Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Attention Truckie's!!!!!

What is the favorite part to you while working as a member of the truck. Also what is your favorite tool to pack an why?

I love truck work just for the ladders and ventalation. There is nothing better than peeling open the roof! My favorite tool is a halligan. There is just so many thing that you can do with the bar that just cant be done with other tools.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have always liked working with the hoseline, opening up, checking for extension. Ventilation both roof and horizontal is OK too. Basically anytime I can break things with a reason.

Either a 6' Boston Rake, or the flathead/haligan combo.

------------------
    May your vents be leeward, your searches be negative, and your overhaul complete......
    FTM-PTB-EGH

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

The two things that I love more than anything in firefighting are interior V.E.S. work, and roof work. Tools of choice are: in order... the T-N-T, irons (interior), and any gasoline powered saw (roof) with the right blade for the job.

---------------
    TRUCKIE FOREVER

51Truck_K
    Firehouse.com Guest

Definitly the V-E-S stuff, carring the can and a 6 foot hook.......But by far the best is being the Officer in charge a fine tuned truck company, guys that make you look good withou having to open your mouth! And the TIC I carry now

------------------
    FTM - PTB

Detroit Fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Driving the truck. Setting up the PPV (FAN) putting the stick on to the roof. Flowing water out of the tower Love to see everyone get out of the way for the big truck comming through

Truck36CAPT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

The BEST part is rolling over and going back to sleep when the engine goes out for medical aid calls.

The most fun is V-E-S. I've spent the majority of my career on engines, but doing a search above the fire is a thrill that most hose monkeys never get.

As far as tools...I never leave the truck without a can and a pick head axe.

Lt.Houck
    Firehouse.com Guest

My favorite part of the ladder company is the variaty and level of responsability that falls on the truckies. We run five or four man ladder companies at my work(depending if someone is off), with 2 engines and one truck do on most boxes. The Chauffer and Officer take the outside and myself and the seach seat take the inside. It is our job to search, find the seat of the fire, check for and locate any extension, rescue victims, secure the utilities, ventilate as needed. The only thing the engine has to do is stretch the line to the fire. We are also much more free to mover through out the structure with out the hose line slowing us down.

As for tools, I always ride Irons or force entry seat. So I carry the Irons and K tool on house fires, and on highrise and commercial structures I drag along the rabbit tool.

Keep safe out there truckies!

[This message has been edited by Lt.Houck (edited 06-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lt.Houck (edited 06-25-2001).]

HallwaySledge
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I love everything about truck co. work, but, if I had to pick I think I would say primary search. Granted, not many fires we respond to will have someone trapped or missing, but I like the possibility and being the recon for the rest of the companies. Vent-as-you-go and forcible entry are my next favorites followed by roof work. It's not that I dislike roofwork, but I would rather be inside.

If you can't tell by my screename my favorite tool is the hallwaysledge, or cut-down sledgehammer, followed a close second by the halligan.

------------------
    The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect those of my Department or it's Administration.

Ggg
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

The best part of truck work is going on more fire calls than the engines do because there is allways fewer ladders than engines so you get to " cross town" more often. A word to the wise concerning Truck36CAPT comment on med calls. The truckies on my dept.(myself included) used to tease the engine guys all the time about them "wakeing us up when they went to, or came back from all those med runs last night" or " how good the nights sleep was without any runs". Well it cought up to us, now the ladders as well as the quints all have thier own med stills. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. My favorite tool is the big stick w/a prepiped master stream. But by far the coolest job on the truck is the tiller!

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Venting is the best!!!!

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, my favorate tool:Boston Hook

Trkco1
    Firehouse.com Guest

A can and a hook.......favorite part of being assigned to a Truck co......VES, searching with the TIC and no med runs.

------------------
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Talking

Favorite parts of being a truckie???

An excuse to break things.........

and leaving all that hose for the Engine boys to pick up! Just kidding it's a team effort out there especially on these 90+ degree days this week!

Favorite tool??

IRONS!

Sawzall

Forum Member

Cap, what I like best about truck work is that you have to be thinking about what you're doing all the time. This is not to insult the enginemen (sorry guys no disrespect meant). But what I do mean is "do I vent or not", "where should I search", "Which door do I force", etc. Also, while part of an overall team, truckies are more independant that engine guys. And, there is a tremendous assortment of tools.

Forum Member

HOSE MONKEYS..., man that was low truck36,I'm just really surprised we found 13 truckies that can actually type....(Put one on the books for the engine guys..)

I apologize if I offended anyone with the "hose monkey" comment. Keep in mind, I've been a fireman for 18 years (since the days of riding the backstep, silver dollar Scotts and 3/4 boots) and spent 15 of them on engine companies...so I am a hose monkey at heart. But I must say I do love being a ladder captain.

Forum Member

Hey Capt, sorry for the misunderstanding, I really was only kidding..I was on the opposite end, I was a truckie until I got promoted to Lt. on the engine, so I'm a truckie at heart. And I'll even be honest with you, when the truck is searching, especially pulling off a VES, there is definitely a little bit of jealousy going on..

Forum Member

Hey, this is my first time writing, so forgive me if I screw up.With that said, I've Been blessed to have been on a truck most of my career. And without a doubt the best part of truck work is while picking up, listening to the engine co. brag about how easy it was to make the room or the hall, and our truck co. can smile knowing they wouldn't have made it through the front door without us. whether they realize it or not.

Forum Member

My favorite part of being a trucki.. Its your 5th working fire after midnight you have been up all night your to the point of being exhausted, your dirty smokey. The engine crew has the fire out just hitting hot spots. Its you, your boss and the trialman just out of school. light steam and smoke comming out of the holes you just choped. You stop sit back listen to the birds singing Watch the engine guys loadding all the hose they pulled off (laughing) and watch the sun come up. Knowing that you would not trade this job for anything else in the world.

Forum Member

Geez, Detroit Fire you've got my eyes welling up with tears

you hit the nail on the head with the statement of wouldn't trade our job for anything else in the world

Stay Safe!

im a new truckie with a vol dept in ny.
    the thought of breaking things wildly was a big misconception after i got in and found out there has to be a reason for bustin someone's house up. nothing is more exciting than callin out "takin the door chief, or taking the window chief", even if there isnt a chief there you gotta cover yourself. every set of tools has its advantages but, im more confident with a can and pike pole. (since our engine co's rarely pull line or hit a hydrant)

favorite part of the job?Reminding hose monkey's that we are the ones getting the smoke and heat off them(just kidding about the hose monkey's NOT lol)
    Fav tool anything that will break cut twist pry tear rend destroy etc etc.I always take an axe(pick head of course) and a halligan for interior.
    Plus we get to wear the cool leather belts that can help us carry half the equipment on the truck for cryin out loud!
    Fav job opening up and watching the reaction of the guys inside when they come out and say"Wow it was snotty for a few minutes then boom it cleared out."
    Stay safe and always sound as you go. Truckies are nothing more than highly paid vandals(from a jealous hose monkey)

I went to a Truck Company class taught by two of New Yorks finest. He said the best thing about being a Truckie was that you get to do all the things your mother told you not to as a child. Break things, play with fire, get dirty and curse. And since Im here, Ill stir it up a little...my favorite tool is the fire hose....go hit something with a pike pole ya bums! Make way for the engine trash!!!
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Thread Information