Fedfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Exothermic Torch

Has anyone had experience with the exothermic torches used for rescue? Pros, Cons, good brands, etc.

NCFiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only experiance I've had with one is when I was in the service. Worked great for getting through bulkheads and such on a ship, very little radiant heat transfered and able to cut up to 2 inch plate steel. Only drawback was going through sticks quickly.
    Looking to get one on your base?

------------------
    Running a code is easy.
    The hard part starts when you bringem back and have a 30-40 min transport

Fedfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah...the white shirts don't like K-12 saws. I tried to show them the newer lighter, better balanced ones, but they think this torch is the way to go. Currently we have chain saws, which are fine for wood, but we can't cut through any of the maintenance bay doors or security bars on some of the older buildings. Gonna bite us in the *** someday.

NCFiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hear ya. Here at our base the white shirts get nervous breaking windows even when we see or smell smoke. Would rather wait for a key holder. Fortunatly our Capt's are pretty aggressave.
    Good luck with the exothermic. Also check out the Navy's DRMO sites or look for a ship being decommissioned. They ussually give them away to other commands.

------------------
    Running a code is easy.
    The hard part starts when you bringem back and have a 30-40 min transport

Shoeless
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

If you are still looking for some info. e-mail me with a number to get a hold of you or an e-mail address & I can have someone from our Dept. get in touch with you. The jakes on the rescue unit we have do have one & have been playing with it a lot recently. You can contact me at ofd142@usa.com

Shoeless

Chief03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I had the chance to use one during a Farm Medic course at the NYS Fire Academy. I thought they were a great thing. They cut fast and dont burn everything around the cutting site. As stated though they do seem to use up sticks fast. For use on farm machinery their the ticket due to the fact the jaws and spreaders are usually left on the rescue. I guess the answer comes down to what are you going to use it on. Get a rep to visit your station and try one out on a junk car. Good luck.

Stay Safe and Train.
    Jeff

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have had a couple of ArcAir torches for years, seem to be hard to keep the battery charged. (You only need the battery to strike the spark...after that it runs on O2 and cutting rods)

We recently got an NAJO torch...much smaller, unless like us, you get 25' of hose, in which case it's the same size as the arcair (but with more hose) I personally wouldn't recommend all this spaghetti, since the unit is portable anyway.

The NAJO torch is nice, easier to start. We use a car jump battery (looks like a plastic briefcase, you can get them at wal-mart) as the starter battery....it connects with an electric coupling that came with our winch. (we can also run our portable winch off the battery)

Thread Information