djs523
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Large Diameter Flexible Pipe

We are looking seriously at the 10" flexible pipe as a means to get big water in a big way. Does anyone out there have any experience with 10" or 12" flexible pipe? If so, how have you worked laying it and what type of connections are you using?

KEA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

djs523: // Need water in a big way//

Need more information in a big way!

What is the applicatoin?
    Fixed system or portable?

I assume that your looking at massive fire flows for some type of Industrial purpose if your wanting 10-12" pipe for water supply.

What is your Maximum flow capabilities for your current staffing and equipment, handline nozzles, monitors, etc?

If your current capacity based on equipment and staffing only amounts to 2-3000gpm it doesn't make much sense to go to such large and cumbersome 10-12" pipe in my opinion.

Best question: Did you recently see a sales presentation from someone telling you all the reasons you should go to 10" or 12" pipe?

Let us know!
    Kirk

[This message has been edited by KEA (edited January 04, 2000).]

Animal
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I don't know about 10-12" pipe... We're using 6" flexible hard sleeve on our pumpers, and the stuff is solid gold... it gives you a little more room for error when you'r pulling up to a dry hydrant, allows your floating strainer to go down a little more.. and it's a -lot- lighter than the old, stiffer hard sleeve. Just all-around more convenient. I agree with KEA, I can't see the need for a monster pipe like that with "standard" fire equipment flowing <= 3000 gpm. But let us know what your application is.

djs523
    Firehouse.com Guest

You got it, we are an industrial facility. Our worse case is looking like 25,000 gpm need for large diameter tank fire, 15,000 gpm fir foam application and 10,000 gpm for cooling. This does not include cooling exposures.

The application we are looking at for the hose is to bring in cooling water for the exposures. Our underground supply is designed to deliver 31,000 gpm - probably can get the 25,000 gpm out of it. But need an additional 6 to 8,000 gpm for cooling adjacent structures.

We have adequate manpower and our equipment is adequate. We are looking at some new delivery devices and a 6000 gpm portable pump to push the water into the 10" flexible pipe.

djs523
    Firehouse.com Guest

To get to the second part of you question, no I didn't see a sales pitch. What inspired this was I just spent $26 million in fire water system upgrade and am looking at another $5 million and I still won't get what I need. Most of the cost is in burying the hard pipe.

I have adequate supply for most of our fixed processing equipment, but to get the piping up to speed in the tank farm area we are looking at an extremely expensive proposition. Hence the look at the large diameter flexible pipe. We lay it when we need it (which I hope is never).

LHS
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is nothing like 10 inch and 12 hose. But storz fitting not bulk heads. You'll need to configure your hydrants to make full use of the big hose. Shell in the Houston area is running 10 inch and East Bay Mud in SF CA uses 10 inch.

djs523
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've talked to Chief Hawthorne at Shell. He likes it.

I've been talking with Angus, where we are now is talking logistics on how to lay the hose.

KEA
    Firehouse.com Guest

djs523: Check with Dave Cochran with Boots & Coots. From past discussions with them I know that they have laid some pretty big line a long way but not sure of the size. I know that they are mobile and that is the key. I understand that Boots & Coots was merged with some other company but don't know the name.

I've got there direct number if you like.

Hope that helps.

Kirk Allen
    First Strike Technologies, Inc.

Thread Information