Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Promotional Exam Test Question

A couple years ago, I tested for a Liuetenant opening on my department. During the oral interview, I was given a situation and asked how to handle it.

I think I gave the most correct answer, but I was told it was wrong. So, just out of curiosity, I would like to see what my fellow members on the forum would do:

You respond to a 2 story single family dwelling fire. Upon arrival, you are told there are occupants trapped on the 2nd floor.

Where do you deply your FIRST attack line?

A) Send the first line into the building and attack the fire wherever it is found.

B) Send the first line into the building and attempt to gain access to the occupants on the second floor.

If anyone wants to know what my answer was, you will have to contact me via e-mail off-list for obvious reasons...

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

vaff
    Firehouse.com Guest

From your description, Im not sure if the fire is on the first floor or not. I would stretch the first line into the first floor to protect the stairwell. This way we have a protected way of reaching the occupant, and preventing the fire from spreading to the second floor via the stairwell if it is on the first floor. While this is being done have the Truck crew or my driver (depending on what our water supply situation is) throw ladders to access the victims also.
    This would give us a two prong attack, increaseing our chances of accessing the victims quickly.

Just my thoughts

[This message has been edited by vaff (edited September 08, 2000).]

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Metal, I have to agree with Vaff. Unfortunately, not given any other information regarding location of fire, extension, access to second floor, availability of manpower etc., this is a difficult call to make.

I will go with vaff on stretching the FIRST line to preserve the access to the second floor and promote a means of escape, not only for the occupants but also for the first FF. If the fire is on the first floor, a knockdown of the fire while advancing to the 2nd floor is recommended.

Again, if there is manpower available have a second crew set up ladders to the second floor or have the second crew follow the first crew to the 2nd floor for victim removal.

Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

From the choices given I would say B. One of the first things that I was tought, many moons ago, was "PROTECT THE STAIRS".

Find them & get them out. The stairs are normally the fastest & safest route, both to get to them and to remove them.

The damage to the building is the least of my concern. Save the people,then build another building.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Woops... my bad... guess I didn't make that clear enough, but you are on the right track..

The fire "appears" to be on the first floor. You are stuck with one engine crew for the time being (1-engine with 5 men). The scenario had the truck company delayed. So, for the purpose of this question, just deploy the resources you arrived with on the engine.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm pretty much with the others!

Without a lot more knowledge of what the actual scene is...gotta make ASSumptions that go with protect the stairs and work from there...

1) ASSuming the 2nd floors appears to be viable for victims, so a search is a reasonable risk

2) ASSuming that since the fire "appears" to be on the first floor, for some reason it doesn't look like a simple room & contents that you can go in and knock down in a hurry.

By placing the line by the stairs, you minimize the risk to the crew searching for reported life...while concededing the fire itself may grow during the life safety search and damage the building more heavily.

Matt

Thread Information