Thread: Tank to Pump

StaticPressure
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Tank to Pump

How many of you ride with your tank to pump valve open at all times? Just curious.

------------------
    Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are purely mine and not that of the department or any associations of which I am a member. They have their own ridiculous views.

Stay Safe and Stay In the House!

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our main attack truck has something I haven't seen other places (it was on the '73, and we had the same thing built on the '95), but it's not something I look for either.

We have an air-actuated tank-to-pump valve. We keep the tank-to-pump closed normally {it's not good if your pump packings or something else lets go and the truck drains out in the station and no one's in the bay for a couple days to notice until you get to the fire...and I have found trucks peeing from the pumps for various reasons in the past! Probably more of a concern for vollies) About a quarter mile before the scene the driver flips a switch, the tank-to-pump handle shoots out, and the pump floods.

One warning...if you use it when not driving down the road, make sure no one's by the pump panel...the handle is, eer, just below the belt-line on most people. Brings to mind a famous xmas time show

LHS
    Firehouse.com Guest

We keep ours, twin 4" tank to pump lines open 24/7/365. We are not concerned about draining the tank via our packing.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

We don't keep ours open. What advantage does it provide? It takes less than 2 seconds to pull it when you reach the pump panel.

BriTHFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

We also run a wet pump. Not quite sure what the actual benefits are, but, we do it.

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good question Benson...we keep our pumps dry in winter. (OK folks, that's a discussion for another thread!) So it the air-actuated valve saves some seconds on scene for us, and we have a very aggressive attack line setup that could be deployed before the pump is flooded if we waited till we were on scene to flood the pump. If you're running wet pumps, probably doesn't make much of a time difference.

Todd Trimble
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We run ours closed except on our grass rig (and our pumps are wet always). Why? Well, on our two tankers, the handles for "tank to pump" are located so that someone would be sure to step on them if extended all the time. The Engine and Rescue have top mounter panels, so we could probably run with them open, but it's easier to convince members that "all the valves should be closed" than it is to convince them that "all the valves except xxx, yyy and zzz should be closed."
    The grass rig valve is a screw-gate valve that requires about 417 turns to open, so we leave it open since it's not in the way of anything...

------------------
    Todd Trimble
    Fairland Volunteer Fire Department

Todd Trimble
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We run ours closed except on our grass rig (and our pumps are wet always). Why? Well, on our two tankers, the handles for "tank to pump" are located so that someone would be sure to step on them if extended all the time. The Engine and Rescue have top mounter panels, so we could probably run with them open, but it's easier to convince members that "all the valves should be closed" than it is to convince them that "all the valves except xxx, yyy and zzz should be closed."
    The grass rig valve is a screw-gate valve that requires about 417 turns to open, so we leave it open since it's not in the way of anything...

------------------
    Todd Trimble
    Fairland Volunteer Fire Department

PLAYPIPE
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run with the tank to pump valve open.
    (We have our handles on the tank to pump gate valves configured to be open when the handle is in.)

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

We used to run a dry pump, but the dry weather out here was drying out the packing. Now, I keep my tank to pump open. Other keep it closed with a wet pump. Either way, with good PM/M you'll be find

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

We keep pumps wet to avoid having to prime, but tank valve closed. Pump operators check to see that the water tanks are full and the pumps are wet at the start of each shift.

------------------
    Mike Gentili
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

We keep our tank to pump valves closed. We always keep the pump full of water, so i see no reason to leave the valve open, as Benson said it only takes less than 2 seconds to pull it.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We keep the pump wet and the tank to pump valve closed. Any engineer worth his salt can get you tank water within seconds!

------------------
    Take care and stay safe...Lt. Gonzo

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Pumps drained in the winter and wet in the summer. The tank-to-pump valve always closed. Never seemed to take the forces of gravity long to prime the pump when you open the valve even with the pump dry.

A department I used to be on practiced opening the tank-to-pump valve before leaving the station to allow the water to fill the pump enroute. I really don't see much difference in the time needed to get the water moving at the scene either way.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Thread Information