand why Houston Fire Department and all the depts in the county and surronding counties wears them.

By far THE MOST AGRESSIVE that I have seen. (MY OPINION, dont want to get any feathers in a ruffle)

Brothers and Sisters,
    Be safe and GOD Bless!

J.B.

firelieut14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

What ever happened to good ol' nomex hoods? First it's the mesh topped hood...permits the body heat to vent...Where? Into your helmet. There aren't any holes in your helmet. So the heat realy doesn't get vented...kind of silly if you ask me...What if you're one of those macho smoke eaters who thinks chin straps are for sissies. Off comes the helmet when the you-know-what is hitting the you-know-where, and look...no more hair on your head...real macho now baldy...

All kidding aside, they do have thier potential, unlike the "great" PBI hoods that stretch and loose thier elasticity after the first use.

Be safe...

P.S.: To answer your question, I think you can get them through the Gall's catalog now.
    ------------------
    firelieut14@hotmail.com

The above message is of my own opinion, and not that of the U.S. Coast Guard or that of the Coast Guard Fire Department

[This message has been edited by firelieut14 (edited January 30, 2000).]

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for all the replies, and I was only searching for info and opinions. My curiosity has been satisfied.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reed Hood

I have been wearing the Reed hood for the past nine years and will not wear anything else! One question that has come up is that does the Reed hood give people a false sense of security and cause them to "bury up inside" ? Don't look at it that way. I sold my department on them with the feature that if you get your leather knocked off, your entire head is protected just like you were to pull your coat up over your head. Yes, you definitely can take a beating with the Reed hood, but you walk out without your ears and neck burned from steam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STA2
    I agree with David from Jersey. The whole point of a hood is to protect your ENTIRE head, not certain parts. If your ears burn your whole head may as well be on fire but your concentration will be out the window. There is only 1 way to go. Reed hood with a nomex sock hood underneath. Be safe.

Larry
    Ditto!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Thread Information