TXFIRE6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Trapezoid Vent Holes

I was Curious if anyone has ever used cut ventilations holes in roofs in a shpe other than a square? It is common in my department for the guys venting to cut a trapezoid rather than a square. The reason they do this is so when they pivot the cut on the rafter, the larger side of the cut will be up in the air, leaving no chance for the wood to fall through the hole onto interior crews. The holes work great, no extra effort is used, and it is very effective. The Brothers have done this here for nearly 30 years now..Any thoughts on this fellas?

------------------
    Any Opinion expressed, are my own, and do not reflect my Department...RB

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Just added that one to my toolbox...good idea!

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Sounds like a good idea... can you sescribe it a little better? Which side does teh larger cut go, etc.?

Thanks

Jolly Roger

------------------
    Let's not let the honor, tradition, and pride of the fire service erode away.

TXFIRE6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hey Jolly, usually the longest cut is made farthest away from you,prependicular to the pitch(same as for a square hole.) The 2 top and bottom cuts are the same lenght slightly angled in to make the final cut a shorter one. The last one is closest to you, or your roof ladder if used. Push down on the side you made your last cut on, this will leave the larger portion in the air,pivoted on the rafter, with no chance to fall through the hole. Then you can remove the section you cut, or just punch out the ceiling below if needed.Hope it works for ya'.

------------------

Brian
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Nice idea!!
    Although when a trench cut is made, perhaps along a ridge line, and you use the method of cutting between the rafters and folding them down, the nails usually hold them to the rafters until they mostly burn up. Any thoughts?
    Brian

TXFIRE6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree the nails hold the plywood most of the time, the shape is just a little safety measure for those times it falls immediately. I didn't come up with it, just think its a good practice.

------------------

Thread Information