Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post SCBA'S at MVA'S?

Hey, just recently took a class on extrication and our instructor insisted that in an extrication your 2 guys on the handline should be scotted up(or MSA'd up to be polliticly correct)and BREATHING AIR while the extrication is in progress. This struck me as odd, our dept. always pulls a foam line and dons the SCBA but never breath air right off. Any ideas?

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nick, does this instructor work for an equipment company that does bottle refills????

That's an interesting scenario. I've heard of that being done, maybe at a haz-mat/MVA scene with extrication but a general extrication??? I guess you can't fault anybody for doing it, safety is the fact the handline is there anyway right???

I personally have my handline crews stage at a safe distance from the scene with air packs donned but I don't order them to mask up. I figure they can start applying water/foam from a distance while masking up.

My opinion. I'd be interested to hear if some depts have SOP's regarding being ON AIR at MVA scenes.

Rescue Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

Ray
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think it is great that you have enough manpower to have a foam line pulled. As far as the SCBA's. I think it is a good idea to have them on but not breathing air. Does the extrication stop when these guys need to change bottles.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Soooo, car catches fire just as the hose team's low pressure alarms go off and you do????

E21
    Firehouse.com Guest

we do were scba on handlines at MVA's but were not breathing the air. I think dal 90 explained it best as to why we dont breathe the air while extricating. Be kind of embarsing when the car goes kaboom and we need to rebottle up.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Yeah, that was my general feeling on this matter. I just wanted to see if any one has sog's to do this. And as far as the pulling of the hand line goes this was an after 4pm scenario because just yesterday at 9am we had one and we didn't have the manpower to pull one, hey this is Maine we're talkin' about here!

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sort of along the same thinking, does anybody mask up for natural gas leaks while waiting for the gas company???

Lt. Kevin C.

Lt Big 29er
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm all for protecting our own but please, let's not forget to use our own common sense. This policy strikes me as being counterproductive .

[This message has been edited by Lt Big 29er (edited May 28, 2000).]

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hi all, the second in engine pulls the safty line, but we are not wearing scba's.

To pokeyfd12, yes I have my scba on for gas leaks, but I wont be on air.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe

fireater
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with all of you! why would you be on air so that when you were need your bell was going off? I agree that personal safty is the main important but i think that is going a little over board. I have started to also put my SCBA on a natural gas leaks

------------------
    Stay Safe and remember to put the wet stuff on the red stuff

Mike DeVuono
    Firehouse.com Guest

Forgot to mention,

Suppose the car never catches fire. That's two bottles that are now out of service in case you have to go somewhere with fire immediately following the MVA or up until your BA guy gets a chance to fill it.

Be safe, but let's use a little common sense.

------------------
    Mike DeVuono
    Warminster Fire Dept.
    Engine Co. 91

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

Thread Information