Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riding posiions

Brownie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Riding posiions

Hello gang, I am new to the forum and would like to see if riding positions are a losing
    battle or beneficial to all depts.
    My dept uses riding positions because of the
    many companies around my area get to the scene and just freelance or go for what they
    know which is pretty much nothing. I ,for
    example, if riding the Truck in the OVM position ,get off and report to the rear of the structure and give a brief report and then if no life safety were in need report back to the Force man for assistance in search or extinguishment, or if working ,
    start ventilation fo interior crews so that
    they would not get hammered inside with
    heat and smoke conditions. I think its a basic and necessary need in every dept and
    would like feedback so as to hopefully start
    to incorporate it in some smaller dept's and
    make them see the need for proper tactical and incident management without seeing anymore losing efforts because of alot of
    " OLD SCHOOL FIREFIGHTING " , just go and put the wet stuff on the red stuff, without really knowing what the whole picture is. I am from a small area and my dept always gets ragged on for trying to be like the city
    boys "FDNY". We have purchased a truck from
    NY , the old Ladder 30 from Harlem and it can be found @ Pennsville Fire Dept.'s homepage.

"Truck 5 , Vent early and Vent often "
    "Suppression through Aggression "

------------------
    F/F B.Brown Sta. 5

[This message has been edited by Brownie (edited February 18, 2000).]

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

We try this method, but the one problem I've found as we're vol. is you never know who's going to be sitting where.

So, we give company officers the otion to simply change the assignemnents based on the strengths of whoever's sitting in a seat.

Brownie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Thanks S Cook ,
    I know thats a big problem in ours too , but one thing we try to do is qualify our f/f 's to be primary on the most important piece that responds the most . Say if I just joined the dept , I would get black shield qualified ,which is engine primary and then red shield , which is truck qualified , then go through hell trying to get qualified on the rescue which will take me to blue shield, the hardest shield to obtain in our dept. It is because of the many things that the rescue has (i.e.:trench rescue,confined space,torch ops,heavy rescue ,etc.). Our manpower is adequate at mostly every part of the day but sometimes you run out low. I guess your training has to be very good as to get your new members qualified quickly because then almost all members can have the same training.
    When we join we have three years to obtain NJFF-1,EMT, and HazMat Operations which in New Jersey is all you need to be basic and the proceed to the next level which is where ever you want to go in the fire service as volunteer or proceed to paid.

thanks for giving your thoughts and procedures of your dept. .//

bb

------------------
    Station 5
    EMT F/F Brown
    Past Captain

[This message has been edited by Brownie (edited February 19, 2000).]

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you are volunteer, that is even a better reason for having riding assignments. It will take out the confusion of who is doing what and will allow the officer to concern himself with more important things.

I have included the riding assignments for my truck company. These can also be found in the Fireground Tactics forum under the topic Standard Riding Positions dated January 10, 2000. Also in that topic is the riding assignments for the Engine Company we are quartered with.

In Bayonne we will always have a minimum of an officer, a chauffeur, and a firefighter. Let's start with the truck company. Due to the fact that in the summer we will have heavy vacations thus leaving us with either 3 or 4 members and in the rest of the year light vactions, leaving us with 5 members, I think I can give you a good mix.

3 members Officer, Chauffeur, Firefighter
    Officer-Radio,portable light, irons
    Firefighter- 6' Hook, 2.5 gal water can (if hi-rise or building with metal doors and bucks(jambs), bring hydra force tool also).This firefighter teams up with the officer.
    Chauffeur-sets up apparatus for civilian removal and /or 2nd means of egress for the brothers. If unable due to overhead obstructions,will throw ladders and assumes the duties of outside vent man.Radio,portable light,6' hook and a halligan.

4 members Officer, Chauffeur, Two(2) Firefighters
    Firefighter- 6' Hook, 2.5 gal water can (if hi-rise or building with metal doors and bucks(jambs), bring hydra force tool also). This firefighter teams up with the officer.
    Firefighter(OVM)-Radio,portable light,6' hook and a halligan. If top floor fire, brings the Life Saving Rope bag and roof saw.
    Chauffeur-sets up apparatus for civilian removal and /or 2nd means of egress for the brothers.If unable due to overhead obstructions,will throw ladders and if may join up with the OVM. Radio,portable light,6' hook and flat head axe.

