Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Thermal Imaging Cam's...

Any input into the best Thermal Cam's in the market. My department has $20,000 from our city to spend, and I would like some input to have for the meeting. We have looked at a few, and its kinda hard to say "this is the best" when its not in the heat, soot, weather, dropped, etc. Everyone says, "this is the best Cam in the market", as all sales reps do, but, we, the first hand users of the equipment know the truth. Problem is, I have never used one in action, nor have the members of my department.

Now, do you prefer the hand held, or the helmet mount. My opinion is the hand held, due to much easier access for other firefighters if needed etc. Any input here will definately be used in our meeting, as with the officers kicking around the options available etc. Thanks and be safe.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT
    Clairton Fire Dept (swPA)
    Instant Messenger=Scene25

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

There's an entire forum for TICs located below under the Internet and Technology Section. Look there for more info.

PBFTRK33
    Firehouse.com Guest

John, I have an in depth report from the Department of the Navy that evaluated 6 or 7 imagers. You can borrow it if you want, give me a call.

Jim Crawford

D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have four of the Cairn's Iris helmet mounted imagers. Many of the trucks captains that have them don't put them on at first unless there is a report of someone trapped because of the fact that they are very difficult to do any work with when you have them on besides searching. We still do the primary search the old fashioned way and then right into opening everything up and you can't do much of this with the helmet on. They are fantastic for searching though and really good for finding hot spots in the walls and stuff like that. Many of our captains said they would prefer handheld imagers if we buy anymore. Cairn's has a handheld coming out and it's supposed to be one of the best according to one of the reps we have.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We recently purchased two thermal imagers as part off an equipment and training grant from the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority. We had all of the representatives from all the TIC manufacturer's come to show their stuff, and we went with the Bullard.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thank you all, and Jim, Ill contact you real soon.

Thanks and Be Safe

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT
    Clairton Fire Dept (swPA)
    Instant Messenger=Scene25

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

After looking at several of the others on the market over the last few months, we just put our 3rd Bullard into service.

With that said, do your own eval. There is some great info posted in these forums and take input from everyone here, but do your own eval. and take the Navy report with a grain of salt. For whatever reason, they did their eval again and as far as I know the results aren't in yet.

Your budget allows you to choose from all but 1 that I'm aware of and you might be able to get them down. In fact I know of a brand you could almost buy 2 with your budget.

Set up a burn, call them all and tell them when and where to be and if they want to be considered for purchase they HAVE to be there with an imager that has a transmitter. Use that so evryone outside can see what's going on - especially the media. Then tell the media for the safety of the people in your community, you'd like one for every rig but you just don't have the money - but donations can be sent to.... Maybe the local Rockefellers will see it and give a big donation.

Use the people in your dept. that will be using the imager to do the eval - the line firefighters, not the goobers that think TICs are cool and just want to play with it. You know the types I'm talking about.

Read the TIC section in these forums, put the info to good use, but do your own eval.

I suggest a handheld.

[This message has been edited by S. Cook (edited January 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by S. Cook (edited January 05, 2000).]

FiRsqDvr45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

PBFTRK33, Where would one procure a copy of that Navy Report? We are also studying TIC and it may help us to read a copy.

------------------
    FF/EMT Jay Ellingson
    Newington,NH FD &
    Water Country EMS
    Be Safe!

I merely have the privilege of working for the listed agencies and my views are my own and in no way represent either fine agency in any way.

Inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

We just purchesed a Bullard after looking at and using almost every type on the market at live burns. In my opinion, the Bullard was the best then in close second was the Scott hand-held. We looked at the helmet mounted one and it didn't cut it. The image that was produced was horrible and you couldn't tell a fellow firefighter from a hot door. Also with the helmet mounted compaired to the hand-held is that you are always looking through the thermal image and can't pull it down to look with your naked eye. There are some manufactuers that cameras were bad but I don't want to give them bad advertising here infront of everyone. E-mail me for further questions.

------------------
    When In Doubt, Blitz It Out!

Inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

See Above ^

[This message has been edited by Inferno (edited January 23, 2000).]

stvfd88
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to agree with S Cook. Set up a burn, and require that the vendors show up with a trained rep so you can put the cameras to the test. Our department recently did this, and, we decided to go with the hand held Bullard model. Seems to be simple to use, have good battery life, and gave excellent results in the burn. The helmet mounted versions werent all that popular due to weight and limited view. Whichever way you go, just make sure that your firefighters are trained that this is just another "tool" in their toolbox...don't fall into the trap of relying on the camera exclusively. Be safe!

------------------
    Scott Lambert
    Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department

TIMan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello All,

Saw a reference to the (first) Navy Evaluation. Just so everyone knows a second evaluation was completed in December and the results should be available to the public any day now. 2 more units passed the second evaluation, so ISG is no longer "the only TI to pass the Navy Evaluation". As soon as the report is available I will post directions on how to obtain a copy of it in the Thermal Imaging section (under Internet & Technology). I am not real big on anyone using these reports as the sole deciding factor, but you should look at all of the info available.

Good Luck, Be Safe,
    TIman

[This message has been edited by TIMan (edited January 25, 2000).]

ff25wfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

In the wake of our tragedy we had 2 imagers donated by fire optic they are handheld and are nickel-plated the pictures are incredible and yhey will tell you the temp of anything you point it at. It will even show you how much propane you may have in a tank. They also are firefighter proof! The salesman threw it 15 ft against a brick wall then kicked it back like a soocor ball. Rescue seems to like them. We also are getting a few of the new bullards.

Thread Information