BIG PAULIE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post advancing large handlines

Just a little survey. I am an instructor of fire streams. When I teach large handline deployment(2-1/2" and 3") I get into some pretty high flows. My question is, When you pull a large handline how often or what percentage of the time are you actually advancing while flowing water. My teachings are geared towards pulling the big line to make a big initial hit on a fire from a specific place in a stationary position. Basically this is a ofensive attack.

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well, our use of the 2.5" is almost always on agricultural buildings -- especially chicken coops which we have go up about once every other year (we used to be a huge poultry area).

We do move the 2.5" -- generally perpindecular (sp?) to the building from the unburned end to the seat. And we all admit it ain't pretty -- it's a 7+ firefighter muckle on. But flowing 350gpm fog it does a good job knocking down the bulk of the fire and the handlines can mop up. Of course if the roof has already burned out, we just sit back and let the ladder pipe have at.

But outside of that situation, I can't see us advancing/moving a big line while flowing!

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

We sometimes advance a 2 1/2 while flowing, but another method we have been using is: We deploy a 2 1/2 with a stacked tip smoothbore nozzle (with a 1 1/4 tip i think it is flowing 328 GPM), advance it to the structure, find our fire and hit it hard with the 2 1/2 then we shut down the 2 1/2. Another firefighter will follow in the attack crew and he has a hose pack similar to a high rise pack and he will follow the attack crew and after they shut down the 2 1/2 he attaches the 1 3/4 directly to the tip of the 2 1/2 and we use it as a gate valve basically. Our 2 1/2 preconnect is 150' and the hose pack is also 150'. This gives us 300' of hose to use. After knocking down the fire with the 2 1/2 we have the easier to work wirh 1 3/4 for use in the structure. We had to practice for a while, but it works out good.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

[This message has been edited by NUMBY (edited March 07, 2000).]

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our usual practice is to deploy the 3" handline with a 1 1/4" tip. This line is used to make a blitz attack on the main body of the fire. After hitting the fire, the line is shut down then repositioned for further use.

If the bulk of the fire is knocked down, we also use our standpipe kit with 150' of 1 3/4" off the SB nozzle for mop-up.

Moving the 3" while flowing is possible, it's difficult and even dangerous for our 3-person companies.

Stay safe,
    Steve

------------------
    "RESCUE"-The firefighters that firefighters call!

Dale Smith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Boy Paulie you have been a busy little dube.
    I have always been taught not to move a large line while flowing water. Shut it down unless it is necessary to keep it flowing. If it should get away from the nozzle man it could be a hole lot worse. I have tried to move them and unless the backup guys are good and there is a lot of communication it is very difficult.
    The only time that I have been trained to move while it is flowing is fighting fires like propane etc. and again communication is the key.

------------------

Thread Information