FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post 1st alarm Companies

How does your Dept. show up at fires...does the first in Eng. Co. stretch the first hose line and attack meanwhile all later arriving Co's stage and await an assignment from comand. Or does the first Eng. and Trk. pull up and go to work and 2nd due Co's just park walk-in to get an assignment...ect?
    I'm particularly interested in whether the Co's have pre-determined assingments After the first line has been stretched and in operation, does the 1st Truck Co. start venting/Sch&Res...ect.? or do they wait in their rig for comand to give them orders. the same ? for 2nd Eng or Quint ect. or whatever you happen to have.
    Do your Chief officers give you the responsibility for those tactical decisions or are you expected to wait for his orders?

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited May 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited May 10, 2000).]

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

A working fire assignment for our dept is as follows: 1st. engine goes directly into a scene followed by the 3000 gallon tanker (even in our large hydrant district) This is done so we can be self suficient untill the other engines arrive, as a volunteer dept. you never can tell when those other engines will arrive! Next comes our other 2 engines, the next of which lays a 5" line, and the other will pump the hydrant if needed and of course 3 chiefs. I areas of town where we are 10 miles away, we have automatic response agreements with the next town over who is just down the street from those areas

LynFD49
    Firehouse.com Guest

1st alarm, confirmed fire, night time...

1st engine (6 man crew)grabs closest plug,
    officer and 2 SCBA take attack line (150 or 200' depending on sit.) insde to fire. Other 2 SCBA, after establishing water supply, grab 200'min attack line and stage at door. (2in-2out) They may also throw a ladder up if the fire is on 2nd floor as an escape route for interior team.
    Truck co (6 man crew) comes in the "back way" to nose into the engine. Officer and 2 SCBA grab attack line off engine and enter as back up. 2 SCBA to the roof, if theyre lucky, or inside for vent.
    Rescue co (8 man crew) 1st team (off and 2 ff) inside for primary search.. Team 2 as secondary search or additional line or whatever is requested by command..Team 3 assigned as needed
    EMS rescue co..arrive after Rescue co to set up rehab, manpower pool, excetera..

Yeah yeah yeah...i know this is basic..but you honestly dont expect me to be specific as to what each and every individual ff's responsibilites are at each alarm...i would be here for a week!!

As for day time alarms....add another 55' telesquirt and a 1000gal TP from mutual aid co's, with chiefs.

For schools...4 engines, 2 trucks, 1 telesquirt, 3 rescue co's, 1 ems unit and an ambulance...to start it can only go up from there!

------------------
    Stay Safe And Stay Low

Brian

[This message has been edited by LynFD49 (edited May 11, 2000).]

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our first in rigs all carry 2000 gallons of water and use CAFS on all fires. The first rig will not drive by a hydrant without laying a supply line on any reported structure fire. On obvious large fires dual 5" lines are laid. All 2nd in units also will lay on a confirmed fire, it carries 2500 gallons and CAFS. On really large fires they select the best possible hydrant and lay two or four lines.

On rural events the first rig supported by a three 4000 gallon tenders makes the attack. Three additional 4000, one 7000 and two 2000 gallon tenders are available as needed.

If a water source, pond, lake, ditch etc is available on the way in within the 1/2 mile 5 inch hose load carried a line would be laid in. Roads are labeled for hose lays to allow several rigs to lay at once and indicate possible and impossible lays and where each relay pumper would park if any.

The 2nd in rig will go to draft and pump or extend the line with its 1 mile 5" bed and the 3rd or 4th ins could extend the line another 2 miles as needed. Each rig is setup to lift water up to 200 feet in height 3 to 400 feet from the rig at altitude.

When we are beyond hose lay length 3 to 4 miles we shuttle. Every engine and ladder truck can shuttle water as needed.

Each seating position on every rig is pre-determined. Ie. attack, supply, vent, ladders, search, cutter, spreader, cribbing, etc.

By sop the 2nd in stages unless a confirmed fire or extrication is in progress. If so they go into an sop mode or act as directed.

First in unit or member with a radio is command. Our command and duty officer units if they arrive first are command. If the first radio on scene is doing a good job rarely will they be replaced by a higher ranking officer.

We cover the largest area of any department in the US and have to have members who can perform by SOP regardless of the size of the event or compexity.

