Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Creative Damming & Diking 101

We had an auto accident this morning, which ended up being no injuries.

I was assigned to sweep up some sand and put it on the leaking antifreeze from one of the pickups. And as I walked to it, figured it was kinda dumb to start sweeping while antifreeze was still coming out at a pretty good clip from the leak...fortunately, that's persons pickup bed is about as messy as mine, and I found an empty coffee cup in it that I put under the main leak.

I guess it caught on...since a few minutes later I saw another coffee cup next to it...and a bit later, it was joined by a hubcap that feel off the truck that was catching what the two coffee cups didn't. We ended up with maybe 2 cups of antifreeze caught, and more still coming -- wonder what the tow truck guy thought!

Matt

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

That's the ingenuity of the American Firefighter...using every available resource at his or her disposal. I once did a similar antifreeze recovery, only the car involved had a couple of old pots and pans in the back seat, along with a large bag of kitty litter that had gotten torn open on impact.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited February 03, 2000).]

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just had a 100 gallon diesel spill (tonight). The diking material was sand and it doesn't hold very well. We took a piece of the wrecked truck's tarp and covered the back side of the sand dike. Then we dumped more sand behind the tarp. Kind of a tarp sandwich. It worked very well and contained
    the diesel in the ditch and kept it out of a creek. The cleanup contractor will be able to handle it easily. Hopefully it won't rain or snow too soon.

Today's other truck wreck didn't spill over a gallon of diesel. It was a biological mess. Just 1,150 turkeys. Many dead, many injured,
    and a whole lot of turkey inards and stuff
    on the road. The driver was hurt, but not critically.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Zada (edited February 03, 2000).]

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The AMERICAN FIRE SERVICE!

Over 350 years young and going strong!

To quote the Great One, (Clint Eastwood, from his role as the USMC Gunnery Sergeant in that movie about the invasion of Grenada, IMPROVISE! ADAPT! OVERCOME!

Yes, we in the fire service have a proud heritage, and that comes from our ability to improvise, adapt, & overcome!

I am very proud to be a member of the fire service. I stand side by side and call you, my fellow fire service members, Brothers & Sisters!

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.

Ken

***DISCLAIMER***
    All postings I have &/or will post are strictly my opinions. I am representing only myself here, not the IAFF, Local 3133, or my employer. No animals were/will be harmed from the production of this disclaimer. Thank you.
    ***END OF DISCLAIMER***

[This message has been edited by Truckie from Missouri (edited February 04, 2000).]

MGNBFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

A few years ago we had a home heating oil truck rupture a pipe that spilled hundreds of gallons of oil. It all ran into a storm drain that emptied into a local pond. The first company on the call arrivied to find a spreading waterbourn oil slick, they quickly pulled a 2 1/2" line caped the ends and filled it with air "instant oil boom". This allowed the rapid containment of the spill until our oil spill unit arrived. P.S. I wish I had thought of it

Michael Gomes
    Lt. Engine 7

FSRIZZIO
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've had spills of fuels/oils in ditches and creek areas before. We found that a few square bales of hay or straw make a good filter when water is flowing and your going to lose your contaminates into a stream. Plenty of hay here, maybe we could sell some to city guys. hmmmm.
    Be Safe, Frank

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My story is simple, a few years ago a home heating oil truck was cut off at an intersection, driver took a hard left, and you guessed it, up and over. The truck happened to d it right in frond of a tri-axle carrying and load of sand, and you would've thought the dump driver was a FF. He spun that thing around and put the whole load right in front of the catch basin that goes directly into a swamp. I'll do some diggin and see if I can find some pics to post later. Until then...

------------------
    Stay Safe.

Whip

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Don't forget to close valves. A few years ago a road tractor wrecked and ripped open a diesel saddle tank. It had tanks on both sides of the truck and they held over 100 gallons each. The opening was near the top of the tank, but fuel was continuing to run out. It should have leaked to the opening level and then stopped. The truck was leaning to the drivers side. Fuel from the passenger side saddle tank was running through the crossover line to the busted tank and running out. By simply closing the valve in the crossover line, the leak was stopped.

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

All good ideas.... And..yes...using your head is the best one. Just be careful and watch that you do not use something that will react negatively with the product that is spilling... Example (as stupid as it may seem)--I ran a spill once where the first in engine had used ingenuity to contain a leaking gasoline tank. They used an old cooler. Good idea...but...The cooler was styrofoam and began to break down. Also remember that when using containers to collect spilling product, that the spilling product creates static electricity as it falls.

Talking of ingenuity for containing spills. My company is involved in cleaning up the #6 fuel oil spill on the Paxtuxant River in St. Mary's County Maryland. The waters are rough and the crews have some up with very good ways to anchor sweeps, snares, and other containment devices. This spill has been the largest I have ever worked (110,000 gallons). The local paper on Sunday reported less than 30000 gallons of liquid had been recovered and ove 1/1 million pounds of contaminated absorbant, adsorbant and booming materials had been removed from the site. That includes over 6000 feet of booms.

Thread Information