Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    FFD#60
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Airport Response SOP's

Looking for some information regarding response SOP's on airport tactics. If your dept. has an airport in it's area and you have SOP's on it. We have a little airstrip basically right outside our doors. I'm attempting to update our current SOP's. Any info would be appreciated.

Keep safe.

FireMedicHarding
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Yeah!!! Run like hell and cover your head!

------------------
    Joe Harding
    Firefighter/EMT-P
    Fishers Professional Firefighters Local 416

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have airport E.O's. I could probably fax you a copy if that would help. It might take a day or too. We've been pretty busy ou here. E-mail me

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

FFD#60,
    Be sure to have lots of class B foam....at least 200 gallons!
    Oh yeah, that's right, the foam tank has a leak, so the foam system is OOS.

mauricehodges
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a small airport in Lexington,NC. The
    airport was just updated with a longer
    runway to allow for corp jets. Our SOP's
    are also in the process of being reworked.
    The guidelines as of right now are a first-
    alarm assignment = 3 Engines/1 Ladder Co./-
    Incident Commander.
    If a plane is coming in with trouble,1 Engine
    and the Ladder Co. respond to the terminal,
    while the other two Engine Co's stage on the
    opposite sides of the city near the runway
    in case the plane does not make it to the
    airport. If the incident is already occured
    at the airport, than all units proceed to the airport. Hope this information can be
    some assistance to you. E-mail for any more
    assistance.

Aaron Neely
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well working on an Air force base, most of our emergencies deal with Aircraft. On In Flight Emergencies, all of our trucks stage on the Runway until the A/C touches down then we chase them until they stop (we are on a taxiway that runs parallel to the runway) Our Structual Engine, Tanker and Foam trailer (supplied with 1000 gal of class A foam) all stage for reservicing responsibilities. Depending on the emergency, we may pull a handline from each of our crash trucks (we normally have at least 2 set up on the plane) But in reality, if there is fire, we are more than likely going to use a Roof or bumper Turret with class A foam. On ground emergencies (Hot Brakes, Engine fire on the ground, etc.) We do much of the same, at least 2 crash trucks set up on the a/c, and the structual engine, tanker and foam trailer set up for reservicing. We are alot more likely to auctally use a handline on these, for cockpit fires etc. For hot brakes, we stage at a 45 degree angle from the landing gear 300 ft back for about a half hour (depending on the size of the A/C) Responses to hangars are considered a ground emergency until it is confirmed there is no A/C in the hangar. A good book to read is IFSTA's Airport Firefighter, that along with info you should be able to get from your local airport should help you write some sop's. Chances are if a plane auctally does crash, the fire will extinguish itself for the most part, you just may have some spot fires and pieces of the plane laying around on fire. I hope this has helped you out some.

------------------
    Aaron Neely
    Dyess AFB Fire Dept
    Abilene, TX

Firefighter2197
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

we are the first in fire dept. beside the airport fire dept. to respond if anything happens
    we have several s.o.p. we follow depending on what is happening.
    email me if you want futher.

cruiser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Aaron,
    Just curious, but how aggressive are the firefighters and what size lump is in your throat when a B-1 approches with an inflight emergency and happens to be carrying those big megaton, mushroom cloud making firecrakers? Or do they even bother to tell you? Glad to know we've got protectors protecting our country's protectors!

------------------
    Eric W. Schmitt
    ---CRUISER---
    Assistant Chief
    Harrison Hills VFC #4
    Natrona Heights, PA
    http://www.ak-valleynet.com/harrisonhillsvfc

[This message has been edited by cruiser (edited June 28, 2000).]

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

Spent 17 years as an airfield firefighter based at Farnborough (UK Airshow Base). This coverd both military & private planes. Now based in the civil fire service on a two pump station.

There is so much to cover in tactics. Is it fixed wing or rotary, private or military, armed or nutral, fast or slow impact, mid air emergency declared, how many crew or passengers or is it a 'cassivac ambulance' and what type of fuel onboard and is it heavy or light.

We use to chase up the runway, but a Tornado goes faster than our 32 ton Mk11 or Range Rover RIV's. Better to have groups at either end and then take on the biggest bit when it decides to stop.

If you need any precise info then e-mail me.

p.s. Had an Air Ambulance Augusta A109 crash near our station two weeks ago. Both engines cut out at 300 ft. Just missed a farm house at made a heavy landing in the front paddock. The three crew were OK but the chopper is nackered. Has just been declared a technical fault by the AIB section.

Aaron Neely
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We like to think they tell us exactly what munitions an A/C is carrying, they tell us most of the time (hopefully all the time) . Most of the time with IFE's it is just a routine thing, like an automatic alarm. We still get in full gear and on air and everything, but you just think "not again!" There have been a couple times where I've started to worry, like landing gear that won't come down or problems with stabilizers, or of course an engine on fire or something, but luckily I have yet to see anything bad where anyone gets hurt or dies (at least in an aircraft incident). When we have training fires in a pit, which is filled with jet fuel, we get really aggressive. it is an awesome way to relieve stress and have fun (while being safe of course) it is a whole different world from structual fires.

As for the SOP's for FFD#60, I can't release those (re: our chief) because of the info on our particular aircraft that is in there and things of that sort. you know, the whole govt security thing, but if you have any particular questions feel free to ask and if I don't know the answer, i can find out for you, That's what it's all about, Helping your own!

------------------
    Aaron Neely
    Dyess AFB Fire Dept
    Abilene, TX

[This message has been edited by Aaron Neely (edited July 13, 2000).]

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Sounds like you have plenty of offers of some good help already!

Ours are fairly basic; we are a municipal department but have an ARFF station at the airport and so our setup is likely different than yours. Briefly, units from town stage at positions on the airport until called by the ARFF Capt. Responses are (like Aaron's) coded either alert 2 or 3 and whether it's a commercial flight, it depends on what the call is as to how much you get; 2 has problems, but is still flying... 3 has already splashed down.

My only hint would be to find out what the largest a/c is that uses your airport and then plan accordingly for your department... with the assistance of some of the other's SOPs. Think of the possible number of passengers, amount of fuel (and hence foam), water supply, etc.

Good Luck and Watch yer Topknot

FFD#60
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hey brothers
    Thanks for all of your responses. I'm sorry my damn computer has been giving me some problems lately. Couldn't get back on the net half of the time. Then the other half I've been getting kicked off. I've received some great faxes with a lot of info. Please keep them coming.

------------------
    Keep safe and use your head
    Fishers Fire Dept.
    FF/Medic
    Local 416

FFD#35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey JAM. Good to have you back in the cyber-world. See ya in the morning.

Thread Information