Paul you are right and you know as well as I do that the difference between the two are very similar. When we vent a building either horizontal or vertical to release the heat and smoke, the handline crews should not just rush right in and start hosing down everything. Hoseline crews should make a visual from the exterior on how the ventilation is working. If a larger column or thicker smoke is coming out or even flames then you know that the fire has reacted with the air that has been introduced from the vent and now its time to do your best work. ( extinguishment & rescue) This does not take that long 15 to 30 seconds.
I tried this on a Training fire where I volunteer. I filled a bedroom and living room with old ragged furniture that I found on street curbs during spring clean-up. I set the bed on fire and let it heat up to the point that 75 percent of the room was rolling with fire. I had my vent crew vent horizontal while the hoseline crew stood by. Nobody was in the building at this time. When my vent crew vented it only took about 10 seconds by stop watch until the fire had reacted with the air from the vent. The fire and smoke changed unbelievable. My hoseline crew went in and stop the fire to that room. Since most of the fire and smoke was pouring out the window, the hoseline crew just kept blowing it out in that direction. We did that type of evolution four times that day and every time the procedure work like you read it from a book.
It just seems to me that alot of company's think that venting a structure takes to long or should be done after the hoseline crew has entered the structure. If company's would train on all aspects of venting, that have been metioned through out this article and proper hoseline advancement. I could almost bet you my paycheck that the severe burns and deaths would be alot lower from Flashovers or Backdrafts. Also fire fighters should be wearing their entire proper gear.
VENT EARLY, VENT OFTEN, VENT FOR LIFE............ Thanks for the welcome