Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Lets see what you would do here?

I hope i can give enough information to let everyone form a good response.

Its midnight and your station has been dispatched to a working apartment fire. The structure is a 2 story complex with 4 units on the top floor on one side of the fire wall and 4 units on the other side. There is a total of 16 units in this building. The stairwell is located in the center of the building and can be accessed from the #1 and #3 sides. Upon arrival the first in company reports heavy fire showing from the #1 and #4 sides from the apartment on the #1 side and heavy smoke showing from the apartment located on the #3 and #4 side as well as heavy smoke from the eves on the #4. The wind is blowing from the #4 side to the #2 side about 10 mph. Upon arrival you also notice that you have a woman standing at the window on the 2nd apartment on the #1 side screaming she is trapped. You have a 2 & 2 on this box (2 engines and 2 trucks) and your 2nd alarm would generate an addtional 2 & 1. Your closest hydrant is about 300' feet from the fire scene. This structure is located in the rear of the property and only has 1 entrance that forms a loop in front of the building and goes back out. There are cars parked in front of the building and it sits about 25' away from the road. Also there is 2 large trees in the front of the apartments that is just a bit lower than the tops of the building.

There is your senerio. Now lets hear what you would do here. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

We see a know victim, so that is priority number one. Assuming the first truck company arrives with the first engine, they get a ground ladder to the victim and get her out. When she's out they commence a primary search of the fire building.
    First engine takes a 1 3/4" inside and using tank water begins fire attack. Second engine reverse lays 300' LDH to first engine and establishes water supply. They then bring a second line to the burning apartment. Second truck opens the roof over the side 1-4 appartment. Second alarm companies are used for search, backup lines, utility control, and for relief of first alarm companies.

If the first engine arrived alone, then they would have had to throw a 24' extension ladder for the visible victim and then worry about getting a hoseline in place.

------------------
    Mike Gentili, Capt.
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ya know, the more and more I worked on an answer...

The more I had to say, "Just Like Mike."

Thought of blitzing it, but since the woman was trapped figured the fire was probably already in the hall, and I don't want to push it further into there.

If I have a spare person, might add PPV to pressurize the hall and make it more tenable for the crew and especially any civilians coming out of their apartments.

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bang a 2nd and have them stage.(If you need them they're close).
    Have the engine companies establish a water supply, pull a couple of 1-1/2" and put the fire out.
    Have the truck companies do search & rescue (including the obvious one) and ventilation.

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like Mf said, ground ladder to the victim if the fire is blowing into the common hallway, using the ole alley raise if the trees are a problem. Bang the 2nd alarm upon arrival. While that's going on, truck operator can set up for aerial ops to be ready for vent ops on that roof, or if we start to loose it elevated master stream. 1st in engine directly to the scene, 2nd due picks up the plug and lays in. 1st engine off tank water put the deck gun into the apt. on side 1 w/ the heavy fire. (I know some of you don't like this, but it will knock some fire down, and from the way I read the post I doubt anyone is able to sustain life in that room, I read it as the woman was in the 2nd apt. on side 1 which means she's only really getting a face full of smoke). Stretch 2 attack lines to the heavy fire apartment, get 2 up to the other. 2nd truck to side 4, aerial up for 2nd means of egress off the roof, and to address smoke from the eaves. The OVM's off the trucks can get up to the aparments above and conduct primaries. Next 2 due engines can look for additional water supply to side 4, 3rd truck as FAST/RIT, unless primaries are running slow. Then another Truck M/A for FAST/RIT.

The last thing I wanted to add is I'd have someone go to the top aparmtents on the opposite side of the firewall and if there are trap doors, see if the #1 the firewall meets the roof (if its not obvious from the initial size up), and #2 what condition is it in. Did the plumbers and electricians make it into swiss cheese. The heavy smoke from the eaves makes me a little concerned that the old common cockloft is gonna come into play. That's why I like the deck gun on the heavy fire, if we don't get goin quick you mind as well kiss the roof goodbye.
    Good post, and good opinions everyone, I really enjoyed reading them.

==========================================
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think it's a good idea to deck gun an occuppied apt, espicially if you don't have a water supply, you'll depleat your tank very quick and may not have to much water available for the 1st handline.

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like I said Oz, not everyone agrees with this. The way I read it, that apartment is unknown if it is occupied, and also I read it that with the volume of fire, there isn't much room for survival. Secondly, the way my stations are, the 2nd due wouldn't be far behind to pick up the hydrant, and by the time the lines are stretched you should have plenty of water. As far as the deck gun goes, I look at it this way steam burns, fire kills.
    Its just like everything else, we don't use 1 1/2".
    ==========================================
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Thread Information