HYTHE FIRE DEPARTMENT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Webbing, what is it for?

I was reading in another topic line about what some fire fighters carry in their pockets. I found it interesting that many fire fighters carry webbing in their pockets.

What exactly is the webbing used for? What does it looke like? How do you use it? where do you get it? I have never heard or seen how it is used or why.

John

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

For lack of a better description, webbing is just a fabric strap. A seat belt in a car is made of webbing.

Most firefighters use the 1" tubular webbing that you can see here - http://www.cmcrescue.com/products/webbing.htm

You can use it for lots of things, hose straps, slings, personal escape, rescue drags, a short search line and other applications where you can use a short section of rope.

I find it's biggest advantage over rope is that it takes up very little space. I carry 20' in my turnout pants pocket and there's still plenty of room in it.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Webbing is a flat synthetic strap which is very strong. It is similar to a flattened nylon rope and is made in various widths, thickness, and strength. I like to use the one inch wide, tube type. You should be able to get it at any rescue rope supplier. I have bought it at Army surplus stores and large flea markets. The uses of webbing are only limited by it's availability, rated strength and your imagination. Tie just about anything up, down, together, with webbing. Only use the good stuff in critical situations like Swiss Seats & litter rigging. Leave the Army surplus & flea market kind for common use where it doesn't have to be depended upon.

It's kind of the duct tape of the fire service.

[This message has been edited by DD (edited January 12, 2000).]

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

As the others have said, webbing has hundreds of uses. Search line to link to rescuers together (large open rooms), towing victims, "saving out own" applictaions, etc. I carry 20' of CMCs 1" webbing in bright orange I keep it in a loop and have two carbiners attached to it.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

In addition to already mentioned, webbing can be used to carry tools together and tie doors back on fire scenes. For vehicle rescue, webbing can be used to secure roofs when flapped, or for controlled release of metal (tie off to the window frame of a door to help guide it while it's being popped with the spreaders or cut, rather than butting the door with a person).

I have even watched a combative patient be "secured" by personal webbing on an EMS run. And the list goes on......

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I personnaly carry a 20' section in my coat pocket and a 30' section with a steel "D" ring in my pants pocket. With just this simple amount it provides the ability for: Large area searches ("D" ring on commercial door way or something substantial and go), raising and lowering of equipment (hose, toolboxes, CO monitors, etc.), an escape from upper floors (With a halligan and a piece of webbing you can make a rapid exit), securing of doors and hatches (Cars, houses,
    buildings, etc.), securing patients to backboards and any other utility purpose you can think of. By far the best is the ability to exit from an upper floor with webbing, a "D" ring and a Halligan tool. Be safe.

Larry

stvfd88
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think the guys here have hit most of the common uses for webbing. It is a rather inexpensive item, and as you can see has a ton of uses. I recommend to anyone carry at least a 25' strap with a carabiner. I've used mine for more things than I can remember. Be safe!

------------------
    Scott Lambert
    Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department

Thread Information