Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool An (early) March Scenario...Get out your white hats...

Well, I'm in class 6 out of the next 7 weekends, so my free time is about to go out the window.

So, I'm posting the March scenario early for y'all.

Little different from most of mine, which focus on a company officer's initial attacks.

This is one for you to sit down and think out as a Chief -- it's a challenging one.

Worst part is, it's mostly a real situation for us. I might have some of the details wrong (don't know the exact measurements or number of patients, and the kitchen isn't there, but I'm real close! Didn't bother to go read the pre-plans ) but essentially, it's what we're faced with.

First, your maps:

(If some of you don't get the images, please post it here...I just realized I have a bad name for them that might not show up in Netscape!)

Now, for the worst conceivable location for a fire. Someone got a little perturbed in the Kitchen, and throw a vat of oil. The oil flashed, overwhelmed the sprinklers in the kitchen. Being the kitchen is in the old section, the fire swept out the door and started extending up the open staircase (permits say there aren't supposed to be residents upstairs).

What the heck, we'll also assume they've chocked the fire doors open, so they didn't close when the alarm went off.

Wind is a slight breeze out of the west (gave you one bit of help )

And fire is showing from the kitchen windows on the "B" side (right next to the driveway...there is only a foot between the house and the edge of the 8' wide driveway...)

If it's any help, the one advantage is there is another nursing home across the street the evacuees can be moved to.

Feel free to use whatever resources y'all normally do (or wish you had...)

It's your call, Chief...

Play Hard, Have Fun, Stay Safe,
    Matt

Oh yeah, Hey Led...the new part is on a slab, but the old section does have a full basement.

[This message has been edited by Dalmation90 (edited February 22, 2000).]

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nice work Matt. Do you use "Paint" for the scene drawings? How did you find that "Y'all" where you live?

[This message has been edited by Capt. Zada (edited February 22, 2000).]

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I did use Paint for these...

Usually use Visio because it's much, much easier to edit & change things in, but I had to return the laptop it was on, and haven't gotten around to installing it on my new PC yet.

I then use another shareware program called VuePro that converts them from Paint's *.bmp format into *.gif for the internet.

Matt

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

What kind of Fire Marshal lets you put the FD connection there???

I'll be back with a shot at it.

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Hey Matt:

This right?

<p align="center"></p>

And NO I didn't draw the smoke spread, we all know it'll be everywhere!

Just thought I'd give ya a hand!

Ken
    Local 3133

ps. Yeah, who in there right mind would put/allow to be put an FDC THERE?!?

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Looks good...the one other thing I should add is as you walk in the front door of the old section, that's were the staircase upstairs is. Since it was an old colonial house, the stairway's not enclosed so as soon as the fire left the kitchen, it also went upstairs

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

2 Engines, 1 Ladder - 9 guys.

First engine catches the closest hydrant, forward lays to the fire building. 1st attack line goes in the front door of the new building to attack the body of fire in the old building - 2.5".

Second 2.5" line off the 1st engine (E2's crew) into front door of building down the hallway and into the room nearest the FD connection. The line goes out the window and down to the FD connection to supply the sprinkler system.

You said the original fire in the kitchen was overwhelmed due to the size and intensity of the grease fire. That should not inhibit the sprinkler heads upstairs from stopping the fire spread and confining it to the old building. We will support the sprinklers with the 2.5" line until the large kitchen fire is out, then mop up with 1.75" lines.

Ladder to the roof to open the attic (Operator sets the ladder - rest of crew cuts hole when they're available) - probably a balloon construction and we already have an attack fire. We do need to put a 1.75" line on the neighbors fence or house to protect that exposure until the fire is knocked down (one guy from L1.)

Lastly - and most importantly - after initiating the first attack line, we will attempt to evacuate residents (Ladder 1 and E2 crews) across the street. However, the sprinklers knocking down fire upstairs and the heavy fire attack should quickly stop the smoke production, so venting with fans (E2 crew while bringing supply line through building) and keeping residents in their rooms (in the new building) with shut doors may work also.

The old building is a write off, the sprinklers should protect anyone staying upstairs, that area must be searched and evacuated and completely overhauled (call-ins) to prevent any additional fire spread.

Matt - this would have been a lot more fun if the old building had NO sprinklers, but the new building did. Then, I would have had to call for mutual aid. Otherwise, we only called in 6 guys off duty to provide the overhaul and any additional EMS needs for residents.

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I like running the sprinkler supply through the building...creative.

As an FYI, the "old building" is just that -- colonial era post & beam, so it's not as dangerous as a balloon building, but you also never know what's happened with all the renovations over the years.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Why didn't I take the day off? Thinking as a chief (is this an oxymoron or what! LOL)

Life hazard...automatic second alarm and mutual aid companies and as ,many ambulances as you can get to evacuate residents who cannot walk out on their own. Then I would use Benson 911's tactics of taking the hydrant and running the sprinkler supply through the building, since we have the potential for the fire blowing at us from the kitchen area windows if the wind kicks up.

The second due engine can drop lines at the first engine, go to the pond and draft to boost water supply to the first due engine.

There are supposed to be no residents in the old section, so I'm assuming that that area is mostly offices and/or storage. Upon the arrival of the other companies have them start the evacuation of residents. If the sprinkler system did it's job on floor #2 and contained the fire's extension, you will only have to contend with the kitchen area for for extinguishment. Rotate the crews out on a regular basis and set up a rehab area. There will have to be extensive overhauling.

------------------
    Take care and stay safe...Lt. Gonzo

StaticPressure
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hang the Fire Marshal that allowed an FDC to be put in that location. If it was allowed to be put there, I can guarantee its not been serviced. In that case, even though the sprinkler was apparently working, but overwhelmed, running the 2.5 through the area adjacent to the fire area is risky. I would utilize that 2.5 handline to protect the wing after checking for extension by pulling ceilings, etc. Just a thought.

Chief Fire Marshal

------------------
    Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are purely mine and not that of the department or any associations of which I am a member. They have their own ridiculous views.

Stay Safe and Stay In the House!

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Good Job Benson and Gonzo!

I was wondrin' about the lay to that FDC also... thought about going around the north side of the bldg. and through the west exterior door or possibly straight through resident's windows/rooms to it.

Since I'm "chiefing" this one... I'd get the first engine on the hydrant(also) and have 'em pull lines to cut-off/contain fire in the old part... and then start hollerin'... for 2-3 more alarms, hirebacks, ambos, 10,000g tankers from the county (only piece of hard suction I've seen lately is out at drill field and since I didn't bring a pole, pond won't help me ), Red Cross, even cops....

Got to set up Command and probably give the tactics over to the Ops Sector, put first ambulance in charge of EMS/evacuation sector... then get the crayolas out and start drawing....

Considering the amount of fire, evacuation is going to be a priority; if we can hold the fire, even long enough to get the folks out the front, then Great... if not, they gotta get out so might have to shuffle them out of the back(? west side?) doors. That's going to be labor-intensive and time consuming(probably)... would be great if the staff is able to assist if they're still around.(!?) Once we get the evacuation going well/completed... well, maybe before... emphasize to my Ops Sector to get some lines to that bothersome FDC (and by the way, go ahead and call FM office and have them report to scene to see what their malfunction has wrought, maybe have them hump some hose?) and support the sprinklers; try our best to contain fire to the old part by giving Ops enough help, hose and water; set up a Staging officer down the street to prevent congestion and send people down to us in an orderly manner.

Recap: Evacuation is priority, going to commit enough firefightin' resources to hold the fire until that's done and then worry about putting the thang out cold. Hopefully we'll have enough help, soon enough to prevent a disaster.

Thread Information