fthomasjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool ventilation procedures

Just looking for some opinions on roof ventilations. When is it not okay to go on the roof? Outside of the obvious. Are there signs out there that aren't in "the books"?

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Although it isn't an indicator, This is something I was taught regarding whether it is or isn't a good idea to get on the roof.

--If it is safe to be UNDER the roof then is safe to be ON the roof--

Two cents from a fireman.

NKF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Your answer depends on some critical items. What is the construction? Weather conditions? Ice and slate roofs and bow string truss roofs are a danger to be standing on, What is the pitch of the roof? When you are cutting a roof the fire should be directly on the floor below. If not do not cut! If fire is inpinging directly on the truss or support system do not stand on the roof. Many companies won't stand on the roof at all and must cut from an aerial device. No building is worth one of us. PRE PLAN YOUR AREA

AXE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I dotn agree with the statement if it is safe to be under the roof then it is safe to be on it....

To be honest.... I dont send my guys on the roof unless it is a last ditch effort to ventilate.

However, if the roof shows ANY signs of weakness then dont go!

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am really not convinced of vertical ventilation on residential house fires. Although there are situations that warrant it, I believe it is way over used. I can't tell you how many times I have watched the news and saw a team cutting the roof while fire vented out a attic window. That doesn't make any sense. It was already vented. On almost every residential fire horizontal ventilation is sufficient. On commercial buildings or multiple dwellings it a whole different ball game.

LadderCapp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Chief, don't confuse an over-used tactic for an ineffective tactic. Yes it is over-used by several who don't truly understand the purpose or alternatives to vertical venting. But for example, in one area of my response district houses of incredible size, and price tags I may add, are common. So don't group the Single family dwelling to 15 to 2000 sq.ft. Horizontal venting, especially in positive pressure mode is a wonderful tool, the most effective tactic change to hit the fire service in years. But don't underestimate the old school tactics either.

Thread Information