Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydrant Hookup

Stone Cold Firefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Hydrant Hookup

I know this may be a dumb question to somepeople, but im confused here. lets say you have a good working housefire. and the hydrant is at the end of the driveway. now who is suppose to hookup to that hydrant, the pumper or the tanker? ive had different instructors tell me different things. maybe different depts handle it different. i hope i dont sound like an idiot, but id love to know everyones point of view on this.s

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

It would depend on many factors...the arrival time of the second due engine, department SOP/SOG, number of personnel on the rig, etc. Each situation is different.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

sloepoke1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Capt Gonzo is right you should check and see what your dept.s SOP's says first. Then everything else is to be considered, like when next due turck is expected, size of crew, type of situation you find upon arrival ...
    Also remember that the only "dumb" question is the one that is NOT asked! So dont ever fail to ask anything if you are not sure of cause not knowing the answer just might get someone hurt or worse.

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unless we have excess personnel, or the next aparatus is coming round the corner, the engineer would be expected to hook up the supply line.

NFDLT55
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just a thought:
    Have the first due lay a double lay. Have the tanker pick that double lay up and pump into the first due. Probably the best way to do it.

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

On our department, we staff the first engine with 5 people. Two firefighters and an officer would take the attack line, while the engineer engages the pump from the booster tank and then hooks the supply to the pump panel. The remaining firefighter is responsible for hooking the hydrant, and in a situation like this, would probably be assisted by an officer who went direct to the scene.

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best thing to do is use common sense. First, the driver should run back and charge the hydrant to have some type of a water supply asap. The driver/operator should check his residual intake pressure to see if his water supply is sufficient or not. If it's sufficient their maybe no need to put an engine on the hydrant, if it's not sufficient and water is needed the next pumper/tanker to arrive should take the hydrant and boost the pressure as needed.

AXE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with most other reply that you have. Dont quite think the driver would have all the time to check residuals off the hydrant and all that as one reply suggested.

But again, check your dept. SOG`s and also use common sense. Once again, those famous words... each incident is different!

Good question

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Stone Cold,

I have to say the same it depends on your dept. SOG's and the incident at hand. Plus, most MPO's know their water supply. I know what main I'm on and how the water usually is. If its a commercial main, or even a 6" with good pressure, and its at the end of the driveway and I only have about 150' of 5" out, I may take it solo. But if its the 95% of our other hydrants with not-so-good pressure for what we like, then I'll wrap it and let the second due feed me. Which when we do this, he also sends a line (size, amount, depends on residual) to the aerial for standby if needed.

----------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

While I agree with the others on the variables of the situation and your SOP's given those variables should dictate your actions I think your question may have only been partially answered.

You questioned who hooks in, Pumper or Tanker? My vote is the engine (pumper). At least in my department. We like to keep the tanker available for running shuttles, etc should that hydrant either go south or be insufficient for whatever reason.

Hope this helps a little!

[This message has been edited by FFTrainer (edited 04-09-2001).]

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Residual intake pressure is the pressure that is still avaliable or left over from your water supply with hoselines flowing.So for the heck of it say at this house fire we are flowing 1 1-3/4" at about 150gpms from tank water. The driver/operator runs back to the hydrant and charges his supply line and switches his pump over from tank water to hydrant water and checks/looks at his intake presssure at the pump panel and it reads 20psi with the 1 1-3/4" flowing constantly. The driver/operator just checked his residual pressure by looking at the intake gauge, this took about 5 seconds. Another crew pulled another 1-3/4" from this engine opened the nozzle and constantly flowed water. The driver/operator then again checked his residual pressure (which took about 5 seconds)and he noticed it had dropped 10 lbs.to 10psi. The fire conditions continued to worsen and the IC told another crew to pull a 2-1/2 from this engine. The crew then told the driver they were pulling the 2-1/2,the driver checked his residual pressure again(another 5 seconds) which still read 10psi. The driver/operator advised the crew he did not have enough water to place this line in service and then notified the IC of the situation. The crew did not understand. The driver told them that his original intake pressure with one 1-3/4" line flowing was 20psi (residual). When another 1-3/4" line was placed into service, his residual pressure dropped 10lbs. to 10psi (cut in half). He then explained to the crew if they pulled a 2-1/2 (which requires more water than an 1-3/4 )he did not have enough residual pressure (water available) to support that line with the other lines continuing to flow. And that other means would be needed to either boost his pressure or get water from another source. The scene mentioned above is not an untypical fireground. If your driver/operator doesn't have the time to check his residual pressure (which in the above was done 3 times and took at whopping total of 15 seconds, then they are a poor excuse for a driver/operator.

[This message has been edited by oz10engine (edited 04-09-2001).]

no_name_FF
    Firehouse.com Guest

How long is the driveway?

If its 1/2 mile rural street or 25' driveway and pumper is parked in front of hydrant.... makes a difference.

------------------
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Thread Information