Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Flue Fire Extinguishment using PPV?

The Training Zone segment of Firehouse.com has a downloadable drill that is titled "Extinguishing Chimney Fires with Positive Pressure Ventilation".

Does anyone do this or have any experience with this type of attack?

NFPD206
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have not tried this either but if any one has I would also like to know how well it worked. Sounds like a good idea that we are going to try. Stay safe

------------------
    This is my opinion and my opinion only and does not reflect my department or any organization I belong to.
    Div. Chief-Operations Jeremy Whitehill
    Nixa Fire Protection District
    Nixa, MO

fc80chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Only used it once a couple of years ago and it worked pretty descent. Just be careful with the condition of the chimney and check for fire extension into the walls early in the incident - you don't want to blow fire into the walls or attic spaces or some other areas where you can't see it.

KenBucks
    Firehouse.com Guest

The evolution you refer to stated that a team with a charged line should be on first floor and second floor. How about outside ready to hose down the roof? A great idea to keep guys off the roof but sounds iffy RE: fire spread thru breaches in the chimney wall. Anybody use dry chem " bombs" down the flue?( Plastic baggies full of dry chem dropped down the chimney)?Good luck all...Ken

Chief03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I have read on this idea but we have not used this tech. We do however use chimney bombs with success. A chimney bomb is a load of dry chem put into a bread bag. The use of a thin bag provides for a easy dispersal of the dry chem.

Who dares to teach must
    never cease to learn.
    Jeff

*Chinaman*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

used it "Down Under'. Worked well but:
    1) The chimney that we had to extingush was small. - wouldn't know how it would behave in larger flues/chimneys.
    2) Agree with fc80chief. You have to be careful on the design of the flue. Some of them get redirected into other areas (to heat floorboards or tiles on above floors).

Good luck!

jeffbogden
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sounds like a good idea, but I would however be a bit reserved on using this on a fairly well involved chimney fire just for the reason of the chance of blowing embers up and to the roof/yard and any other exposures, thus adding to the problem...

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

It sounds like it might work on a chimney without cracks that might let the fire extend into the wall or attic. I supose that you just have to guess about it's condition.

TCFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have not had the opportunity to try PPV method, I would agree with the other posts reservations. Guess you won't know until you try it. We use the Dry Chem/baggie bombs, key is to have a thin enough bag so that it melts quickly so the Dry Chem can disperse properly. Have also used Dry Chem extinguisher up the chimney from the firebox, that works well unless the flue is almost totally plugged.

BrianMacc
    Firehouse.com Guest

Before positive pressure is applied, make sure the flue is not plugged! Sometimes it can plug up with creosote or even an obstruction.
    If the chimney fire has a good draft on it's own, and it usually does, we have successfully discharged a dry chemical extinquisher into the flue from the cleanout in the base of the chimney. (no positise pressure). This works nicely, you may have to give it several short bursts.
    We used it the other day on a 30' chimney and it worked good. We could not safely get to the roof to use more traditional tactics.

Brian

Thread Information