Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    fireman phil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Fires involving fireworks stands

Just wondering, have any of you responded to a fireworks sales tent fire. If so how did your department handle it?

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Fireworks sales are banned in Massachusetts, so that is one problem that we won't have to deal with....hoever, if I had to fight a fire in a fireworks sales tent, I would pull out the DOT guidebook and treat it like any other fire involving explosives...massive evacuations and let the stuff go "boom"!

------------------
    We boldly go where no one else dares...
    take care and stay safe
    Lt. Gonzo

Buck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Where I live, most fire work stands are a basic box on skids. I agree w/ Gonzo you have to treat it like a fire including explosives. I have responded to one on fire before and we evacuated the area and after the booms were over we took a deck gun to the rest, then mopped up with a red line.

[This message has been edited by Buck (edited June 30, 2000).]

MtnFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Since our district has not only a lot of stands, but a large commercial fireworks storage bunker that supplies the municipal scale displays for most of the Northwest, we were curious what would happen. The bunker owner had a large amount of fireworks that need disposal, so in March of '99 he gave them to us and we lit the whole thing with a fusee inside an old stand to see what would happen. We still had snow on the ground, so escape was not a concern.
    What ended up happening was much less than we expected, just very vigorous burning with an occasional wizzer escaping though the cracks. Once the stand itself was pretty much gone we could see a very lively, multi-colored, sparkeling fire. Machine-gun pops and an occasional rocket escaping.
    So, even though we don't expect the massive explosions the movies would have us believe will happen, our SOGs now will be to pretty much let a stand fire burn itself out, protect exposures, chase any grass fire starts, and not endanger anyone. Most of our stands are in rural settings without anything nearby so evacuations will probably not be necessary.

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

Didn't make the scene, but listened to it on the radio.

A couple of years ago, a nearby department had a stand (about 8'x25') go up in flames. First thing the chief said was "nobody get out of the trucks". Unfortunately, it was on the side of a major 5-lane road at 7:00 pm. The first concern was stopping the traffic. Then I think they had their ladder supplied with a 5" and just flooded it.

We preplanned and inspected all the ones in our area, including a 12,000 sq ft retail fireworks store.

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Surround and Drown (from a safe distance).

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Gonzo...
    Not to bust your stones or anything, well, actually I have too...

Let's see...Leo is Commissioner in that burg up Route 20 from you...48 Hours is in town...and just when Leo is worried they might not see any fire...Chinatown...Floor 6 out of 8 (I think)....Hydrants not working...and of course Chinese New Years is coming up...

Just 'cause it ain't legal don't mean they ain't out there!

monte
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've thought about this one for some time. Seems my brother in NH came across an illegal fireworks factory outside of town. After emptying the place of explosives they found the walls and wood floor had been saturated with gun powder. They felt burning the house down would not be a good idea at the time. They waited until winter and torched it. It burned vigorously and incinerated the structure. We have in our district a fireworks warehouse. Not far from a high volume sales gas/mini mart. The warehouse is a year round destination fireworks sales enterprise with high volume sales on the 4th and news years. The warehouse is about 40'x60', and usually maintains a full inventory, even during high sales periods. It's pretty rural at the location, yet on a very busy state highway. All water supply is via tanker and the location has restrited access with one driveway and a rustic wagon trail. By itself this doesn't exceit me, sit back and watch the "fireworks", but for the south-southeast aspect of pine, right adjacent, that the multitudes have built their little bit of heaven in. Protect exposures, don't forget the high volume traffic driving by, shut down the gas pumps, get LE involved and alert homeowners of possible evacuation, set-up staging, mutual aid a few tenders in, and control access. During the summer months, structure triage for defense potential. What have I forgotten?

fjbfour
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

monte,

The camcorder?

------------------
    Frank Billington, #11
    Town of Superior Fire Online

Thread Information