5 members Officer, Chauffeur, Three(3) Firefighters
    Firefighter- 6' Hook, 2.5 gal water can (if hi-rise or building with metal doors and bucks(jambs), bring hydra force tool also). This firefighter teams up with the officer.
    Firefighter(OVM)-Radio,portable light,6' hook and a halligan.
    Firefighter(OVM/roof)-Radio,portable light,6' hook and a flat head axe. If top floor fire, brings the Life Saving Rope bag and roof saw.
    Chauffeur-sets up apparatus for civilian removal and /or 2nd means of egress for the brothers.If unable due to overhead obstructions,will throw ladders and remain outside and assist with the changing of the truck company's SCBA's and truck company duties in the vicinity of the front of the fire building.

Hope this is helpful.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

Brownie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks Bayonne, I like your setup. It is exactly what we do in Pennsville ,I get all kinds of rash because we go that way and all other surrounding dept.'s like to guess and often drop the ball.
    Our first out piece is our Engine/Squirt and it usually has an Chaffeur,OIC,Forceman,and Canman, maybe a extra for hydrant catching or dropping the line for incoming engine.Our second out piece is our Truck and it is specifically for Truck work.It usually has Chaffeur,OIC,OVM,Forceman, and sometimes an extra or two,and duties are checking the rear of structure (OVM), Force and OIC begin ventilation by groundladders or by the chaffeur setting up the stick and the crew and their tools(pikes and K-12) go to work. The next piece is the Rescue and its personnel act as secondary search /rescue ,each member has a radio,light,irons,and PW Cans.The EMS crew sets up rehab and may all of you that dance with devil stay safe and remember......

"SUPPRESSION THROUGH AGGRESSION"

Take care and thanks for all your help!!

bb

------------------
    Station 5
    EMT F/F Brown
    Past Captain

[This message has been edited by Brownie (edited February 20, 2000).]

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We too are volunteer and riding positions work for us. Having standards helps eliminate confusion and insures the tasks are covered. Of course, the officer on the piece or the IC can deviate from these guidelines.

wt311
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We are a part paid department with reserve personnel that do duty time or reserve manning as we call it. They are required to do 24 hr/mo. We sit as follows:

Engine Co.

Position 1: Engineer he is the driver and pump operator and will be used as ff if needed. Such as auto aid calls where we are assigned to other duties and we are not pumping

Position 2: Company Officer

Position 3: Behind Company Officer: Hydrant or ff duties if no hydrant line is laid.

Position 4: Behind Engineer: If drafting or tender shuttle operation is used this position helps the engineer. Then moves to ff duties.

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

As far as assigning a firefighter to a position or seat you can't for you never know who may show uo for a job. We do have seat assignments. There is no problem w/ this for it is in our SOP's, so you reallly don't have a choice to follow and to learn the seats and their jobs.

position 1: (behind the officer seat) Take's the knob.(w/ him also takes a handlight)

position 2: (behind the chauffer) Has force entry and quick horizonal venting.(w/ him he has an irons set, k-tool, rabbit tool and a pike pole.

position 3: (across from seat 1) Backs up man w/ knob and takes a tool to his preference.(a handlight and a haligan, pickhead ax, or a Denver tool etc...)

position 4: (across from seat 2) Prepairs to wrap the hydrant(if needed) and assist the chauffer and then prepares to take the second knob if and when needed.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

[This message has been edited by DED1645 (edited March 05, 2000).]

Brownie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks DED, It seems that most dept.'s run out with the same setup. I think that setup works well, I also think that it should be the standard for dept.'s.
    The goal should be to always have two f/f's and a chaffeur, the officer could be the chaffeur if running out short, because usually you have a second engine or piece with an officer on it anyway and you should be able to start operations without waiting for some guy with a white hat on to assume command when the driver can do it until second due engine arrives or first due truck is on scene. DED ,I went to camden county fire academy and know that you guys up there pretty much got the same training that I went through, awesome training !!!!
    Take care and maybe we will see each other someday training up @ Camden Fire School.//

bb

------------------
    Station 5
    EMT F/F Brown
    Past Captain

Thread Information