Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LDH: What side?

flash32
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question LDH: What side?

In my FD's district we have some pretty long driveways, leading back to houses and barns, so we drop LDH from the road. Here is the Question: House fire on a back road. Straight gravel driveway up to the house. The house is on the left, at the end of the drive. LDH is dropped by the first engine. What side do you pull the LDH off to, so the ladder can get in when it comes? (left or Right) Why?

------------------
    Adam J. Dorn

These are my opinions and not of any group or org. that i belong to.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Since the house is on the left side I would say that you would place your supply hose along the right side of the driveway so that the ladder company can be parked as close to the house as possible without being impeded by the LDH.

G

steveo
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am also going to go with the right side. Reason being you will 90% of the time have a little extra or alot of extra hose. Having it going to the right will give the hose a way to sort of loop out of the way, giving the ladder a clear shoot to the house. -steve

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to go with the right side too. We foolw the same procedure for the hydrant being on the opposite side of the street. House on left, hydrant on right...lay down the right side and cross over in front of the fire building.....

Dave

------------------
    In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

>> I have to go with the right side too. We foolw (sic) the same procedure for the hydrant being on the opposite side of the street. House on left, hydrant on right...lay down the right side and cross over in front of the fire building.....

That's a good general rule, but the answer to this is that there is no hard and fast rule. In this case, if the ladder needs to get up the driveway and cut in front of the house or simply pull behind the engine to deploy, laying LDH up the right side of the driveway may work best (depending on where you put the engine). However, you may find situations similar to this where the ladder is best deployed by passing the engine and going to the rear of the house. In that case, the side to lay the LDH on is the side that best allows the ladder to pass the engine, which could be right or left.

As I've said before in answers to questions like this (as have many others on the forums), it comes down to effective size-up, determination of the optimal strategy for the incident, and choice of the best tactics to fit the strategy, not to simple "do this each time" rules. Here, if the engine arrives first, the driver or officer needs to figure out where the engine is best deployed, then where the ladder is best deployed, then figure out what combination of LDH lay and engine placement allows the ladder to get to where it needs to be. There are many possible combinations that solve this, depending on placement of the building(s), slope (or not) of the yards, etc.

[This message has been edited by Bob Snyder (edited 05-02-2001).]

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Answer also depends which side of the driveway the hydrant that you hit is on.

eyecue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Side opposite the exhaust pipe. Ever seen LDH burn through from exhaust?

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

What side do you pull the LDH off to, so the ladder can get in when it comes?

Our 1st in Engine-Tank will go right in to fire attack. Then the Ladder. Then the 2nd due ET lays a line in, and if the 2nd due ET arrives from another station a minute or two ahead of the ladder, we'll hold it till the ladder gets in.

It does strand an extra ET at the scene, but it gets our 1st ET to get water on the fire sooner and the Ladder doesn't worry about the hose.

The hose at the end of the driveway then will either be supplied by Tanker Shuttle or our Engine will reverse lay to water, or both (tankers pump the line until the laid line is ready).

Gotta love those long driveways. I ordered my Leather Boots the morning after hiking up a 1/2 mile long driveway to a fatal house fire (hmmm, 3am, 1/2 mile into the woods, can you say fully involved & delayed notification?). Our 1st in ET went to the fire, then the next two ETs each with 1200' of 5" laid in one after the other, then we still hand jacked a couple hundred feet of 4" from the first due ET to make the lay.

Thread Information