On occassion we've had rigs operating 150 miles or more from their fire stations for days at a time. Differentially corrected GPS corrected mobile data terminals and electronic personnel monitoring areused extensively. Tasks like pre-plans, hydrant data, haz mat, ordinance, directions, etc are available by simply pushing a button.

Initial attack is typically a 1 or 2 inch CAFS line supported by an imager or two with vent, search and salvage performed simultaneously by the first crew of 10.

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Box alarm, for all structures:
    4 engines (4 ff's ea.)
    2 trucks (5, no wait 4 ff's ea)
    1 Rescue Squad (5 firefighters)

First Engine Lays in, leaving a man at the hydrant with a hydrant valve. Second Engine lays in to side 3.

Third and Fourth Engine pump the first and second.

First engine pulls line to fire, unless it is a basement, in which case they hold the first floor.

Second Engine checks basement and advances line up stairs to back up / go above first.

Third Engine Backs up or goes above the first. (typically the third engine is on scene before the first has their line in service.)

Fourth engine usually covers exposures.

Lines are 2 200' 1 1/2" crosslays (125gpm) 1 350-400' 1 1/2" (125 gpm) and 1 200' 2 1/2" (225-325) gpm

First Truck forces entry if necessary, ladders side 1 (and 2&4), ventilates roof, controls utilities, checks for extension, salvages and overhauls. When we had a fifth man, he typically forced entry and searched with the first engine.

Second truck does the same from side 3.

Rescue squad has two teams, they search the builidng. The squad typically arrives with or before the third engine.

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

...Lines are 2 200' 1 1/2" crosslays (125gpm) 1 350-400' 1 1/2" (125 gpm) and 1 200' 2 1/2" (225-325) gpm

S Brooks

Do you really pump 259 to 312 psi to get 125 gpm through a 300 to 400 foot 1 1/2" line?

chevelle ss
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are a combination dept. with career f/f's driving the equipment and volly's coming in their personal vehicles.We respond 2 engines and a truck. The truck is 1st out the door and 1st due engine will hit a hydrant if he has smoke showing. As per manpower assignments it all depends on how many volly's show up.

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I should have worded the question a bit differently. What I was getting at was wether or not you as a company have the lattitude, standing orders, or pre-determined assingments that can be undertaken without staging first and waiting for a chief officer(command) to assign a company to a particular task? i.e. ventilate search and rescue.

Rob
    Firehouse.com Guest

2 pumps, 1 aerial, 1 rescue in most parts of the city.

In halls with a tanker, they go also. And in the high rise we go with 3 pumpers, 2 aerials, 1 rescue.

------------------

LT trk106
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We are a small comb dept. 12 full-time (union) members plus a chief. We also have 6 reserves< that we call for all structure fires. We never know if we will get 1 or all 6 reserves, so we plan on none.
    The officer in charge,a Captain, has the responsibility to make what ever assignments he needs to handle the incident without the Chiefs ok.
    We run four man crews at full strength, 3 when someone is sick or vacation. Two trucks on ALL calls. Lead engine will go to scene, second lays 5" .
    If we need , call-in all off-duty, and mutial aid.

LT.

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

On our combination dept., the normal 1st alarm for a working fire at a single family woodframe is two engines and one squad.
    The first due engine(officer and engineer) will usually pass command and initiate a quick attack utilizing water in its tank, with the second due engine hitting a hydrant for the water supply. The first arriving officer whether it be volunteer or career usually takes command. This officer will retain command unless it is tactically advantageous to pass it, or if the officer is not that experienced.
    Volunteers respond in their POV's and also bring the support vehicles.
    Companies and IC are set up in staging after the initial attack group enters the structure:
    1. Attack group (1st due)
    2. IC (includes staging, accountability, safety)
    3. Truck ops
    4. RIT
    5. Water supply
    6. Relief Co. (RIT will usually move up with the relief co moving to RIT)

Finally, our co. officers can make the tactical decisions.

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

The sop pressures for the 400' 1 1/2" is 220 psi...some how they believe that 30 psi / 100' thru 1 1/2" results in 125 gpm. Not sure how they calculated that, but i'm just a rookie, so I keep my mouth shut. incidentally, if the 400' won't reach it we add up to 200' more of 1 1/2".

No, I don't think a flow meter has ever been anywhere near our engines.

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Also...the sops i mentioned go into effect UNLESS units have been specifically staged or given another assignment by the BFC.

Thread Information